Future War

vimothy

yurp
I didn't mean 'pathetic', like that, I meant it as in 'deserving of sympathy because hopelessly out-gunned'.
Obviously in terms of bravery it's the exact opposite of pathetic. As I'm sure you're away the majority of my sympathy in this sorry situation lies with the Palestinians.

No, I'm aware of your sympathies. I was just pointing that out. But of course I think that they did have meetings to discuss strategy - wouldn't you? There was a degree of leadership in the first Intifada which attempted to guide the rebellion and keep it going, as in, for instance the decision to abondon the use of molotov cocktails. These aren't stupid people, and if I were fighting for a homeland, I'd want to make it as well fought a campaign as possible. Perhaps it's not strictly necessary for the purpose of successful 4GW that you know what you are doing or why you are doing it, but equally I find the idea that people could be successful at it, without having reflected on it and their goals on the strategic and other levels, pretty implausible.

vimothy

yurp
4GW: http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,,2081438,00.html

"At present, Nato does not define cyber-attacks as a clear military action. This means that the provisions of Article V of the North Atlantic Treaty, or, in other words collective self-defence, will not automatically be extended to the attacked country," said the Estonian defence minister, Jaak Aaviksoo.

"Not a single Nato defence minister would define a cyber-attack as a clear military action at present. However, this matter needs to be resolved in the near future."

Estonia, a country of 1.4 million people, including a large ethnic Russian minority, is one of the most wired societies in Europe and a pioneer in the development of "e-government". Being highly dependent on computers, it is also highly vulnerable to cyber-attack.

The main targets have been the websites of:

· the Estonian presidency and its parliament

· almost all of the country's government ministries

· political parties

· three of the country's six big news organisations

· two of the biggest banks; and firms specializing in communications

It is not clear how great the damage has been.

With their reputation for electronic prowess, the Estonians have been quick to marshal their defences, mainly by closing down the sites under attack to foreign internet addresses, in order to try to keep them accessible to domestic users.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I briefly read about this in the paper yesterday. I don't really understand what's happened, but the idea that Russia thinks it can do this sort of thing and get away with it - I mean, who's going to stop them? - is very worrying indeed.

vimothy

yurp
I read about it while I was trying to write some stuff about 4GW, turned over my mate's Guardian and there is was, "Russia accused of unleashing cyberwar"!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That phrase makes me think of Putin trying to invade Estonia with a glorified remote-controlled car with a spring-loaded axe on top, under the gaze of a crack-addled Craig Charles...

adruu

This Is It
estonia's principal tech company is skype. coincidence?

chinese servers attacked all of the dns roots a few months ago if i remember right.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well, good.
It's about time people started to realise GWB isn't the only world leader with a penchant for throwing his weight around...

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Has there been a development since drones or is that where we're at for now?
There are also state-run crypto hacks and scams, mostly associated with North Korea but I'm sure others are doing it too, A) because crypto in particular is still a bit of a wild west, and B) because international crime in general often seems difficult to adjudicate. Anyway, thats a recent development, I'd say all within the last decade.

Has there been a development since drones or is that where we're at for now?

No, there are some awesome lasers in development. Like jumping from a musket to a C-RAM system (big automatically targeting Gatling gun)

Plus all sorts of high frontier space weaponry stuff, though the chinese tested the rod from God concept recently, and it didn't work.

version

No, there are some awesome lasers in development. Like jumping from a musket to a C-RAM system (big automatically targeting Gatling gun)

Plus all sorts of high frontier space weaponry stuff, though the chinese tested the rod from God concept recently, and it didn't work.

Virilio was talking up laser weapons twenty years ago, but I feel I haven't heard much about them.

I expect highly personalized, algorithmically driven, AI generated propaganda will be a thing too. The equivalent of a bullet in the post, but on population level scale. "Here's how your street will look after we attack, petition your government to make peace, or you and your family will die like this" gore spam

version

I expect highly personalized, algorithmically driven, AI generated propaganda will be a thing too. The equivalent of a bullet in the post, but on population level scale. "Here's how your street will look after we attack, petition your government to make peace, or you and your family will die like this" gore spam

Did you ever see that site built to promote the Independence Day sequel? You put in your postcode and it showed your house being blown up by aliens.