JP Nut

Wild Horses
Bah. The way pubs get treated in this country is a crime against humanity.
Fucking greedy breweries, soulless developers, idiots who'd rather drink pissy lager out of a plastic cup while some clueless cunt 'drops tunes' so loud you can't hear yourself think, or pay ten quid for a poncey burger in a wanky bar with less personality than a Starbucks, than actually go to a real *pub*...

*grumble grumble grumble*

SECONDED

most decent places in brighton have had that kind of "makeover"

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
The other day I went to the dogs at Walthamstow and on the spur of the moment I ordered a bitter instead of a lager.
It was a revelation. Never again will I drink that fizzy shit. (maybe)
is this the onset of middle age?
or nostalgia for sipping my dads pint in the 70s?

Fear not Edward, it's just common sense clicking in :) Next time you're up North we'll take you for some proper smooth bitters - massive fan of bitter myself.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
most decent places in brighton have had that kind of "makeover"
There's a very funny send-up of this in The Brightonomicon, Robert Rankin's last-but-one-or-two novel (set, as the name suggests, in Hoxton-on-Sea), in which a bar regularly changes between being a normal pub, a trendy bar and various kinds of 'theme' bars several times per day.

And to Martin - welcome brother, you're now ONE OF US! You don't have to be middle-aged, I've been a real ale nut since the age of about 16. :D

Edit: gah, Edward, not Martin! Sorry. You've both got b/w avatars, is my excuse. :)

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i swear drinking lager every night form a rider makes you want to never touch the stuff again, though i'm now big into my russian stuff, think its called baltika. there was a pub in sheffield where you could get the stuff on tap, the extra strong version of it, 9%! I like theakstons, that's a bitter isn't it? That's because of my dad.

martin

----
God I miss that place too, even though it's almost single-handedly responsible for me looking like a complete tit for four years straight (bondage trousers, anyone?). One of the hairdressers was called Children of Vision, what was the other one called?

I had a pair of bondage kecks when I was 16, I thought they were alright! (though I did get rid of the in-between-the-legs strap which was just pointless) But in Luton they were considered really radical, though you'd sometimes get women in their late 30s asking if you were into Bay City Rollers. They were about a tenner back then, I think?

Children of Vision rings a bell, I knew someone who knew someone who knew someone who worked there (the one on the top floor). They used to make some sort of LSD cake, apparently you knew they were tripping when they'd start playing 'Nutbush City Limits' really loud. It was funny cos you'd get dead straight US /German tourists who thought they'd pop in for a quick trim while they were there, and would come out, crying their eyes out, with electric turquoise bob cuts.

Garageland was OK records-wise, do you remember the upstairs (small) record shack with the really MISERABLE woman with dreads?

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
I don't get the smooth bitter thing at all. Does it extend beyond Boddingtons and John Smiths? Is it possible to buy "normal" bitter up north?

It does yes, the some really good local ones and yeah it's possible to get standard bitter, Black Sheep being one of the best cheap pints going...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It does yes, the some really good local ones and yeah it's possible to get standard bitter, Black Sheep being one of the best cheap pints going..."
Ah, Black Sheep, that reminds me of when I lived in Nottingham, which I suppose brings it neatly back to the places you miss theme. Although I guess it's really the time I miss more than the place, living away from home for the first time, being (more) young and innocent but thinking that I wasn't etc

matt b

Indexing all opinion
'smooth' bitters were/ are an attempt by the corporate brewers to create bitters with the same easy care characteristics of lager, forgetting that bitter has to cask conditioned, looked after by a knowledgeable landlord.

proper bitter is still big round here- just about every town has its own brewery, my favourites being timothy taylor (keighley), whose landlord bitter, when well-kept is a stunning drink and the copper dragon brewery (skipton).

black sheep is very fine and even tetleys can be nice

oh, and i miss this pub:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/citylife/pubs/bowling_green.shtml

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Nothing wrong with good lager (Balktika, Okocim, Lech, Freedom, Kastel Kru, Peroni).

Favourite bitters (or are they ales? what's the difference?) are Black Sheep, Landlord, Deuchers and Tribute (from the St Austell Brewery) as well as all the Hall and Woodhouse ones (especially Blandford Fly).

Saying that, I'll drink pretty much anything and was considering a 'Very Strong Booze' thread, to debate the merits of Special Brew as set against King's HSL, Lynx Altra and all that other good stuff.

Wow talk about derailed. Sorry, threadstarter.
Maybe we should start a beer thread over in "misc"

So I'm going to Nottingham this weekend, what should I be drinking?

Guybrush

Dittohead
womb.gif

Obviously.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Wow talk about derailed. Sorry, threadstarter.
Maybe we should start a beer thread over in "misc"

So I'm going to Nottingham this weekend, what should I be drinking?

castle rock is a brewery- their pub/brewery is near the station- you could use it as a gateway to the meadows (somewhere i DON'T miss)

i haven't been out in nottm for about 6 years, but bunkers hill in hockley is a city centre freehouse with a good range of beers. or go up mansfield road to lincolnshire poacher (used to do good food too).

Immryr

there is already a pretty lengthy thread in the misc section about beer, i seem to remember. and yes, ale is the way of the future (past).

john eden

male pale and stale
Acklam Hall, Hammersmith.

A fantastic little venue that was hidden away in a west London nook. I saw loads of bands there, most memorably Big Black and Head of David.

Acklam Hall is now subterrania, iirc. Big Black / Head of David was at the Clarendon Hotel, as was the Butthole Surfers / Shamen / AR Kane gig.

Lichen

where's that then?

Lammermuir Hills

Half an hour south of Edinburgh. Fifteen minutes from lovely beaches at Gullane and North Berwick.

Our house was on the tree line. I could step out the door and roam for hours without seeing a car. Very rare in the UK. I used to dangle a worm into the loch you see there.

Last edited: