Great 4x4 Garage

dominic

Beast of Burden
this is not really up my alley, but i am interested in the entire mid-90s us garage-into-uk garage question . . . .

here's a back-to-1995 mix that seems to capture this moment -- sadly i don't know how to post mixes, so here's the link = http://its-a-london-thing.blogspot.com/ -- the second entry from top -- very easy to download for no fee or registration nonsense whatsoever =

dj MARVIN SWIFTFINGER G

1) Wizzard of wax – Gonna set You free – Cutting Records
2) Ambassadors of swing – Coming Up -Grant Nelsons Dirty “Box” Dub.. – Nice & Ripe
3) Uknown White – Im Coming
4) Thelma Houston – all Of That (G-Nelsons Nasty Dub – Azuli
5) Umosia – Feeling High (Pierre Dub) – Redcat Records
6) D-Bora – Going Round (MK Dub) – Vibe
7) Kings of Tomorrow (Sandy Rivera) – King Size Ep – Distant Music
8) Unkown – Don’t you wanna dance – white
9) R.I.P GROOVES Vol 1 – The Rub - Ice Cream
10) Brutal Breaks Vol 3 – Nasty Rhthm (sax smack mix)
11) Sabrynaah Pope – Hold On (Disciple Dub) – King Street
12) Donald O – I got love in my heart (Urban Hero Dub) - Smackmusic
13) Doug Willis – tonight’s the night - Z records
14) Kelli Rich – Hide away – Focus
15) Unkown – Dance – White
16) Freedom – Closer (Klubb Kidz Flava Dub – Power
17) Ed Chunk Rodriguez – Chunks Theme – Dansa
18) Ambassadors of swing – Half Way Dub – Nic & Ripe
19) Free Style Orchestra - SSO Groove (Banna Republic Skunk Dub)
20) Sinnamon – i need you now (Masters At Work)
21) Todd Edwards Part 2 – Ain’t Got No Party 93’ – East Records
22) Baffled Republic – Back to Funk EP – Z recordings

also, i wouldn't mind seeing this thread resurrected in connection with this question --

to my ears the above mix sounds a helluva lot more like 2-step garage than jungle ever did, i.e., jungle techniques may have added more friskiness and sub-bass, and post-timberland r'n'b a bit more flex and snap, but seriously this is where it has to come from . . . .

also, is there anyway that the mixes on first page of this thread could be re-posted???

dominic

Beast of Burden
in case you're wondering about origins + trajectories =

wizzard of wax = armand van helden
ambassadors of swing = grant nelson = wishdokta (91/92 hardcore) and bump'n'flex (2step)
umosia = roy davis + marshall jefferson (chicago of course)
kings of tomorrow -- are from brooklyn
d'bora -- from the bronx (terry hunter is chicago, and mk is detroit of course)
r.i.p. grooves -- started as an offshoot of north london jungle label boogie beats
brutal breaks = brutal bill -- stormtrooper late 80s chicago acid to commercial late 90s hard house
sabrynaah pope = diva on nyc king street, and disciple was wild pitch crew (of course)
donald o and smackmusic = new jersey garage
doug willis = dave lee aka joey negro -- uk trad garage stalwart
kelli rich and focus records = 2nd generation chicago house
freedom = dj duke and klubb kidz are nyc garage producers
ed chunk rodriguez and dansa records -- closely connected w/ mark archer of altern8 fame
free style orchestra = actually from 1997 -- is dj face of psychotropic fame
sinnamon -- this is a maw remix of an early 80s ny garage classic
todd edwards is todd edwards
baffled republic -- dj face again + his partners

dominic

Beast of Burden
more origins + trajectories -- correct me if i'm wrong! -- i'm not even that knowledgeable about uk garage -- merely trying to figure out where these people were coming from, with more than a little help from discogs =

--tuff jam -- matt lamont had garage background, and so did karl brown
--dreem team -- mikee b was part of the famed top buzz camp (hardcore/jungle), timmi magic also an ex-junglist
--187 lockdown -- julian jonah had extensive uk house/garage resume back to 89
--dem 2 -- seemingly had no pre-garage productions?
--m-dubs -- ras kwame had uk house/hip hop background
--mousse t -- german house producer
--wideboys -- jim sullivan did some happy hardcore? -- o/w strictly garage producers?
--anthill mob -- connected to chris mac aka potential bad boy = major hardcore/jungle producer
--booker t -- house/garage background
--bizzi -- same people as on jungle label formation
--urban blues project -- house/garage background
--artful dodger -- no resume before 2-step? -- though 90/91 rave label d-zone had an act called artful dodger?
--lenny fontana -- new york house background
--the public demand label -- connected to jungle's labello blanco
--steve gurley -- famed 2-step remixer -- had hardcore/jungle background
--matt antonio noble -- seemingly no pre-garage background
--new horizons -- earl buchanan may have done some early 90s house productions?
--zed bias -- no resume before 2-step?
--will dobson -- no resume before 2-step?
--groove chronicles -- no resume before 2-step?
--mr reds & kalibre -- no resume before 2-step?

of course "resumes" of previous work are not dispositive of the kinds of influences that people may have brought to their uk garage production work, esp. in the case of younger producers . . . .

Karl Tuff Enuff Brown was in Double Trouble, who did a chart single/s with Rebel MC, think it was called Too Tuff.

