Desi/Bhangra - Potential Hardcore Continuum Mutation?

zhao

there are no accidents
haha i guess NGOMA went a different path than i thought 1 year ago... but that one will certainly see the light of day sometime soon.

Bhangra. John Eden said recently that there is something seriously wrong with dancehall in 2009 (sorry if i'm not remembering correctly), and i have to add that Bhangra is looking pretty dismal as well.

all these dirty-south/mainstream hiphop beats and production, all the cheesy cliche club bling... all the attempt to sound aggressive and angry -- in my opinion undermining one of the main strengths of Punjabi dance music: the sensuality. and i have yet to hear ONE convincing Desi/Garage project (that bassline bhangra is simply kaka).

more and more resolved to dig deeper in the older piles... some 90s, lots of 80s. and if i have to make mash-up/re-edits of shit sound quality bollywood records to get the sound i want then so be it. :mad:

speaking of which... 50s 60s and 70s bollywood records just don't stop giving. shit is pure unadulterated gangsta! :)

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

haha i guess NGOMA went a different path than i thought 1 year ago... but that one will certainly see the light of day sometime soon.

<snip>

speaking of which... 50s 60s and 70s bollywood records just don't stop giving. shit is pure unadulterated gangsta! :)

true. moog, sitars, dhols, electric funk, killer vocals but usually light on the bass.

- - -

Saw this the other day, not had a chance to read it but it seems to about UK asian music.

http://www.darkmatter101.org/site/2...ms-the-politics-of-the-new-asian-dance-music/