comics

zhao

there are no accidents
la-tour.jpg
love this moebiusesque art. is it in french only?

also of course:
8-1.jpg

D

droid

Well I started reading volume 2, because that's what was on the shelves when I noticed it. That said, you should really start with the first volume. I think it's worth sticking with, despite the rather rubbish art, but if you're not into comics or technoccult / cyber punk mish-mashes-of-every-counter-culture-trope-you-can-think-of, it's probably not worth it.

Woah. Did you just describe the work of Kev O'Neill, possibly the greatest British comic artist of his generation, and certainly the most idiosyncratic and innovative as producing 'rubbish art' ??? :eek::eek:

You need to pick up a copy of the collected Nemesis Vol.1 and atone for your sins.. or else this lot will come after you:

torquemad.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I reckon the Guardian's got it locked down for daily strips with Doonesbury and of course Steve Bell. He's a genius.

Not to mention the almighty Perry Bible Fellowship every now and then. That has to be my favourite web comic by a long way.

PBF211-Atlantis.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
Probably the best comic ever made that.

Have you checked out "Path of the Assassin', 'Samurai Executioner' and 'Legend of Kamui' by the same team?

yeah the rhythm of the panels, the story telling and action sequences... so minimal, so wicked.

i didn't know about the other series until now!!!!! :D

Benny B

Idlerich: Aw, thats a shame :slanted:

I like Steve Bell's low-brow approach though. My favourite comic in the world is still The Viz :p

D

droid

Whilst we're talking manga - Parasyte is now being reissued, with the missing fifth volume included:

parasyte_chomp1.jpg

parasyte_chomp2.jpg

And in the French vein - the excellent Jiro Tanaguchi is always worth checking

walking_tree2.jpg

And the sublime Yotsubya has reached volume 5. It may look pretty ordinary, but its utter genius and good for anyone aged 3-100.

yotsuba%20volume%201.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I like Steve Bell's low-brow approach though. My favourite comic in the world is still The Viz"
I enjoy Viz when I read it although mainly the letters and tips and stuff. Jack Black and His Dog Silver or whatever it was is a pretty good stip when it's in.

STN

sou'wester
drunkenbakersimages.jpg

Anyone seen the Drunken Bakers strip in The Viz? Dark as fuck...

Okay, I'm not one of these knobcaps who tries to make themself look all grand and perceptive by making self-conscious comparisons between 'unlikey' types of art but 'Drunken Bakers' always reminds me of Samuel Beckett.

vimothy

yurp
Woah. Did you just describe the work of Kev O'Neill, possibly the greatest British comic artist of his generation, and certainly the most idiosyncratic and innovative as producing 'rubbish art' ??? :eek::eek:

Kev O'Neil??

Don't think he ever drew for The Invisibles. I could be wrong, but Wikipedia seems to agree. It lists the artists for vol. 1 as:

Issues #1-4: Steve Yeowell
Issues #5-9: Jill Thompson
Issue #10: Chris Weston
Issue #11: John Ridgway
Issue #12: Steve Parkhouse
Issues #13-15: Jill Thompson
Issue #16: Paul Johnson
Issues #17-19: Phil Jimenez
Issue #20: Tommy Lee Edwards
Issue #21: Paul Johnson
Issues #22-24: Steve Yeowell
Issue #25: Mark Buckingham​

You need to pick up a copy of the collected Nemesis Vol.1 and atone for your sins.. or else this lot will come after you:

torquemad.jpg

Who? Might just do that anyway. I am intrigued.

D

droid

Kev O'Neil??

Don't think he ever drew for The Invisibles. I could be wrong, but Wikipedia seems to agree. It lists the artists for vol. 1 as:

Issues #1-4: Steve Yeowell
Issues #5-9: Jill Thompson
Issue #10: Chris Weston
Issue #11: John Ridgway
Issue #12: Steve Parkhouse
Issues #13-15: Jill Thompson
Issue #16: Paul Johnson
Issues #17-19: Phil Jimenez
Issue #20: Tommy Lee Edwards
Issue #21: Paul Johnson
Issues #22-24: Steve Yeowell
Issue #25: Mark Buckingham​

OK. Good. i thought you were still talking about The League of Extraordinary gentlemen :rolleyes:. Good to see you arent completely insane! ;) Youre right that O'Neill never drew for the invisibles.

Who? Might just do that anyway. I am intrigued.

That was a great O'Neill rendering of Torqumada's family that now seems to be completely inaccessible.

Get that Nemesis book. The art is astounding and it was written when Pat Mills was at his peak of his powers . Probly one of the best runs in 2000AD ever. Id also recommend Metalzoic for O'Neill fans - dont know how easy it is to get though, and the first volume of Marshall Law (by Mills and O'Neill) is utterly essential.

MarshallLaw.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
marshal law... wow that brings back memories... don't remember the story much but it was as testosterone jacked up as the characters...

so Parasyte is in the same vein as the Spiral?

D

droid

marshal law... wow that brings back memories... don't remember the story much but it was as testosterone jacked up as the characters...

Ye-ahhh, but also deeply subversive, darkly comic and very anti-superhero.

so Parasyte is in the same vein as the Spiral?

Not really - theres no supernatural basis for it and its nowhere near as creepy.

If you like Uzamaki you should read his other stuff if you haven't already. 'Gyo' is great, and his early 'Tomie' work and his short stories are all in the 'museum of terror' collections which are very easy to get.

Other notable horror manga around at the mo are the Kazuo Umezu reprints - Drifting Classroom, Scary Book, Reptillia etc... only for hardcore fans though as they are very dated.

I think i mentioned Hideshi Hino on here years back? the Hino Horrors are hilarious and deeply disturbing, very much worth a look, though some volumes are a bit shit:

hino_hideshi_bugboy.jpg

red-snake_91.jpg

Another comic that blew me away was the Otomo inspired 'Eden':

edenv5p3.jpg