Anthill Mob did release some jungle

Ory

warp drive
or even cheaper at RedEye ;)

KMA : CAPE FEAR / FANTASY DUB : GROOVE CHRONICLES, NGC003 £5.00 (5.75 inc vat)

nomos

Administrator
i got a good deal on cape fear once, but i was never going to pay £50 for phantasy trip. hats off to noodles :cool:

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
What a timely bump.

Was harassing BUFO just yesterday to tell me some good 4x4 garage to hunt down on Discogs.

If anyone wants to re-up that Ministry CD rip or some of those mixes Elgato put up on the first page... :rolleyes:

nomos

Administrator
god i'm dumb this week :rolleyes: phatasy trip is the original b-side of cape fear - i.e. i already have it. in my excitement at the idea of a kma re-release i konfused it with kaotic madness.

Dr Venom

Wild Horses
There is still a fairly healthy scene in Birmingham that gets called bassline house or organ house. Not bassline house like Sheffield/Niche/T2 etc but the organ stuff bares all the hallmarks of old speed garage records (The 4x4 house with shuffle beats, organ/dread basslines) You might find some of the organ house mixes on flipsides of the niche stuff sometimes.

I personally find it pretty uninspiring as Armen Van Helden and the like were doing it better and over a decade ago, but I can dig up some names if needed.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Sheez! I really like this!

I'm completely unaware of a scene where this music is still played. This track is very El-Tuff/Todd/Karl Brown/Qualifide-like. I remember a year or so ago there was a night at Herbal that MJ Cole and Qualifide were involved with. Anyone know what's going on with this stuff?

This net station seems to be concerned with older style ukg: http://www.hyperadio.co.uk/

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
yeh man there are still a few guys pushing this sound, dj elski still pushing it on (internet) radio, and Duncan Powell is active... http://thepushep.blogspot.com/ Wishing is big!

Marvin Swiftfingers on Hyperadio represents this lot a fair bit too from the shows i've caught. also of course Karl Brown is still producing astonishingly good 4x4 tunes and otherwise, there are some unreleased tracks of his on his guest shows with Marvin Swiftfingers that are completely next level. its like taking the process of the skewed bumpy 4x4 madness to the point where the whole groove breaks, and it goes to a whole different place. he is bringing through this guy Alessandro too who has made some big tunes on that soulful cut-up vibe

don't think its a club-orientated scene though, seems to exist mainly on the internet, although saying that it looks like Marvin Swiftfingers gets some pretty large bookings up north

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I've always really liked that sound, perhaps beginning with this record:
Are there any rips of those Karl Brown bits, your description has got me excited!

elgato

I just dont know
haha i hope i didn't over-egg it with the description!

i don't have them cut up separately but several appear through this mix, which is well worth checking all the way through in any case!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5oz9ok

about 30mins (i think) in Karl goes into the mix solo and it gets pretty crazy

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the bottom one in particular has been getting rinsed regularly for several months, some deep tracks derr, very highly recommended

01. Antonio - Take Me - 1998/Fifty First
02. Jay Collins Super 20 - Turn Your Back On Love (Sunshine Bros. Remix) - 1998/i! Recs
03. Aly-us - Follow Me - 1992/Cooltempo
04. Chris Mack - Set It Off - 1997/Old Soul
05. Mica Paris - Stay (Booker T Vocal) - 1998/Cooltempo
06. Once Waz Nice - Messin Around (Wideboys 4x4) - 1999/Dubz For Klubz
07. US Alliance - All I Know - 1998/Locked On
08. Joey Musaphia - It Goes Boom Boom Boom - 1996/Cover Ups Vol 1
09. Matlok - Anyway - 1998/Pure Bliss
10. Sly & Ziggy - Conscious Rhythms (House Mix) - 1997/Ultra Vinyl
11. Ambassadors Of Swing - Coming Up (Grant Nelson Dirtbox Dub) - 1995/Nice N Ripe
12. Sandy B - Make The World Go Round (Ramsey & Fen Remix) - 1998/Champion
13. St. Germain - Alabama Blues (Todd Edwards Mix) - 1995/F-Comms
14. Sounds Of Blackness - Pressure (Booker T Pressure Lick) - 1997/AM:pM
15. Greg Stainer - My Mind -1997/V.I.P.
16. RIP Productions - Take A Chance - 1996/Ice Cream Recs
17. The Occasions feat. Tyrone Henry - Look No More (Booker T Vocal Mix) - 1997/FeetMove
18. Astro Trax - The Energy (Feel The Vibe) (Danny J Lewis' Vibe) - 1998/Satellite
19. Ann Nesby - Hold On (Mousse T Uplifting Garage Mix) - 1997/AM:pM
20. Frankie Knuckles feat. Adeva - Walkin' (Grant Nelson Divine Gospel Remix) - 1995/Virgin
21. Wideboys - What's On Your Mind (4x4 Mix) - 1999/Union Jack Recs
22. Gerideau - Masquerade (MJ Cole Mix) - 1998/Inferno
23. Ultymate feat. Jacquee Bennett - Sweet Love (Vocal Mix) - 1998/Unda-Vybe
24. Brand New Heavies - You Are The Universe (Tuff Jam 2 In 1 Remix) - 1997/FFRR

This mix is fucking excellent, cheers for this.