'Health and Safety' bollocks.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In the immortal words of Bang Face, "HEALTH AND SAFETY CAN FUCK OFF".

My college is hosting some sort of open day at the moment, and judging from the temporary signs that have sprung up over the campus, it's for people who are unable to eat a piece of toast without inadvertently disembowling themselves.

There's one saying BEWARE - LOW LIGHT LEVELS OUTSIDE please take care when walking around (Erm, yes, it's called 'the dark'? I believe it's quite a common phenomenon in many parts of the world).
Others, actually outside this time (watch out for those low light levels, now!) declare WARNING UNEVEN SURFACE. Perhaps they should add "DANGER! Ground may present impact hazard if fallen onto" (not a million miles away from the "WARNING - door may present on-swing hazard" which I've seen before, not to mention the new London buses with the very agitated-sounding woman who announces "Stand clear! DOORS OPENING!" as if it's quite likely to rip your arm off). It's only a matter of time before kitchen knives are sold with WARNING DO NOT INSERT INTO EYEBALLS OR GENITALIA on them, or simply banned altogether for our own safety. Fucking litigation lawyers.

What examples of insanely over-cautious and insultingly patronising 'warnings' have you seen lately?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
No idea. It just makes them look like douchebags for assuming their clients/guests are that stupid, IMO.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Yes it does. I have seen a couple of outrageous ones, but I cannot think of what they said at the moment.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Somehow it's comforting to know it's not compulsory to be a native English speaker to suffer from this affliction:

hattubw0.jpg

Speaking of which, 'douchebag' is America's single greatest gift to the English language.

Lichen

I still get a giggle from American wing-mirrors....

"objects may appear smaller than they actually are"

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Stand clear! DOORS OPENING!" as if it's quite likely to rip your arm off
I've been hit by bus doors opening several times, it's quite painful actually. I reckon that there is a chance of getting quite badly mangled. Then again, once I ate some of that white powder preservative stuff you get with dried food because I thought it might be flavouring.

STN

sou'wester
The most irritating thing about this 'stand clear' business is that whenever I hear it I get KRS 1 in my head for the rest of the day going 'stand clear! Gun man a talk' or whatever it is.

Infuriating.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've been hit by bus doors opening several times, it's quite painful actually. I reckon that there is a chance of getting quite badly mangled. Then again, once I ate some of that white powder preservative stuff you get with dried food because I thought it might be flavouring.

Haha, you daft bastard. What are you, Ralph Wiggum or something? ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've heard some of those before, but PLEASE tell me the first two are made up?
Jesus, it's depressing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
With a bit of luck there'll be a backlash soon - not just a popular backlash in the form of people moaning like this, but an actual legal and political backlash that'll see these awful litigation lawyers reined in. It just needs judges with the bollocks to say "No, this is ridiculous, fuck off" (as I'm glad to see happened in the case of that stupid cow who fell through the skylight she was trespassing on).

martin

----
Technically, if I read something here and laugh, and accidentally spill hot tea on my paws, can I hold Woebot accountable?

john eden

male pale and stale
I once saw Heinz Wolff do a talk on "risk" which was very good. His argument was that legislating against risk (which is essentially what H&S is about) created a culture where people (esp. young geezers) are denied any sense of adventure.

He reckoned that the rise is stuff like joy-riding was a direct consequence of kids not being able to run about on building sites any more, or even have slightly inteesting adventure playgrounds...

martin

----
When we were kids we used to go into abandoned industrial properties all the time, having said that there used to be more of them around in North West London. It seems ridiculous now that nobody cared we were running up and down rusting ladders or playing 'chicken', but at least as a result we never felt the need to dance on a skylight when we hit 29....

john eden

male pale and stale
When we were kids we used to go into abandoned industrial properties all the time, having said that there used to be more of them around in North West London. It seems ridiculous now that nobody cared we were running up and down rusting ladders or playing 'chicken', but at least as a result we never felt the need to dance on a skylight when we hit 29....

Exactly. I had my first run in with the cops on a building site aged about 12 (PC McKillan, iirc), never did me any harm!

Although apparently one bloke did die whilst seeing if he could jump between two chimneys.