Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast

Thread: films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

What other animal is better equipped to survive? Do deer build bunkers and stockpile food?
    Last edited by droid; 10-01-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    What other animal is better equipped to survive? Do deer and squirrels build bunkers and stockpile food?
    Bunkers and stockpiles of food will keep you going a couple of weeks at best. Animals would survive in woods, in the mountains, caves and whatnot far more likely than "civilised" humans in cities which quickly would spiral into utter chaos if their supply of service would break down.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
    im not a blockbuster hater, but star wars should die.
    Star Wars is the EDM of cinema really, where the spectacle of the merchandise is all that matters not the actual film. Which is true for any blockbuster to some extent, but being a "Blockbuster" seems to be the only reason the Star Wars franchise is being kept alive. (That said, I liked the first two)
    Last edited by firefinga; 10-01-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    That reminds me: the Blair Witch Project managed to completely avoid the usual Horror pitfall of showing too much and (for me, at least) was chilling right up to and after the final frame.

I realise many people find the Blair Witch Project tedious and/or absurd, but what can I say? I shat myself.
    I am a huge horror fan and can honestly say, not a single horror movie ever scared me. That said, I saw Blair Witch when it was originally shown in the theaters (showing my age here) in my late teens and it was one of the most boring movies ever. Possibly bc it was hyped so much and totally didn't live up to it, it was alongside The Matrix the first movie really getting hyped over the internet before the actual release.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Bunkers and stockpiles of food will keep you going a couple of weeks at best. Animals would survive in woods, in the mountains, caves and whatnot far more likely than "civilised" humans in cities which quickly would spiral into utter chaos if their supply of service would break down.
    There's people out there, right now, with several years, possibly decades of food stockpiled - but apart from that, the characters in the road are rural based, not urban, and the journey depicted in the film takes place years after the apocalyptic event - the boy is born in the midst of it.

Animals may well survive a cataclysm better then humans, but would be far less likely to survive the following decade of nuclear winter, being unable to open cans or eat ash.

After an asteroid strike or major nuclear war photosynthesis stops. The food chain collapses. Its called a major extinction event for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    After an asteroid strike or major nuclear war photosynthesis stops. The food chain collapses. Its called a major extinction event for a reason.
    You love apocalypse too much, Droid. Life survives always, life even will survive the existance of humans.

Sure, there will be cockroaches, creatures in the deep oceans, small rodents etc. no question, and given another 10 million years or so, perhaps even sentient life.

However, this does not negate the fact that your criticism is, at best, bizarre. No birds will sing in the decades - probably centuries or millenia after a mass extinction event, if ever.

Also, dont mistake knowledge for love.

Recently seen on TV: All Is Lost (2013). It's not totally crappy, but to really appreciate it I guess you need to have a thing for sailing.

But the road isnt about the apocalypse anyway. Its just a frame.

Star Wars is the EDM of cinema really, where the spectacle of the merchandise is all that matters not the actual film.
    That's a completely ridiculous statement. There's millions of Star Wars fans across the globe who passionately care about the stories and characters, literally love them. Whether that's sane or not is another issue, but this "Universe" Lucas kick-started clearly resonates beyond the merchandise.

Somebody still has an x-wing in their parents attic.

How does the road compare to that haeneke one... Time of the Wolf or whatever... I quite liked that. I'm a fan of post apocalyptic films

Its similar in many ways, the lack of explanation of the catalyst, the bleakness of the scenario, but also quite a different proposition, less formal and allegorical.

Reckon the road is better read first though.

free fire. if it was anyone but ben wheatley who made this, i doubt it would get all the good reviews its had. 90 mins of a threadbare plot (its basically a video game intro kind of setup), non characters, almost witty dialogue, and stupid/nasty sub tarantino cartoon violence. though if you liked 7 psychopaths (another sub tarantino film), you might like it. its very much as youd expect from a british director trying to do a slick american action movie, but without the sort of self awareness of something like hot fuzz. be interesting to see if it gets him hollywood work though.