Synth Recommendations

connect_icut

Just got my Gakken SX-150 in the mail and it's tonnes of fun. Can't wait to start feeding it into my Max patches.

One thing's bothering me though. When I try to use it to filter my Casio SK-1, all I get is a vague farting noise. I'm beginning to think the Ext.Source socket might be for CV rather than audio. Anyone know about this?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
scored a kawai k4r recently and cannot believe how stupid i've been writing off 80s digital as being cold and generally shit sounding. thats what i get for reading too many production forums. totally slept on, sounds like dance music when it was still good and the resonant filter is just fucking evil.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
This thread was a great read!

I just bought a K2000 from a bachelor in Helsinki who was using the presets and sequencer to do covers of 60s pop classics. Also dusting off the Nord Rack 2... finally time to get busy with an attempt at music making.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
It's got the orchestral ROM, yeah, and the sampler in/outs. Nice sounds, especially the strings.

As for the synth engine, although it will take months to get to grips with, a bit of fucking around with the presets has led to some rather satisfying results.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's got the orchestral ROM, yeah, and the sampler in/outs. Nice sounds, especially the strings.

As for the synth engine, although it will take months to get to grips with, a bit of fucking around with the presets has led to some rather satisfying results.

Take some samples of it for me please! It's such a great sound that thing.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
For those of you who are Monotron lovers, you're going to want to see this:

http://www.sequencer.de/blog/?p=9924

It seems almost like a Monotron groovebox.

I keep looking at the monotron, and getting tempted.

And then looking at the monotribe, and getting tempted, and then thinking rationally about the monotribe (like why on earth would I pay extra for some crap sounding drums that I can't tweak the sound of and can't even send to external effects because presumably the whole thing isn't multi-out), and then thinking it's got a variable waveforms and an octave selector, and then remembering that it hasn't got any sort of filter envelope...

Either one plus a looper pedal or two plus some effects would be amazing, though.

Is there anything else in this sort of price range that has that much potential for making interesting sounds without the need for any further controllers?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Obv a sampler and not a synth, but in the interests of not starting a whole new thread: has anyone got an EMU sampler? They're now pretty inexpensive on ebay, so was considering getting one mainly for the zplane filters, which sound pretty fantastic. In reality, worth it or not?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not sure if anyone here is interested in soft synths, but I'm currently pretty obsessed with what u-he's Zebra 2 can do. There's just so many possibilities, and this in particular is incredible:
I'm nowhere near that standard, but I'm enjoying slowly getting to grips with it.