films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

droid

Sure, there will be cockroaches, creatures in the deep oceans, small rodents etc. no question, and given another 10 million years or so, perhaps even sentient life.

However, this does not negate the fact that your criticism is, at best, bizarre. No birds will sing in the decades - probably centuries or millenia after a mass extinction event, if ever.

Also, dont mistake knowledge for love.

firefinga

Recently seen on TV: All Is Lost (2013). It's not totally crappy, but to really appreciate it I guess you need to have a thing for sailing.

craner

Beast of Burden
Star Wars is the EDM of cinema really, where the spectacle of the merchandise is all that matters not the actual film.

That's a completely ridiculous statement. There's millions of Star Wars fans across the globe who passionately care about the stories and characters, literally love them. Whether that's sane or not is another issue, but this "Universe" Lucas kick-started clearly resonates beyond the merchandise.

luka

How does the road compare to that haeneke one... Time of the Wolf or whatever... I quite liked that. I'm a fan of post apocalyptic films

droid

Its similar in many ways, the lack of explanation of the catalyst, the bleakness of the scenario, but also quite a different proposition, less formal and allegorical.

Reckon the road is better read first though.

rubberdingyrapids

free fire. if it was anyone but ben wheatley who made this, i doubt it would get all the good reviews its had. 90 mins of a threadbare plot (its basically a video game intro kind of setup), non characters, almost witty dialogue, and stupid/nasty sub tarantino cartoon violence. though if you liked 7 psychopaths (another sub tarantino film), you might like it. its very much as youd expect from a british director trying to do a slick american action movie, but without the sort of self awareness of something like hot fuzz. be interesting to see if it gets him hollywood work though.

firefinga

I went to see "It" - and it pretty much sucked. It would have been ok if it wasn't overfraught with token political correctness and racial stereotyping.

firefinga

I watched the following as a teenager and re-watched it recently:

California (1993) , one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Starring a very young Brad Pitt as a redneck murderer, Juliette Lewis as his gf and David Duchovny as a yuppie-writer. Very early-mid 90s with it's serial-killer general topic the first half was somewhat bearable, but the second half is just awful and ridiculous (the showdown on the atomic testing ground :crylarf: The over-acting and exagerating of the Redneck-cliches of Lewis/Pitt is just beyond.

That movie is catastrophically bad

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah I didn't like that they made Pennywise a transexual who killed children with microaggressions either

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm seriously considering the possibility that A Quiet Place might be the worst film I've seen in my entire life. Worse than 21 Grams, which was so committed to being the worst that it hired Sean Penn *and* Charlotte Gainsbourg, arguably the two least gifted actors on planet Earth. I didn't think that it was actually possible to undercut this, but John Krasinki may have done it by maximising the possibilities inherent in the lamest screenplay of all time.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just out of curiosity, was anyone here masochistic enough to put themselves through The Emoji Movie? With Sir Patrick Sir Stewart voicing the turd? I'm sort of tempted to see it just to see how bad it can actually be, but the reviews I've read of it make me wonder if I might be risking permanent psychic damage by doing so.

A user review on IMDB started with "This is by far the worst film I have seen in my hopefully short life."

rubberdingyrapids

I'm seriously considering the possibility that A Quiet Place might be the worst film I've seen in my entire life. Worse than 21 Grams, which was so committed to being the worst that it hired Sean Penn *and* Charlotte Gainsbourg, arguably the two least gifted actors on planet Earth. I didn't think that it was actually possible to undercut this, but John Krasinki may have done it by maximising the possibilities inherent in the lamest screenplay of all time.

its another one of these 'adult'/'mature'/arthousey sort of horror films.
it seemed like the first episode of a new series like american horror story, rather than a stand alone film to me.
pretty weak overall though i did like the idea of it. but you could sense what was coming, and the death of the parent (wont say which one just in case) was like they were just desperate for something to get an effect.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

This is the most hyperbolic review that's ever been written

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The least gifted actors I've seen in my life (in both talent and, arguably, existential fortune) have starred in films where nudity is compulsory.

Admittedly, Kit Harrington is up there

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've not seen a quiet place btw

But it would have to go some way, I suspect, to even be as bad as The Meg, which I saw last week. And can Sean Penn, smug woman beater that he is, be any less gifted a leading man than Jason Statham?