'Health and Safety' bollocks.

STN

sou'wester
How did this brush with the constabularly pan out? A clip round the ear? A stern talking to? A shameful return to Eden towers in the back of a Panda car?

I was chased by a builder once, the sourfaced parkie had comandeered some builders to set a trap for us to stop us climbing some wall or other. It was a proper Beano-style adventure. I actually got caught but did the old wriggle-out-of-your-jacket-and-keep-running trick.

john eden

male pale and stale
We got a stern talking to and names and addresses taken. I think we all considered making up false names etc but played it safe in the end. I think I told my parents when I got home in case there was a... knock on the door! ... later in the day.

They were fine about it though, I think they were quite pleased I'd been out getting into mischief rather than staying in my bedroom reading comics and listening to radio 1.

How did you explain the absence of a coat, tho?

STN

sou'wester
Well, the absence of a coat would only have to be explained to Mama STN, who is a famously soft touch in the local area ('I know you didn't mean to lose it, you adorable, foolish boy' etc), whereas the appearance of an irate park keeper brandishing a list of crimes would involve Papa STN, who is an altogether less forgiving prospect.

Honestly, it's an ace trick if you're too young to be buying your own clothes (but too old to have your name sewn in them).

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I would have though Eden would have found this thread professionally frustrating :).

Surely the issue isn't Health and Safety per se so much as the unintended consequences of pernicious litigation?

john eden

male pale and stale
I think H&S legislation is a necessary evil under capitalism, a system which positively rewards short-termism by the ruling class at the expense of the proletariat.

Having said that, the legislation itself, and the implementation of it, can only be reformist and piecemeal. Under capitalism "health" equates to "fit for work".

Talking about "health and safety" today is like talking about rope in the house of a hanged man.

martin

----
Conveniently, despite all these H&S 'advances', you can still expect the fight of your life filing an asbestos compensation claim...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Conveniently, despite all these H&S 'advances', you can still expect the fight of your life filing an asbestos compensation claim...

It almost seems that the more likely something is to be your own fault, the greater the chance of success when trying to sue someone.

The asbestos situation is shocking - I remember hearing that companies responsible had made the so-called 'fatal fibre' argument, claiming that since it was impossible to prove which individual asbestos fibre was responsible for a cancer, they couldn't be help to blame for causing it. Fucking unbelievable. Maybe that loophole's been closed since then, I don't know.

martin

----
Update - I bought a couple of tuna steaks last week, luckily the packaging featured the warning "Product contains fish"