Dizzee Rascal- Maths and English

Cornflake

I heard the track with artic monkeys and thought it was horrible. I can like some rock, but it doesnt even that great to begin with. Then dizzee's lyrics arent what i was hoping to hear. I havent heard anything new from dizzee that his lyrics have really been on point or excited me for his album. Pussyhole was the only thing that i could listen to more than 4-5 times and not hate it.

tox

Factory Girl
I havent heard anything new from dizzee that his lyrics have really been on point or excited me for his album. Pussyhole was the only thing that i could listen to more than 4-5 times and not hate it.

I know! I remember hearing Dizzee at Creamfields, just before Showtime came out. His new bars were SHOWER. I couldn't wait to hear them in full on the LP...

However, this time around there are no lyrics of his I've heard which have been even vaugely exciting. Even the sets he did on Rinse last year were flat as anything in terms of new bars. Anyway, my hopes aren't as high for this album as they were for Showtime, so hopefully it won't disappoint, if you see what I mean. At the very least I'm hoping for a quality pop record.

gumdrops

i like the beat but i thought that b side was kinda rubbish. i know the story is sad but the way he raps about it is just like something youd expect from a 10 year old.

Cornflake

See that the bootlegs have started already. Sucks to be an artist i swear sometimes.

Im not pleased with what i heard, but i expected what i heard. Only a few tunes that i enjoyed...U cant tell me nuffin is prolly my fav. I dont mind Pussyhole..but the rest just dont do it for me.

xenon

Wild Horses
It leaked yesterday. I think a lot of you are unfairly reviewing this album. I pretty much agree with what silverdollar said, but I might enjoy it just a bit more than he does. Someone said its hip-hop, I disagree with that. It may not sound like all of the new grime that has been coming out lately, but it does sound like british music that has a danceable quality to it. I think if more people stopped trying to pigeonhole dizzee into their expectations of what he and grime should sound like, and just listened to it for what it is, they might appreciate it a little more.

gullyskengman

It leaked yesterday. I think a lot of you are unfairly reviewing this album. I pretty much agree with what silverdollar said, but I might enjoy it just a bit more than he does. Someone said its hip-hop, I disagree with that. It may not sound like all of the new grime that has been coming out lately, but it does sound like british music that has a danceable quality to it. I think if more people stopped trying to pigeonhole dizzee into their expectations of what he and grime should sound like, and just listened to it for what it is, they might appreciate it a little more.

Yes I appreciate it as music but he's got nothing on Wiley's album . . .

gumdrops

the album isnt grime, except for the very last track and dizzee isnt even very good on that is he? its not imitative of US hip hop but it IS hip hop - a slightly novel spin on southern rap yeah but still basically hip hop. its done well though. cant really complain. yeah its not innovative or anything, but it does what it does well.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
You know that feeling that you get in the pit of your stomach when some wasteman is seeing your ex-girlfriend, and you don't really care, but it still bothers you enough for it to annoy you?

That's what I feel like when I listen to this record. It's so bad, I really couldn't care less, but it is nonetheless painful, embarassing and disappointing.

Last edited:

gumdrops

this is just a pop album. im a bit divided about how i feel about dizzee doing that but he couldnt do a uber-dark grime album really at this stage could he? it wouldnt be true to who he is anymore. of course he could have done a less cheesy pop album but hes trying to go totally mainstream this time. that said im not sure i can really keep listening to this. the novelty of him being so poppy was fun at first but now im just starting to feel annoyed. especially when some off the most interesting programming, ie temptation, is ruined by, of all things, a fucking arctic monkeys sample. also, footsies beat is ridiculously good but the chorus of cant tell me nothin is kinda stupid IMO.

i dont know how anyone can hate flex though, i LOVE that song! and the one with lilly allen is so fantastic too. :)

Last edited:

tox

Factory Girl
so i saw dizzee with newham gens last night.

newham gens were up first. it was a proper set rather than a rave set, and they played a fair few new tunes, like wet pum pum, along with a few older ones like prang man. as an aside, someone needs to give d double a biscuit. man's thin.

anyway, then dizzee came on and just rinsed the hits... fix up look sharp, jus' a rascal, i luv u, stand up tall, sirens. then for at the end the newham gens came back on and the three of them did a 45 minute rave set. dizzee barely touched mic during this time though, and just spat the lyrics from the aptly titled "wasteman." d double really owns the best rave bars doesn't he? tubby did keep it nice and grimey though, which was nice.

apart from the disappointing lack of quickfire dizzee madness i was expecting from the rave set, it was a good show. during the regular set you can see why dizzee rose up from the grime scene. he's just a cut above the rest when it comes to doing actual tracks and performing them. semtex did nothing to justify his prescence, just meaningless scratches over the top of the dizzee set. anyone know what the link is between the two of them? semtex does not strike me as a particularly talented dj...

tox

Factory Girl
Dude, make some allowances. He's hardly gonna be Q-Bert only having one arm...

Isn't that a slightly patronizing attitude to take? I haven't got anything against him for having one arm - it's great that he's a DJ despite the likely limitations and stigma he's suffered through having one arm. I am also aware he has a great reputation as a radio DJ.

I suppose the point I was trying to get at was what his link with Dizzee is. I know they did those mix CDs together, but these days he's pretty much the only regular part of Dizzee's act. Is he like a manager or mentor because it doesn't seem like he's musically involved.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Isn't that a slightly patronizing attitude to take? I haven't got anything against him for having one arm - it's great that he's a DJ despite the likely limitations and stigma he's suffered through having one arm. I am also aware he has a great reputation as a radio DJ.

I suppose the point I was trying to get at was what his link with Dizzee is. I know they did those mix CDs together, but these days he's pretty much the only regular part of Dizzee's act. Is he like a manager or mentor because it doesn't seem like he's musically involved.

There's a rwd post about it here

http://www.rwdmag.com/community/showthread.php?t=81424

I'd guess that through Westwood, Semtex had connections to the States, a power move. Or maybe they just really got on, fuck knows lol.

viktorvaughn

so i saw dizzee with newham gens last night.

newham gens were up first. it was a proper set rather than a rave set, and they played a fair few new tunes, like wet pum pum, along with a few older ones like prang man. as an aside, someone needs to give d double a biscuit. man's thin.

anyway, then dizzee came on and just rinsed the hits... fix up look sharp, jus' a rascal, i luv u, stand up tall, sirens. then for at the end the newham gens came back on and the three of them did a 45 minute rave set. dizzee barely touched mic during this time though, and just spat the lyrics from the aptly titled "wasteman." d double really owns the best rave bars doesn't he? tubby did keep it nice and grimey though, which was nice.

apart from the disappointing lack of quickfire dizzee madness i was expecting from the rave set, it was a good show. during the regular set you can see why dizzee rose up from the grime scene. he's just a cut above the rest when it comes to doing actual tracks and performing them. semtex did nothing to justify his prescence, just meaningless scratches over the top of the dizzee set. anyone know what the link is between the two of them? semtex does not strike me as a particularly talented dj...

Yeah i saw them lst night, pretty much exactly what you said.

I did not notice semtex only had one arm though!!! His Westwood style voice is fucking terrible. Tubby did a lil 25 minute dubstep rinse out at the end also which was nice.

And both the Gens were dressed head to toe in Maharishi clothing which was a bit odd. Shame Monkstarr wasn't there.

mms

sometimes
semtex is a and r at def jam uk, he tried to sign dizzie as far as i know, he's dead into the southern stuff , i guess they know and like each other from those times.