films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

polystyle

The Road

Sorry to include the film version of "The Road" on this list ...
After a very short theatrical run ( 2 weeks ? ), it appears on Cable now.
Some eye candy 'world's end' tones and images ( blasted areas of Mt St. Helens, run down Penn. ),
but whole feel was rather flat imo.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I saw the first half of Ginger Snaps the other day (please, just don't ask). We turned it off because my gf couldn't cope with the excessive menstruation-themed gore, which I wasn't particularly enjoying either.

The lead character was a quite hilarious study in moody-goth-teen-rebel cliches, however, and also quite fit. Didn't come close to rescuing the film though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Nothing wrong with watching Ginger Snaps - not that I have, obviously.

Menstruation-themed gore is a great subgenre though.

Started watching Postcards from the Edge. Not as good as I'd hoped for a Carrie Fisher quasi-autobiog.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Sorry to include the film version of "The Road" on this list ...
After a very short theatrical run ( 2 weeks ? ), it appears on Cable now.
Some eye candy 'world's end' tones and images ( blasted areas of Mt St. Helens, run down Penn. ),
but whole feel was rather flat imo.

I kinda liked the absolute bleakness of that film, although I disliked the way they that the boy was magically rescued at the end. Also the interplay of the Woman and Man discussing killing themselves was quite gripping... but... then she just walks out into the night.
Another thing that annoyed me was that in some of the shots you could see what were obviously green conifers with needles/leaves on them edited to look grey.

On the whole though it was much better than Valhalla Rising, which I just watched and wouldn't recommend to anyone.
Kinda like an amateurish art house action film. ish.

polystyle

hear you Awesome,
I REALLY wanted to get into this !
The book gets the 'bleak' across much better imo.
Dad being 'religious' and looking to 'heaven' , not sure that was in the book ,
but could be wrong.
What was Valhalla Rising ?

Noted The Road's score by one Nick Cave and crew ...
didn't pop out at you, passed on by but saw the name in credits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Valhalla Rising?

It's a film about a mute barbarian(viking?) man supposedly going to the holy land, but ending up in Hell/North America instead.

Torturing dialogue, no explanation of the back-story, numerous plot holes...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Valhalla Rising?

It's a film about a mute barbarian(viking?) man supposedly going to the holy land, but ending up in Hell/North America instead.

Torturing dialogue, no explanation of the back-story, numerous plot holes...

I quite liked Valhalla Rising, given that I was expecting a Viking gore swordfest and got Aguirre-era Herzog in Scotland instead. I don't think I'd choose to see it but it was a nice video rental mistake, and I liked the fact it actually got made. I don't think the dialogue was tortuous, just kinda sparse but I guess it may have been in 1000AD. I liked Philip French's review of it being 'like watching woad dry'.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Vertigo.

Frankly, silly, hysterical.

I gotta say, I finally got around to watching this one just this year and I could not for the life of me figure out why it almost unanimously gets called one of the greatest movies of all time. I figured that I'd look it up and find most of the film's enthusiasts citing innovative fim techniques and technological feats beyond my ken, but no! they talk about the film's story!

I'll give that it was complex and fucked with the movie-goers expectations, but as Craner has pointed out here it was also.... well, it was also fucking ridiculous.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's definitely my favourite of the Hitchcock films I've seen but that's by no means exhaustive. I remember enjoying the plot even if it's not necessarily realistic.

craner

Beast of Burden
The thing Vertigo really has going for it is the cinematography -- i.e. the beautiful technicolour pans of San Francisco. As for the freeze over scorching passion that is, supposedly, the key to this film's beauty -- well, I just saw starch and hysteria. I know everyone says you have to rewatch it a few times to fully grasp Vertigo's brilliance -- well, fine, but how many times until I can legitimately decide or feel that it's actually not that good?

Last night I watched Orson Welles' Touch of Evil and its total, across-the-board magnificence made Vertigo look even smaller and sillier than it did before.

STN

sou'wester
Last time I watched Touch of Evil I had to go for a little run to calm myself down so I could sleep.

grizzleb

Last time I watched Touch of Evil I had to go for a little run to calm myself down so I could sleep.
Ha! I'm glad it's not just me who gets like this sometimes after getting a bit too into a film or something. Sweating like fuck, ideas bouncing round yer dome a mile a minute. Haha.

I've not seen Touch Of Evil but I can quite believe it trounces Vertigo - Welles is maybe my favourite director. However, Vertigo is a great film. The best bits about it are the cinematography, the luminous colours and the like, but also it's a fucking weird film whatever way you look at it. It's not believable, but it's not meant to be. It's a bizarre sort of dream.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Vertigo is mental and disturbing, and that's enough.

Just seen Two Lovers, with Joaquim Phoenix and Gwyneth Paltrow. Shockingly brilliant, can't recommend this enough.

luka

vertigo is my favourite film. but ive only watched it once when i was 16 but its still my favourite. touch of evil was alright but a bit boring. i watched citizen kane with craner and we both found it a bit boring. welles kafka thing was quite good though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
vertigo is my favourite film. but ive only watched it once when i was 16 but its still my favourite. touch of evil was alright but a bit boring. i watched citizen kane with craner and we both found it a bit boring. welles kafka thing was quite good though.

The Trial? Can't beat Anthony Perkins and Jeanne Moreau in a film - their scene(s?) together alone (unintentional Crowded House interpolation) is worth watching it for.