Dizzee Rascal- Maths and English

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Have we had a thread yet?

I heard it the other day, and to my ears it's very weak indeed I feel. There's no Grime beats on there, essentially- although there is a Shy FX junglist collaboration, which sounds horrifically dated- it's all hip hop. Some of the lyrics are really vacuous, particularly one track which is called something like "Suck My Dick" or "You're A Cock" or something.

Nevertheless, apart from Sirens, which I reckon is a pretty stonking track with it's metal/hip hop mosh beat, there's one other track on there which sounded really strong, almost in spite of itself. It's a track about how to get a record deal and make it big. Although it's presumably meant to be a self-celebratory anthem, it's got all these lines in there about "tone down the thug shit/tone down the drug shit" which are actually really poignant. It's as if he's had to bury his old self to attain this medium level of crossover success, you can almost hear him swallowing his pride as hit spits the lyric, but there's a taste of bile that remains.

Strangeley poignant in the same way as "Flyin" from Showtime, which was an amazing track.

nomos

Administrator
It's as if he's had to bury his old self to attain this medium level of crossover success, you can almost hear him swallowing his pride as hit spits the lyric, but there's a taste of bile that remains.
That's really sad. I've only heard a small amount and you've confirmed my fear that it was hip hop beats rather than grime. It's the same formula that's done oh so much for Sov (different scale, I know, but the same process of A&R fuckery). Presumably it's meant to help him get mixed into hip hop sets but it totally diffuses his flow. A year or so ago, he mentioned that the album would have some "real instruments" on it (*cringe*). Did that happen?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Strangely, his flow sounds pretty good sometimes, although there sounded like a lot of overdubbing on the album - ie not single takes. The problem for me is that the lyrics sound so vacuous, and the beats are boring.

I thought there was gonna be a track called "Wastemen" on the album, which I heard ages ago and was waste, but it appears not to be on there.

hint

party record with a siren
there's one other track on there which sounded really strong, almost in spite of itself. It's a track about how to get a record deal and make it big. Although it's presumably meant to be a self-celebratory anthem, it's got all these lines in there about "tone down the thug shit/tone down the drug shit" which are actually really poignant..

Strong back,
Stern face,
Play your position and know your place

That's "Industry", isn't it? Not really supposed to be self-celebratory, I don't think. It's meant to be a set of guidelines for other artists, based on what he's learnt - how to deal with interviews, labels, gigs etc.

viktorvaughn

Strangely, his flow sounds pretty good sometimes, although there sounded like a lot of overdubbing on the album - ie not single takes. The problem for me is that the lyrics sound so vacuous, and the beats are boring.

I thought there was gonna be a track called "Wastemen" on the album, which I heard ages ago and was waste, but it appears not to be on there.

Yeah it was pretty poor i think. I have it if anyone wants to hear it.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I like sirens, or well, the first two thirds of it, the end is a bit stichk. I heard the industry a while ago and thought it was awful, boring flow, boring beats. I like dizzee flowing fast, his power seems somehow dissipated otherwise. I heard one other track, who's title eludes me, something about the manor that was pretty good I thought. It had a kind of weird synth line and the only beat was burial-esque knife sharpening sounds.

I'm gonna keep an open mind, am hoping to be pleasantly suprised.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
He's offering himself up as a sacrifice, isn't he? That's what the Sirens video is saying anyway, that he's the sacrifice so that more will come behind him. It's always hard being the first one through the gates.

S

simon silverdollar

just heard this this morning. it's not great, but i actually quite enjoyed it. track by track it's not impressive- going from the now rudimentary itchy, scratchy dizzee production to glossy but hollow bigger sounding tracks, and all with a strangely blocky, nursery rhyme flow.

but as an album as a whole, i think it kind of works, or at least comes close to working; it's got an energy and urgency, and perhaps a poppiness, to it that makes you want to listen to it again (which i didn't really get with 'showtime'). when you compare it to Boy In Da Corner, though, it doesn't stand up well at all. it's a fun listen, but it's not something that stays with you like BIDC did.

and there is no excuse for the shy fx track on there. it sounds like it was made in about 15 minutes. and not in a good way. autpilot bizznizz.

oaaaaaaaaaah!

