Desi/Bhangra - Potential Hardcore Continuum Mutation?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
forgive me if ive not heard the good tracks that use them but i generally abhor the use of 'eastern' and indian samples in dubstep. if all the stuff i read about dubstep is true, its meant to represent multicultural london, but to me, just represents not so good muzaky type of harmless cocktail bar fusion you hear in lounge bars (but with heavier bass obviously). it sounds too obviously tacked on as well, like a sarangi sample over a typical dubstep beat rather than actually integrating it into the body of the beat like say, timbaland did with get yo freak on or even some of wileys stuff (weirdly i was in a shisha bar on fri nite and heard some stuff that reminded me of some wiley and danny weed beats). its just not my thing i suppose.
I think it's weak beats that make things muzaky, not failure to 'integrate properly' - for me the sample has to work in the new context but that's different from the producer having to produce a deep and considered fusion of the musical styles and methods. Rampantly out of context samples have always been part of the fun of electronic music, and there's no reason this shoudn't be as true for a dubstep producer lifting a bhangra loop as it was for an ardkore producer sampling a soft rock tune...

cutups

interesting thread! i've definitely been looking for things that fuse the more modern sounding desi / bhangra stuff with hardcore continuum stuff. i think dubstep would be a prime area, but also more uptempo uk garage 4x4. mixing the stuff can work, although it would be cool to see more of a fusion within tunes. the links posted earlier have some interesting stuff! i'd love to hear anything else people can recommend.

i was wondering what happened to talvin singh recently. he seemed ahead of the curve with alot of his music, even if it wasn't all great, some was really good.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i've done quite a few tunes in this general area, aired most of them at FWD>> the other week. definitely an area that excites me a lot.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yeah I understand the cultural appropriation concerns but in dubstep 04/05/06 this was a LONDON thing. From desi etc to reggae and garage and dubstep wasn't a big step. An old friend of mine is a producer on BBC Asian network and knows all the big desi DJs and they're all big into reggae and dub and have a fair knowledge of dubstep. Meanwhile from the dubstep producer's angle, they're surrounded by asian sounds, have asian friends, it's a natural thing to bring in. C.f. asian sounds in dancehall in JA.

Having said that I've heard some poor dubstep tunes with tabla samples from arriviste producers that would put anyone off.

I still think the idea has legs and I - as ever - cannot wait to hear what Blackdown has down with it.

zhao

there are no accidents
did someone post something about a Turkish sampler-based breakbeat noise thing? can't remember if it was this forum or what the artist is called sorry...

but that was a pretty good example of how "fusion" can take place now, and can be both groovy and challenging.

N

nomadologist

did someone post something about a Turkish sampler-based breakbeat noise thing? can't remember if it was this forum or what the artist is called sorry...

but that was a pretty good example of how "fusion" can take place now, and can be both groovy and challenging.

turkish music is pretty amazing. i'd love to make a really psychedelic album that samples turkish and arabic music for cheap. but without dubstep beats.

boomnoise

♫
I'm listening to a lot of Indian/UK/desi stuff right now, particularly Punjabi Hit Squad on 1Xtra, and it strikes me how much it references US r&b (the boring end of it) and rap. There's NO desi/grime overlap the way there was a massive desi/jungle overlap - i've always thought this was odd, since the core 92 jungle demographic is essentially same as the 04 grime demographic.

nothing radical but sukh knight is doing some quite interesting things in grime and dubstep

www.myspace.com/asiangrime

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
i'd love to hear desi grime by someone steeped in terror danjah's oeuvre. that riddimc sensibility together with tabla, dhol...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

DJ Rupture does some pretty good world-noise, or whatever it's called, dunno fi that's who you mean though.

ripley

he's not Turkish, but try Malorix - http://malorix.nl

"belsalama" is my favorite.

and the crazy Turkish sampling sound I know of is Serhat Koksai & co, otherwise known as 2/5 BZ and a lot of other pseudonyms: http://www.myspace.com/2serhat5bz

zhao

there are no accidents

yes that's it! impossible name to remember...

i can NOT listen to Rupture's mixes as much as i want to be able to enjoy them. too busy, too much, doesn't let up. no space what so ever. fucking headache and a half.

i've got some wicked east-west mash-ups lined up in Live... just have to find the time to organize it all into a mix.

zhao

there are no accidents
on the fusion tip:

welcomecheckpoint303sw0.jpg

Checkpoint 303 is a non-profit musical collective from the emerging Arabic and Middle-eastern underground electronica scene. The activist musical project was launched by Tunisian SC Mocha and Palestinian SC Yosh in 2004 and has secured an avant-garde position on the arabic underground music scene (see also tunisian underground music and palestinian underground music). The non-commercial aspect of this musical project is a fundamental dimension of the band's work since it allows for creative freedom and the liberty to express activist opinions. Checkpoint 303's compositions are inspired by the ongoing conflict in the Middle-east and the suffering it causes to the civilian populations throughout the region.

http://checkpoint303.free.fr/audio_303.html

i've only checked a couple of the tracks so far...

faustus

let's get this going again...

except this time, less theoretical musings about cultural appropriation and whatever, and more about the music :)

been listening to quite a lot of punjabi hit squad recently - anyone got any sets/ mixes/ radio shows/ general recommendations??

[also checkpoint 303 are great]

Blackdown

nexKeysound
<:shameless plug:> having listened to tons of punjabi hit squad, our album has bhangra breaks, bollywood samples, tumbi, a punjabi singer, some urdu... </:shameless plug:>

faustus

<:shameless plug:> having listened to tons of punjabi hit squad, our album has bhangra breaks, bollywood samples, tumbi, a punjabi singer, some urdu... </:shameless plug:>

yeah but that's not out NOW

can't seem to find anywhere that hosts the desi beats show archive (at least not for free...)

i'll keep trying :)

zhao

there are no accidents
for me asian pirate posse, a lot of pop and mainstream stuff, but some good booty also:

pumpupthebhangra.com

Client Eastwood

the whole asian underground thing seemed to go nowhere and never really found its own identity. yeah, it took the same breaks from drum and bass, put a few sa-ray-ga-mas, tabla and sitars and continued in the same vein for year upon year. it just didn't pust it hard and far enough. I had and still has so much potential.

having said that the typical asian thing is more the r'n'b/bhangra fusion. so perhaps this will come with the next thing.

i picked up some bhangra mix cds from india while not entirely my cup of tea, there is no denying it is pure party music and *will* make you do the change the light bulb dance.
:)

looking forward to Dusk and Blackdown, sounds very interesting