Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dizzee Rascal- Maths and English

the album isnt grime, except for the very last track and dizzee isnt even very good on that is he? its not imitative of US hip hop but it IS hip hop - a slightly novel spin on southern rap yeah but still basically hip hop. its done well though. cant really complain. yeah its not innovative or anything, but it does what it does well.
    Last edited by gumdrops; 02-06-2007 at 10:53 AM.

You know that feeling that you get in the pit of your stomach when some wasteman is seeing your ex-girlfriend, and you don't really care, but it still bothers you enough for it to annoy you?

That's what I feel like when I listen to this record. It's so bad, I really couldn't care less, but it is nonetheless painful, embarassing and disappointing.
    Last edited by Sick Boy; 01-06-2007 at 08:43 PM.

this is just a pop album. im a bit divided about how i feel about dizzee doing that but he couldnt do a uber-dark grime album really at this stage could he? it wouldnt be true to who he is anymore. of course he could have done a less cheesy pop album but hes trying to go totally mainstream this time. that said im not sure i can really keep listening to this. the novelty of him being so poppy was fun at first but now im just starting to feel annoyed. especially when some off the most interesting programming, ie temptation, is ruined by, of all things, a fucking arctic monkeys sample. also, footsies beat is ridiculously good but the chorus of cant tell me nothin is kinda stupid IMO.

i dont know how anyone can hate flex though, i LOVE that song! and the one with lilly allen is so fantastic too.
    Last edited by gumdrops; 02-06-2007 at 10:56 AM.

so i saw dizzee with newham gens last night.

newham gens were up first. it was a proper set rather than a rave set, and they played a fair few new tunes, like wet pum pum, along with a few older ones like prang man. as an aside, someone needs to give d double a biscuit. man's thin.

anyway, then dizzee came on and just rinsed the hits... fix up look sharp, jus' a rascal, i luv u, stand up tall, sirens. then for at the end the newham gens came back on and the three of them did a 45 minute rave set. dizzee barely touched mic during this time though, and just spat the lyrics from the aptly titled "wasteman." d double really owns the best rave bars doesn't he? tubby did keep it nice and grimey though, which was nice.

apart from the disappointing lack of quickfire dizzee madness i was expecting from the rave set, it was a good show. during the regular set you can see why dizzee rose up from the grime scene. he's just a cut above the rest when it comes to doing actual tracks and performing them. semtex did nothing to justify his prescence, just meaningless scratches over the top of the dizzee set. anyone know what the link is between the two of them? semtex does not strike me as a particularly talented dj...

semtex does not strike me as a particularly talented dj...
    Dude, make some allowances. He's hardly gonna be Q-Bert only having one arm...

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    now now just cos he's disabled doesn't mean he cant do what everyone else can

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Isn't that a slightly patronizing attitude to take? I haven't got anything against him for having one arm - it's great that he's a DJ despite the likely limitations and stigma he's suffered through having one arm. I am also aware he has a great reputation as a radio DJ.

I suppose the point I was trying to get at was what his link with Dizzee is. I know they did those mix CDs together, but these days he's pretty much the only regular part of Dizzee's act. Is he like a manager or mentor because it doesn't seem like he's musically involved.

Quote Originally Posted by tox View Post
    Isn't that a slightly patronizing attitude to take? I haven't got anything against him for having one arm - it's great that he's a DJ despite the likely limitations and stigma he's suffered through having one arm. I am also aware he has a great reputation as a radio DJ.

I suppose the point I was trying to get at was what his link with Dizzee is. I know they did those mix CDs together, but these days he's pretty much the only regular part of Dizzee's act. Is he like a manager or mentor because it doesn't seem like he's musically involved.
    There's a rwd post about it here

http://www.rwdmag.com/community/showthread.php?t=81424

I'd guess that through Westwood, Semtex had connections to the States, a power move. Or maybe they just really got on, fuck knows lol.

so i saw dizzee with newham gens last night.

newham gens were up first. it was a proper set rather than a rave set, and they played a fair few new tunes, like wet pum pum, along with a few older ones like prang man. as an aside, someone needs to give d double a biscuit. man's thin.

anyway, then dizzee came on and just rinsed the hits... fix up look sharp, jus' a rascal, i luv u, stand up tall, sirens. then for at the end the newham gens came back on and the three of them did a 45 minute rave set. dizzee barely touched mic during this time though, and just spat the lyrics from the aptly titled "wasteman." d double really owns the best rave bars doesn't he? tubby did keep it nice and grimey though, which was nice.

apart from the disappointing lack of quickfire dizzee madness i was expecting from the rave set, it was a good show. during the regular set you can see why dizzee rose up from the grime scene. he's just a cut above the rest when it comes to doing actual tracks and performing them. semtex did nothing to justify his prescence, just meaningless scratches over the top of the dizzee set. anyone know what the link is between the two of them? semtex does not strike me as a particularly talented dj...
    Yeah i saw them lst night, pretty much exactly what you said.

I did not notice semtex only had one arm though!!! His Westwood style voice is fucking terrible. Tubby did a lil 25 minute dubstep rinse out at the end also which was nice.

And both the Gens were dressed head to toe in Maharishi clothing which was a bit odd. Shame Monkstarr wasn't there.

semtex is a and r at def jam uk, he tried to sign dizzie as far as i know, he's dead into the southern stuff , i guess they know and like each other from those times.

I thought you were criticising him for a lack of deck wizardry, but I've re-read it now and you weren't, so my apologies. Semtex was an early champion of Dizzee (and tried signing him to Def Jam UK, iirc) and they've been close for a while.

Your last comment is near the mark, I think. Dizzee's manager is very serious about keeping him away from the kind of amateurism that's hindered many a grime career. Semtex has always struck me as being serious about the business, so Cage probably regards him as a good influence to have around.

anyone watching the docu on ch4? its much better than the wiley one. i dont care what anyone says, hes still a genius IMO. just a shame the beats on the soundtrack to this docu seem better than anything on the new album lol. and no it might not be grime but he still does what hes doing on this one better than virtually all other grime mcs (who all make hip hop on their mix cds too). like tox said, hes just a genius rapper....

some basic highlights -
    dizzee on a drum kit imitating d doubles signature phrases and moooaah moooah sound lol
    sort of shyly/quietly saying 'hang tight wiley'
    him answering someone at oxford who didnt know what sweet as a nut meant (really)
    dizzee giving props to mc creed and vice versa
    on a similar tip - him saying at the end he did grime cos it was diff and that he likes extreme music (doesnt explain the new album but oh well)
    all the interview footage was good IMO and interesting

shame it had to have zane lowe on it instead of some others there could have been (would have been great to hear from slimzee or geeneus or someone but i think we knew that wasnt gonna be happening)
    Last edited by gumdrops; 04-06-2007 at 12:02 AM.

quality documentary wasn't it gumdrops? beat the hell out of the bob marley one on the otherside in the slot before.

dizzee really is very wise. it was good to see a musician humble enough to talk about the importance of learning, and relationships in making music. he seems to have extreme musical talent coupled with a good knowledge of how to get on in life...

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops View Post

some basic highlights -

him answering someone at oxford who didnt know what sweet as a nut meant (really)
    Yeah, that was brilliant, "You're clever, you're clever"...

He was really honest and thoughtful in his interviews, which made for a good watch. Less good, tho, was how into it he looked when the bass player out of Red Hot Chilli Peppers was doing his freestyle bass slapping nonsense. And that awful rock-rap version of one of his old tunes (can't remember which one now).

The beat for the Gen's 'Pepper' sounded awesome. They played loads of new ones including two called 'Wet Pussy' and 'Bell Dem Slags'.