Dizzee Rascal- Maths and English

Pulchritude

rules & regs has the potential to be a great pop album but what holds it back is this discouragingly uninterested, slightly bored, painfully competent (and not much more) MCing from all the members. theres none of the inspiration of dizzee on M+E. dizzee sounds energetic and happy and charged with what hes doing, roll deep just sounded like it was another day at the office (and a pretty dull one) on rules and regs.
I dunno, there are some really good moments on it. I think that Scratchy was really prominent, and for good reason. I think he should release more stuff of his own.

gumdrops

i still like various parts of this a lot but i do kinda wish it wasnt quite so cheesy and 'familiar' all over.

i dont wanna hear grime going pop like this again i dont think. even though dizzee pulls it off cos hes well, dizzee, seems like a waste of talent.

curiously q mag gave it 2/5. which i quite like.

he's having fun innit?

that's really it

look at the back cover - he's sticking his fingers up to everyone just saying 'i'm gonna do me, what I wanna do...say what you want' and then also 'f*** you anyway' to ppl that agree with him aswell lol

but I reaally wouldn't want to be diz. not only is it lonely at the top but to know that skillwise you would easily get murked by some youngers on a clash ting must not be a good feeling...if someone could arrange that then that might get him to wake up a bit...Sama lol?

'where's the g's' gives me joke though - can't wait to see the vid...'all I see is hyyype' lol

trust me the 4th album will see him saying 'I'm coming back to the road' - it's such a blatant strategy - it's what all rappers do....break for stardom then rawness again...

gumdrops

status aint hood review
http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/2007/06/dizzee_rascal_r.php#more

i find it funny hwo scathing he is on grime not being that big anymore but if it was some new southern thing, hed take a much more sympathetic tone.

i think theres something to his observation that these tracks have a 'pocket'. although theres plenty of grime tracks that do, there are a LOT that dont. which is a result of producers just not knowing what the fuck theyre doing imo.

blubeat

blubeat
Wannabe makes me cry inside.
Lol - they have been playing it in reggae sets as it has a skanky beat - it might not be grimey but I like it. I may tire of it quickly and Logan may roll his eyes in disgust and I might regret owning up. But I like it!

Tim F

'Asides from the first tack its pretty waste- and not really as "pop" as people have been making out (nor as "hip hop", though that doesn't mean of course that its especially grime). Putting "Boy in Da Corner" aside, and listening to it with reference to "Showtime" its deficient in almost every single department, from beats, to production quality (exception- "Sirens" which is a decent track actually) to the obviously nursery rhyme (in a bad way) flow. A "pop" record should sound a bit more exciting than this surely?"

Ha ha I think the first track might be the weakest on what is otherwise a very very good album! That track is too much of a hamfisted attempt to recapture "Brand New Day" when obv. the best part about this album is the made-in-two-minutes party vibe to so much of it - "Flex", "Da Feelin", "Pussyole". I actually think his lyrics here are mostly as good as ever, people complain about "Suck My Dik" but I wonder if they're getting past the title/chorus because I reckon it's one of his cleverest songs.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Album comes off a bit like a reworking of Showtime. There's plenty of interchangable tracks from Showtime, but none of the killer beats like Respect Me, Hype Talk or Stand Up Tall

Also, Da Feelin is such a disappointing middle of the road Shy FX beat.

crackerjack

i still like various parts of this a lot but i do kinda wish it wasnt quite so cheesy and 'familiar' all over.

i dont wanna hear grime going pop like this again i dont think. even though dizzee pulls it off cos hes well, dizzee, seems like a waste of talent.

curiously q mag gave it 2/5. which i quite like.

I heard that Q review was them following through on a threat to slate it if they weren't given an advance copy. Despicable if true.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I heard that Q review was them following through on a threat to slate it if they weren't given an advance copy. Despicable if true.

Fuckin hell that's just a horrible thing for a music journalist to do, for fuck's sake. Attack the record company in print about it by all means but don't blame the fucking artist. Some people don't have any clue.

Wow I really swore alot, that's really wound me up.

crackerjack

Fuckin hell that's just a horrible thing for a music journalist to do, for fuck's sake. Attack the record company in print about it by all means but don't blame the fucking artist. Some people don't have any clue.

Wow I really swore alot, that's really wound me up.

I think the blame would lie in the editorial towers, not with any individial writer (esp if it was a freelancer). Q review marks aren't entirely in the reviewer's control. Who reviewed it?

Woebot

someone played me pussyhole the other night and i thought it was wicked.

(thinks i ought to check out the whole lp now)

if that track is supposed to be more like UK Hip-Hop (or is it other tunes) then people don't know what they're talking about. it's like that old stuff on tribal bass isn't it? with that rave stab. wicked.

benjybars

village elder.
The best review i've seen of this so far is this week's Heat magazine... seriously. The review goes on about how the album sorely lacks his old 'lower than lohan' basslines and is just generally bland and not grimey enough!!

big up Heat!

gumdrops

the new tracks are quite boring when he does them live compared to old stuff like stop dat and i luv u

the energy is lacking

flex is still great though

agree with logan - the shy fx beat is tragically MOR