Great 4x4 Garage

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
X amount of bumpin' 4x4 garage goodness in this thread, fantastic, thank you!

Obviously Masters at Work were crucial to first wave garage - I love 'em, another important link from dubstep back to house. Speaking of which, anyone else heard Basement Jaxx's take on dubstep? Quite good, but not terribly authentic, though I'm sure ex-junglist Simon can do it.

nomos

Administrator
loving this. do you know what event this was at? it's not a radio set is it?

edit: meh, it's over now. should have hit record earlier

Last edited:
Nice mix to download

This isnt UK Garage but it's got some lovely American House tunes from (probably) the mid 90's.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/43rvxy

It's mixed by Theo Parrish's buddy Omar S. It was released a few weeks ago on CDR, probably only pressed up in a 100 copies or something in his house, he likes to have pitifully small print runs. As mixes go it is pretty eccentric. A fair amount of car crashes, and a set which has obviously been sourced from a chewed up old tape. But it's got some brilliant tracks on it. Given that Omar S is meant to be fairly young, I cant help but get the feeling that he was around 10 years old when he mixed this.

I might put up some sort of tracklisting later, but i probably wont have much luck with the guesswork

sufi

lala
4x4_ga13.jpg

sorry:eek:

Ach!

Turd on the Run
This isnt UK Garage but it's got some lovely American House tunes from (probably) the mid 90's.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/43rvxy

It's mixed by Theo Parrish's buddy Omar S. It was released a few weeks ago on CDR, probably only pressed up in a 100 copies or something in his house, he likes to have pitifully small print runs. As mixes go it is pretty eccentric. A fair amount of car crashes, and a set which has obviously been sourced from a chewed up old tape. But it's got some brilliant tracks on it. Given that Omar S is meant to be fairly young, I cant help but get the feeling that he was around 10 years old when he mixed this.

I might put up some sort of tracklisting later, but i probably wont have much luck with the guesswork

Sounds wicked at +8 ;)

elgato

I just dont know
for anyone who is interested, heres a link to some excellent mixes...

http://forum.djmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=10199

the bottom one in particular has been getting rinsed regularly for several months, some deep tracks derr, very highly recommended

01. Antonio - Take Me - 1998/Fifty First
02. Jay Collins Super 20 - Turn Your Back On Love (Sunshine Bros. Remix) - 1998/i! Recs
03. Aly-us - Follow Me - 1992/Cooltempo
04. Chris Mack - Set It Off - 1997/Old Soul
05. Mica Paris - Stay (Booker T Vocal) - 1998/Cooltempo
06. Once Waz Nice - Messin Around (Wideboys 4x4) - 1999/Dubz For Klubz
07. US Alliance - All I Know - 1998/Locked On
08. Joey Musaphia - It Goes Boom Boom Boom - 1996/Cover Ups Vol 1
09. Matlok - Anyway - 1998/Pure Bliss
10. Sly & Ziggy - Conscious Rhythms (House Mix) - 1997/Ultra Vinyl
11. Ambassadors Of Swing - Coming Up (Grant Nelson Dirtbox Dub) - 1995/Nice N Ripe
12. Sandy B - Make The World Go Round (Ramsey & Fen Remix) - 1998/Champion
13. St. Germain - Alabama Blues (Todd Edwards Mix) - 1995/F-Comms
14. Sounds Of Blackness - Pressure (Booker T Pressure Lick) - 1997/AM:pM
15. Greg Stainer - My Mind -1997/V.I.P.
16. RIP Productions - Take A Chance - 1996/Ice Cream Recs
17. The Occasions feat. Tyrone Henry - Look No More (Booker T Vocal Mix) - 1997/FeetMove
18. Astro Trax - The Energy (Feel The Vibe) (Danny J Lewis' Vibe) - 1998/Satellite
19. Ann Nesby - Hold On (Mousse T Uplifting Garage Mix) - 1997/AM:pM
20. Frankie Knuckles feat. Adeva - Walkin' (Grant Nelson Divine Gospel Remix) - 1995/Virgin
21. Wideboys - What's On Your Mind (4x4 Mix) - 1999/Union Jack Recs
22. Gerideau - Masquerade (MJ Cole Mix) - 1998/Inferno
23. Ultymate feat. Jacquee Bennett - Sweet Love (Vocal Mix) - 1998/Unda-Vybe
24. Brand New Heavies - You Are The Universe (Tuff Jam 2 In 1 Remix) - 1997/FFRR

anyone else?

also, I would be very much obliged if someone could re-up that Omar S mix for me, it would be greatly appreciated, I missed out...

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Just picked up a stack of 4x4 and 2step (and breakstep).

Have spent the last few nights shuffling through them. There's a fat load of Sirus / Narrows / Harry Lime stuff I'd never really got into before, plus a dozen or so proper 4x4 garage and some nutso, absolutely RINSING 2step.

Be a while before they make it into a mix...

viktorvaughn

Slimzee's Bingo Beats II is a crowning achievment of the hard breaky garage sound and Oddz' 'Bump Dis' a masterpiece. Alias is great for that booming, dark and ominous 4/4 sound, if a little formulaic (though it's a highly enjoyable formula!). Sirus - Grouch is a top tune in that tradition as well.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
does anyone know any really good spots for 2nd hand garage in London? i know a sick one in Notting Hill but they don't have preview decks. this seems to be a recurring theme down here, much to my frustration

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
The proper old skool 4x4 is still better than the Narrows / Sirus stuff IMO, but I do like it, and it works a treat if you mix it up with REALLY girly sweet garage.

Paul what's this Desi Niche stuff you mentioned in the other thread?
I've never been able to buy any. I'm told it's only available on CD, and I don't know what shops have it. Must ask Martin.

Think pounding big-bassline speed garage with massively fast punjabi MCing in it. I haven't heard any in Sheffield any more but that may be cos I've moved away from Nether Edge (where there's a lot more Asians). But it might have died out.

And did you catch the Dem2 mix in the 2step thread?

!!!! NOOOO!!!! I MUST HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

nomos

Administrator
The proper old skool 4x4 is still better than the Narrows / Sirus stuff IMO, but I do like it, and it works a treat if you mix it up with REALLY girly sweet garage.
yes! it's the contrast that makes it. had fun playing out a while back with blends like harry lime's 'voodoo magic' into sweet choppy dj faz vocals.

please do check on the bassline thing. i looked online but didn't find anything.

nomos

Administrator
ah lovely. thank you. i may have to order something.

seems there's a bit more on the site if you search 'garage.'

Last edited: