comics

D

droid

Yeah - Dark Horse versions with the Magnolia covers are all good.

This strange Italian zombie film is loosely based on one volume:

cover.jpg

matt b

Indexing all opinion
This was great. The Gyoza chapters in particular. Interesting about the boiling/steaming vs. frying/deep frying technigues.

My favourite Goyza recipe is from a Japanese trained Chinese chef who steams them first and then fries them in a pan for a minute... you avoid that hard deep fried texture and the slimy boiled texture.

droid 1 oishinbo nil :p

v.true, mind

saw tatsumi's 'a drifting life' in leeds yesterday- looks wicked, but the copy was battered. will pick up asap- 800+ pages!

zhao

there are no accidents
My favourite Goyza recipe is from a Japanese trained Chinese chef who steams them first and then fries them in a pan for a minute... you avoid that hard deep fried texture and the slimy boiled texture.

this is the way all chinese people do and have done it since forever:

boil/steam first, and then fry for just long enough so they turn golden brown.

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
anyone into bill griffith's zippy?

i find i keep returning to that era of underground comics---that line that starts at ZAP! and continues on to RAW
60s to late 80s

spain
art spiegelman (breakdowns!)
charles burns
crumb
kaz

even bode
and like, heavy metal

just read grant morrison's batman (RIP and Black Glove)
meh
i keep trying but i don't think he does mainstream comics well
miss his run on doom patrol <3

zhao

there are no accidents
reading From Hell and someone kindly tell me what the FUCK is going on on this page????????? television was not invented back in 1888 as far as i know? Marilyn Monroe was not famous back then either??? Moore's idea of an absurd non-sequitor peak into the future of London??? Moore's idea of a joke??? the kids doing the scans' idea of a joke??? (but the drawing style is spot on and i would think the line quality would be difficult to forge)

Picture6.png

anyone into bill griffith's zippy?

i find i keep returning to that era of underground comics---that line that starts at ZAP! and continues on to RAW
60s to late 80s

great stuff. do you know this:

just read this for the first time. don't miss out, kids! :) (i mean, just this cover alone!)

Picture8.png

Last edited:
reading From Hell and someone kindly tell me what the FUCK is going on on this page????????? television was not invented back in 1888 as far as i know? Marilyn Monroe was not famous back then either??? Moore's idea of an absurd non-sequitor peak into the future of London??? Moore's idea of a joke??? the kids doing the scans' idea of a joke??? (but the drawing style is spot on and i would think the line quality would be difficult to forge)

Is this the first time you read From Hell? Would be some kind of spoiler to explain, but it's definitely intentional and not a joke.

zhao

there are no accidents
Is this the first time you read From Hell? Would be some kind of spoiler to explain, but it's definitely intentional and not a joke.

a rare insomnia last night allowed further chapters into the book, which i am indeed reading for the first time, and the purpose of those passages are now clear to me. and it is amazing: during the 5th murder, his eloquent monologue directed at the 20th century. "you think me a monster but i am afraid of you!" so good...

mms

sometimes
deleted, the same arguement is going on elsewhere, keep it to that thread or not at all.
it wasn't worth merging it all to be honest would have took ages as far as i could see.

zhao

there are no accidents
deleted, the same arguement is going on elsewhere, keep it to that thread or not at all.
it wasn't worth merging it all to be honest would have took ages as far as i could see.

you should have alerted us before deleting.

for one thing Sickboy wrote a very long post on his perspective of the lineage of the Greeks, now lost.

that and several other things i could have simply quoted and pasted into the other thread.

just because you don't think the conversation important doesn't mean other people also don't.

no big deal i suppose in the scheme of things...

but next time, please.

mms

sometimes
you should have alerted us before deleting.

for one thing Sickboy wrote a very long post on his perspective of the lineage of the Greeks, now lost.

that and several other things i could have simply quoted and pasted into the other thread.

just because you don't think the conversation important doesn't mean other people also don't.

no big deal i suppose in the scheme of things...

but next time, please.

the same argument is basically in two other places, as i explained and as you know.

I deleted it as i don't have the time to move it, it's painstaking and i'm busy.

You're responsible for this board too, by not hijacking threads with completley separate topics etc, repeating topics across three simultaneous threads etc, remember that too.

mms

sometimes
Then why not leave it alone?

I think this board has a million threads with digressions in them, what's the use of getting neurotic about it at this late date?

'You're responsible for this board too, by not hijacking threads with completley separate topics etc, repeating topics across three simultaneous threads etc, remember that too.'

see above.

not neurotic i'd just seen two very interesting threads simultaneously hijacked with zhao's ideas on race, which had very little to do with comic and manga, the two subjects in hand.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
'You're responsible for this board too, by not hijacking threads with completley separate topics etc, repeating topics across three simultaneous threads etc, remember that too.'

see above.

In that case, you might as well delete the entire board. That's all it is. A series of highly repetitive threads that all eventually relate to one another.

mms

sometimes
In that case, you might as well delete the entire board. That's all it is. A series of highly repetitive threads that all eventually relate to one another.

no that would be silly.

'not neurotic i'd just seen two very interesting threads simultaneously hijacked with zhao's ideas on race, which had very little to do with comic and manga, the two subjects in hand.'

the argument was the same and running simultaneously, i've left the thread where the arguement was more relevant.

there is also the deeper roots thread dedicated to zhao's thoughts on this subject too, so that's two threads.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
again, no big deal.

but you could have just said "you have 24 hours to move shit before i delete"

that's all...