comics

Benny Bunter

Just picked up Will Eisner's 'Invisible people' from the library. Not read any of his stuff before and I've only read the first couple of stories so far but I can tell I'm gonna love him.

So, anyone else here into Will Eisner? (apologies if he's already been discussed, I haven't checked)

luka

deleting is a bizzare thing to do. who gives a shit about comics. i'd much rather have history lessons from sicboy.

zhao

there are no accidents
Just picked up Will Eisner's 'Invisible people' from the library. Not read any of his stuff before and I've only read the first couple of stories so far but I can tell I'm gonna love him.

So, anyone else here into Will Eisner? (apologies if he's already been discussed, I haven't checked)

never wondered into my radar range before... art looks pretty classic, i was expecting one of these hipster styles.

"This book was written in anger. In 1991, I came upon an item in my local newspaper about the suicide of a poor woman, Carolyn Lamboly. Disabled, impoverished and alone, she had for over a year applied again and again for help from the community support system. But her case became lost in the county computer system and she had become an invisible person.

"A few days before Christmas 1990 sick, alone and in despair, she hung herself.

"Her body lay unclaimed in a funeral home for two months. She was finally buried in an unmarked grave in a public cemetery.

"These are stories that grew out of my dismay."

zhao

there are no accidents
deleting is a bizzare thing to do. who gives a shit about comics. i'd much rather have history lessons from sicboy.

i think the tad rash decision was at least partially due to mms being personal fed up with some of the issues that i bring up, in too many places, he feels.

but if they were so dull or irrelevant no one else would have bothered to engage with me. and instead others were coming to join in the debate between me an Droid.

D

droid

luka said:
i want to read more comics. i can't be bothered reading books any more. i need pictures. reccomend me some good comics or graphic novels to collect. whats good?

;)

i think the tad rash decision was at least partially due to mms being personal fed up with some of the issues that i bring up, in too many places, he feels.

but if they were so dull or irrelevant no one else would have bothered to engage with me. and instead others were coming to join in the debate between me an Droid.

It was perfectly justified IMO. And to be honest I thought it was a bit strange to bring up the topic here anyway. You dont see me ranting on about Israel or dancehall on the clothes thread... ;)

Anyway. Drama over. Johnny come lately shit stirrers please fuck off. :D

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

Will Eisner is really great. I bought the "Best Of" collection of The Spirit as a christmas gift for my girlfriend; she is not particularly a fan of comics in general, but a graphic designer. His stories are enjoyable enough, short and simple parables, but his real depth is in the way he laid out the pages. He really blew open the doors in that regard, and his typography is amazing.

Benny Bunter

Will Eisner is really great. I bought the "Best Of" collection of The Spirit as a christmas gift for my girlfriend; she is not particularly a fan of comics in general, but a graphic designer. His stories are enjoyable enough, short and simple parables, but his real depth is in the way he laid out the pages. He really blew open the doors in that regard, and his typography is amazing.

Yeah, what I really like about the book im reading is the empathy for the tragic characters he shows. I've got a soft spot for short, simple parables I think! If there's a best of collection then I'll probably go for that next, cheers.

petergunn

plywood violin

yeah... it's amazing to me that he was still so good when he was older as well, not a lot of comics artists still produce at such a high level...

these two are great:

http://www.willeisner.com/books/ny_big_city.html

http://www.willeisner.com/books/city_people_notebook.html

D

droid

Eisner is unimpeachable. On a similar tip, I used to be big into Alex Toth.

Alex_Toth.jpg

tothwonder.gif

sandman.jpg

batman1994.jpg

comicreader1054on.jpg

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Just started League of Extraordinary Gentleman and so far it is brilliant. The art is fantastic and I love Alan Moore's idea of presupposing the fiction of the era as historical fact. This is very near to how I perceive the world in general, so it resonates.

Benny Bunter

Just started League of Extraordinary Gentleman and so far it is brilliant. The art is fantastic and I love Alan Moore's idea of presupposing the fiction of the era as historical fact. This is very near to how I perceive the world in general, so it resonates.

Mate, wait until you get to volume 2, its incredible. One of my favourite comics ever, theres loads of WTF? moments. I want to talk about them but I wouldn't spoil it for you.

Just read the new LOEG book, '1910' and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed after the high standards set by the first two collections. The new characters just weren't as interesting as Jekyll/Hyde, Cpt Nemo etc.

polystyle

Creepy Magazine ...

Cheers on Alex Toth Droid !

Anyone know or remember Creepy mag ? and it's sister / brother pub. Eerie ?
Think one had to be around for ages to pick up on them when they came out,
they were not available everywhere, and Warren Pub. made it a larger format partly to avoid comic restrictions from that time ( late '60's into '70's ).
Living in DC, we couldn't buy them there , only when visiting relatives in urban NJ could we find it.
A slightly forbidden fruit !.
But Creepy had the best artists -Frazetta, Steranko, Wrightson, Ditko, think Toth was there too.
Recently revived -and going forward,
got my hands on this recompiled edition from New Comics Co.
Another pub. got Vampirella.

Creepy Universe ...http://www.creepyuniverse.com/

petergunn

plywood violin
anyone into bill griffith's zippy?

i find i keep returning to that era of underground comics---that line that starts at ZAP! and continues on to RAW
60s to late 80s

spain
art spiegelman (breakdowns!)
charles burns
crumb
kaz

even bode
and like, heavy metal

just read grant morrison's batman (RIP and Black Glove)
meh
i keep trying but i don't think he does mainstream comics well
miss his run on doom patrol <3

what would you recommend by Vaughn Bode? i really want to get stuff by him outside of little bits and pieces i have in old National Lampoons and things like that...

his style is so beautiful, the OG graf artist:

bode.jpg

D

droid

OK... whilst I would always urge people to buy the manga, especially one as good as this, here is an online version of Yotsuba, maybe my favourite comic of all time:

http://koiwai.biz/

28_11.jpg