Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread: films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

Yeah I didn't like that they made Pennywise a transexual who killed children with microaggressions either

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

I'm seriously considering the possibility that A Quiet Place might be the worst film I've seen in my entire life. Worse than 21 Grams, which was so committed to being the worst that it hired Sean Penn *and* Charlotte Gainsbourg, arguably the two least gifted actors on planet Earth. I didn't think that it was actually possible to undercut this, but John Krasinki may have done it by maximising the possibilities inherent in the lamest screenplay of all time.

Just out of curiosity, was anyone here masochistic enough to put themselves through The Emoji Movie? With Sir Patrick Sir Stewart voicing the turd? I'm sort of tempted to see it just to see how bad it can actually be, but the reviews I've read of it make me wonder if I might be risking permanent psychic damage by doing so.

A user review on IMDB started with "This is by far the worst film I have seen in my hopefully short life."
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    I'm seriously considering the possibility that A Quiet Place might be the worst film I've seen in my entire life. Worse than 21 Grams, which was so committed to being the worst that it hired Sean Penn *and* Charlotte Gainsbourg, arguably the two least gifted actors on planet Earth. I didn't think that it was actually possible to undercut this, but John Krasinki may have done it by maximising the possibilities inherent in the lamest screenplay of all time.
    its another one of these 'adult'/'mature'/arthousey sort of horror films.
    it seemed like the first episode of a new series like american horror story, rather than a stand alone film to me.
    pretty weak overall though i did like the idea of it. but you could sense what was coming, and the death of the parent (wont say which one just in case) was like they were just desperate for something to get an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    This is the most hyperbolic review that's ever been written

The least gifted actors I've seen in my life (in both talent and, arguably, existential fortune) have starred in films where nudity is compulsory.

Admittedly, Kit Harrington is up there

N.b. didn't mean to make a joke re GoT's compulsory nudity there

I've not seen a quiet place btw

But it would have to go some way, I suspect, to even be as bad as The Meg, which I saw last week. And can Sean Penn, smug woman beater that he is, be any less gifted a leading man than Jason Statham?

The wrong Penn brother died.

Sean's pretty unbearable but was good in "Milk" and "Mystic River".

Wrong thread to bring this up in I suppose but I watched(albeit lazily) 'Capote' recently and it reminded me how good Philip Seymour Hoffman was. Mannered, yes, as most actors are, but unique in being able to expose his vulnerability and despair on camera.

Decent film, too, and made me pick up In Cold Blood again.

Anyone seen Sorry to Bother You (I guess most of our Stateside members will have)? I was sorely disappointed - the idea was fascinating but I'd much rather read an interview with Boots Riley about politics tbh. The whimsical parts sat really badly with the subject matter - at times (it wasn't this bad but) it was like Wes Anderson or the Coen Brothers. No emotion, no 3D characters. By all means be didactic if the subject matter deserves it, but mixing it with whimsy is just awful. Too bad, as Lakeith Stanfield and Tessa Thompson would make a dream pairing with a better script.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 18-10-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Breaking a long silence to chip in and say that Baboon aint being hyperbolic - at least about 21 Grams as a whole, it's one of the worst films I've ever seen too. I hate that director in fact, he's the guy who did Babel (awful) and Amores Peros (almost as bad), in short he just consistently produces stupid bollocks that thinks it's clever but isn't which is one of the worst things art can do.

I finally got round to Mother by Aaronofsky the other day. I started to watch it previously and got interrupted but this time we sat through the whole stinking shebang. I dunno why I keep trying with this guy, I hate all his films even though they often sound interesting on paper. I think it's cos (kinda like Gaspar Noe) I feel that he is one of the few directors out there actually trying hard to make good films - a lot just seem to have given up. Unfortunately (also like Noe) he just doesn't know how to do it. But maybe one day eh? But not this time.