Why do I find web stuff so confusing? [Why is Wordpress such a piece of shit?]

john eden

male pale and stale
Droid said:
Gonna finally move over to wordpress is well. Blogger is appallingly bad. Just have to do a bit of customisation on some templates…

Wordpress 2.2 just out with lots of widget compatibility and ting. Hold tight widget crew!

neupunk

Every time I try to post to my blog it takes fucking hours because I always get errors, as if it doesn't like some of the text strings... except it's different every time. I tend to write posts in Word so it doesn't eat them if the connection to the server goes down and then paste them in. - usually as a plain text file, though it doesn't seem to make any difference. Neither does it make any difference if I put text into the html editor, or just write straight in to the page - there's just endless errors.

You're probably being bitten by Word's use of "smart quotes" -- MS-specific characters that do the left\right curvy quotes around sentences instead of the HTML entities for the same, or the generic double tick marks. I'm not sure if it's Wordpress or another part of the chain that's mangling your text, but that's the culprit. Either export to HTML from Word if you must, or use a text editor that's made to edit HTML.