Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    trip to the cinema with mistersloane. don't go there
    Either you're in the biz, have wonky tastes or are way too indulgent of mates with wonky taste
    a bit of biz yeah but 'flood' cos, London flooding, right? cool! but no. no. no. no. no.
    Saw IV with nephew, I wanted to see Ratatouille...
    TMNT with partner's nephew (the film looked great though)
    and Resident Evil 3 cos I was in Africa and it was BUCKETING with rain and had to stay indoors, and, believe, it was the best selection of a very bad bunch.

I watch a DVD a day on average and you get these stretches where all the films are dreck. Bad film juju or something.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    babel

fucking hell, what a waste of my time
    and mine. sweet jesus, there was about 90mins of movie there stretched into 140

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I suppose it is rather a latecomer to the whole Hollywood-action-cop-thriller-set-in-a-West-Country-village genre...

Why don't you watch it and decide for yourself? You might be surprised.
    i thought this was pretty good cos they'd got the rank and file and petty bureaucracies of a small westcountry town spot on.

i thought control was pretty terrible.

what is it with these films (that Johny Cash movie comes to mind) where they make no attempt to depict or explain what makes these legends tick? or why they are great in the eyes of many. none what so ever. i guess they assume that who ever is coming to see it is a fan already... but so much could have been done with Curtis' short career and life. oh well.

and mine. sweet jesus, there was about 90mins of movie there stretched into 140
    There are few rules in life I go by, but this is one of them:

IF SEAN PENN IS IN IT, DO NEVER WATCH IT

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    There are few rules in life I go by, but this is one of them:

IF SEAN PENN IS IN IT, DO NEVER WATCH IT
    You're confusing Babel with 21 Grams, another deeply dull film by the same director.

Actually, I will defend Penn even tho he's a pompous tit who makes far too many self-important films. I like him in Mystic River.

You're confusing Babel with 21 Grams, another deeply dull film by the same director.

Actually, I will defend Penn even tho he's a pompous tit who makes far too many self-important films. I like him in Mystic River.
    Yeh, the scene where he realizes the dead girl is his daughter is very powerful.

Strange that so many like Ratatouille. After half an hour or so I couldn't bear it any more and had to leave. Enormously tedious. Maybe I should have hung in there.
    Last edited by Dial; 29-01-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Northern Lights, depressingly bad butchering of one of the most imaginative 'kids' book since tolkein.

A Scanner Darkly

Quote Originally Posted by muser View Post
    Northern Lights, depressingly bad butchering of one of the most imaginative 'kids' book since tolkein.

A Scanner Darkly
    Northern Lights was extremely difficult to sit through. What happened to the Church being the ruthless villains of the piece?
    A Scanner Darkly was impressive though. One of my favourite Dick stories, beautifully presented. Never would have thought they would get all those big names to play Arcter's flatmates, but because every frame is drawn over they don't overshadow the story.
    What was the name of that Linklater film where this animation effect first appeared, philosophical rant-wise they're both quite similar....
    when the going gets weird the weird turn pro

"A Scanner Darkly"
    Don't understand that at all, I thought that this was great. Very funny in bits and very true to the (brilliant) book.

"What was the name of that Linklater film where this animation effect first appeared, philosophical rant-wise they're both quite similar...."
    Waking Life?

that's the one. Another recent film was 'Babel'. It's like 'Amores Perros' but occurring across several continents...
    If you haven't seen it, that was also directed by Alejandro Gonzalez, and consisted of several separate narratives that inter-cut throughout, and finally all converge in the final scene.

It's great because with his films you tend to harbour a favourite character (mine was the deaf-mute Japanese girl who does pills and licks dentists) and you wait for the next 'installment' of their story.
    when the going gets weird the weird turn pro

sweeny todd

ended up walking out, as i was walking to the front a guy started laughing at me.

Quote Originally Posted by tomd View Post
    sweeny todd
    There was a fairly decent BBC adaptation of that story a couple of years ago, with Ray Winstone in suitably menacing form in the title role. The depiction of life in 18th century London was impressively grim. Worth watching if they repeat it at some point.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    There was a fairly decent BBC adaptation of that story a couple of years ago, with Ray Winstone in suitably menacing form in the title role. The depiction of life in 18th century London was impressively grim. Worth watching if they repeat it at some point.
    yeah it was great - i can't face watching this film
    did you ever see this
    amazing
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/totheendsoftheearth/

Quote Originally Posted by tomd View Post
    sweeny todd

ended up walking out, as i was walking to the front a guy started laughing at me.
    It was pretty bad, but pretty much exactly what you would expect from the set up. I mean its Tim Burton doing Sweeny Todd with Johnny Depp and the rest his usual cast. It was so predictably carried off I'm pretty sure someone pretending to be Tim Burton could have made the same movie. To be honest my expectations were so low I actually found myself enjoying it. Ali G raised a smile.