comics

CrowleyHead

Just a few I love

Capt. America & The Falcon (Wins numerous points for all the AMAZINGLY non-PC attempts by one Steve Rogers 'to be down' Ex: "... Don't sell me that jive, Falcon."

Essentially anything with Scourge Of The Underworld in it.

Shadowhawk

100 Bullets

Runaways

X-Men 2099

zhao

there are no accidents
anyone like Joe Sacco? i just finished the Fixer about the Bosnian war:

from guardian:

When the war reporter Joe Sacco returned to Bosnia in 2001, he was looking for the only person who still seemed willing to talk frankly about the madness into which the country had descended a few years before. That person was a hard-drinking army veteran called Neven, nicknamed "The Fixer" for his ability to arrange anything - access to off-limits places, gang-bangs, a niche in a trench at the frontline - for the right price. When they met up again, Sacco and his frustratingly unreliable informant completed their harrowing journey through the Balkan nightmare. Why has this piece of journalism taken so long to reach us? Well, Sacco had to create each of the 105 pages with pencil and ink.

enjoyed it very much as it was so real, so human, so funny and so terrifying... you feel like you are right there... good journalism and good entertainment at the same time. i'll be looking for his other books like "Palestine"...

sacco_joe_the_fixer_2003.jpg

Sacco.jpg

fixer_page1031.jpg

22_sarajevo.jpg

Benny Bunter

Yeah, Palestine is great. Also check out 'but I like it' for a funny account of his time spent on tour with a rock band.

D

droid

Big manga delivery the other day:

From the guy who did 'Witches':

ChildrenoftheSea1_500.jpg

Vagabond 4 (viz big 3 in one)

vagabond4vizbig.jpg

Pluto 4 - read a chapter here

9781421519210.jpg

Oishinbo 4

Oishinbo4-Fish_cover.jpg

This has gone properly Lovecraft mental:

blade21.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
coolest style award has got to go to Matt Wagner.

but the sophistication, finesse, and charm is not empty or merely for show, for the seductive sleekness is only cohort to rigorous form, and is a lot more than meets the eye...

grendel_1.jpg

half way through his 1993 Batman and Grendel 2 issue special, and reminded of how enamored i was with his unique and innovative technique (wasn't he one of the first to use those tiny frames?), as well as the unimpeachable story telling, when i first read the Grendel series many years ago... such attention to detail, audacity and ambition... not prolific by any means, but every story he touches is exquisite, reinventing cliches and full of neurotic, delicate life... it is pop noir, to be sure, with all its excesses and limitations, and doesn't pretend to be anything profound, yet biting social commentary and complex psychological puzzles find their way into these tales, which blossom like some exquisite evil rose in the garden-maze of the devil.

love everything having to do with Grendel. is he the only "evil" protagonist in comic history??? the moral ambiguity (sometimes giving way to cruelty) means this is a character not bound by borish righteousness, and acts out of boredom more than anything else... i've always thought Hunter Rose was gay, but in this story he remembers girlfriends... so maybe he's bi?

everything has been quality, even when it's others doing the art: the super 80s series, the futuristic War Child, and all the off shoots i can get my hands on... but there are no contenders if its a story written and illustrated by Wagner... this Batman Grendel is probably the best story in all of Batman's cross over history, and there has been so many good ones... for sure something to re-read in the years to come.

short overview of Grendel here.

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ yeah, grendel!

anyone read tim vigil's faust? haven't since i was 14 or so but i remember it being bloody and maybe perverse.
faustloveofthedamned092xa6.jpg

i just devoured the first couple books of Barefoot Gen. a lot of cute/horror going on in that one. the best thing i've read in a while. hiroshima.
bombexplodes.gif

i have bleach here in front of me and there are just too many words.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
OK... whilst I would always urge people to buy the manga, especially one as good as this, here is an online version of Yotsuba, maybe my favourite comic of all time
ugh this is sooooo good
picked it up at the library
need moar

thanks!

Anyone know second hand shops in London that I could sell comics to? I've got a 50 issue complete set of a title that I want to get rid of, but the outrageous postage on such a big collection is unlikely to get people biting on ebay

zhao

there are no accidents
randomly picked up Dragon Head manga recently... like Lost meets The Road, possibly better than both put together.

dragonhead1gk4.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
^ i was into that Gore satanic stuff like Faust when i was 16 or so... the metal years. :D

D-T

Antilife Equation on 2012
This is my first post, so hello to everybody ;)
I want to recomend Scalped, by Jason Aaron and R.M. Guera on Vertigo Comics.

Noir book, set in an Indian reservation, tells the story about the return of Dashiel Badhorse to the reserve from wich he runned away years ago. Now as an undercover FBI agent has to take down the 'rez' big boss called Chief Red Crow. But you will have much more than that, you met Dashiel's mother, and lots of characters that shapes a very real and rich background.

Is a really good comic, the only comparation that comes to mind is The Wire, amazing characters, very real situations, and powerful storytelling.

anyone read it?

550-3.jpg

cheers