He's offering himself up as a sacrifice, isn't he? That's what the Sirens video is saying anyway, that he's the sacrifice so that more will come behind him. It's always hard being the first one through the gates.

that's what it may mean...of course! why didn't I get that? I'm losin it lol...anyway

that doesn't excuse the poor flows and complete departure to a odd slightly dated hip-hop sound does it? but as long as he's doin' what he WANTS to do and not what a manager and a+r say then I'm geniunely (bad spelling) happy for him

seriously

gullyskengman

How come some of you have heard it already ? Are you journalists that have recieved promos ?

And viktorvaughn I would appreciate it if you could upload that track I've never actually heard it ...

gumdrops

On thursday June 14th, Dizzee Rascal presents Dirtee Stank at KOKO in London. The night will feature performances from DJ Tubby, Newham Generals and Dizzee Rascal, who will be playing brand new material from his forthcoming third album "Maths & English." The album is due for release on monday June 4th, preceded by the single "Sirens" on monday 21st May. If you haven't already seen it, check out the video below:

Dizzee will also be taking the Dirtee Stank tour around the UK and will be playing at the following venues:

Friday 25th May - Plymouth University
Saturday 26th May - Falmouth Stannary (University of Exeter)
Friday 1st June - Edinburgh Liquid Rooms
Saturday 2nd June - Sheffield Plug
Thursday 14th June - London KOKO
Thursday 21st June - Cambridge Junction
Friday 22nd June - Brighton Concorde 2

In the lead up to the release of the single and album, you can catch Dizzee in action on the following TV shows, starting tonight.

Friday 11th May - Later With Jools Holland - 23.35 BBC2
He performs "Excuse Me Please" exclusive - as never before or will ever be seen again. Features Winston Blissett of Massive Attack on bass and Dave Hirscheimer AKA Satan from UK metal band Fuckshovel on drums.

Saturday 12th May - Popworld - Channel 4 - 10.30am
Interview.

Friday 18th May - Transmission With T Mobile - Channel 4 - 23.40
Performance of "Sirens."

Saturday 26th May - Popworld - Channel 4 - 10.30am
Performance of "Sirens."

Saturday June 2nd - Culture Show - BBC2 - 7.10pm
Performance of "Bubbles" and interview.

Sunday June 3rd - Dizzee Rascal 45 Minute Documentary - Channel 4 - 12 midnight

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

has this leaked then? if someone could possibly inbox me a link i would be very grateful.

i doubt it. reviewers need to go to the beggar's banquet offices to listen to it- no promo copies are being sent out.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Dizzee Rascal presents......

From Dizzee's press office:

"In the lead up to the release of the single and album, you can catch Dizzee in action on the following TV shows, starting tonight.

Friday 11th May - Later With Jools Holland - 23.35 BBC2

He performs "Excuse Me Please" exclusive - as never before or will ever be seen again. Features Winston Blissett of Massive Attack on bass and Dave Hirscheimer AKA Satan from UK metal band Fuckshovel on drums."

Dizzee going on seriously differently...

tox

Factory Girl
So I forced all my flatmates to watch 2 fucking travis songs and endure that cock Jools Holland and his shitty boogie woogie piano before Dizzee even came on.

Can't say he was really worth waiting for. He's managed to turn into someone as inoffensive as all the rest of the Jools acts. That's quite a feat considering yesterday they included Beverly Knight! I'm kinda hoping it was on a one off "special" for the Jools vibe... anyway he was blown out of the water by Joanna Newsom later in the show (the only even vaugely tolerable act tbh).

Still, I've got tix to see the Dirtee Stank tour and shall be ravin' it up at the front. Sure it'll be a good show.

gumdrops

Dizzee going on seriously differently...

not so much differently as um, pretty boring. i thought the bassist was good but the whole song just sounded so twee and inoffensive almost stoner ish brit rap. the flow was really simplistic and boring too, until the last verse.