Where should I eat in London?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Is Merkato, the Ethiopian place on Caledonian Road, still open. The Afghan Kitchen review reminded me of it. Largely indifferent food, but I will never forget the place.

Bread the size of bin lids
Lovely Wat
Tinned veg

Here it is.
Long gone I suspect - hope to hear otherwise

pretty sure i walked past it the other week. walked past two shut-down pubs within 2 minutes of it though, so business may not be great.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
anyone (mrsloane?) know anywhere cheap quick and good in Stockwell?

hot stuff (5 mins from stockwell) is raved about by many (indian cuisine). I personally wasn't that moved by it, but....

I'm sure there's good portuguese to be had not far down stockwell road.

Krasner

I went to Silk Road on Camberwell Church St the other week. Some serious Xinjiang province style food going on. We had the big plate chicken:

big-plate-chicken.jpg

This monster of a dish is only £15 and feeds about 5 people. Halfway through they bring some lovely thick handmade noodles and dump in the broth. Lush.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
hot stuff (5 mins from stockwell) is raved about by many (indian cuisine). I personally wasn't that moved by it, but....

I'm sure there's good portuguese to be had not far down stockwell road.

Not been to Hot Stuff, erm...Nandos :) I think is the only place I've ever eaten in Stockwell aside from the kebab shop, weirdly.

There's two Portuguese places down the South Lambeth Road which is a short bus ride/brisk walk away which are meant to be good, or in the other direction there's the Dragon Castle at the Elephant and Castle which is meant to be a really good Cantonese but I went there and it was a bit pricey so didn't go in. I get sniffy about paying 8 quid for sweet and sour pork on the Elephant and Castle roundabout.

There's like a million restaurants in Clapham which isnt far

Um sorry!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I really wanna go to Silk Road, heard great things about it.

On the portuguese tip - and close to you baboon - is Brazas just on the corner of Brixton Water Lane and Tulse Hill, blindingly good piri piri chicken.

viktorvaughn

I went to Silk Road on Camberwell Church St the other week. Some serious Xinjiang province style food going on. We had the big plate chicken:

big-plate-chicken.jpg

This monster of a dish is only £15 and feeds about 5 people. Halfway through they bring some lovely thick handmade noodles and dump in the broth. Lush.

this place is on my list after reading about it on a food blog! looks ace

Krasner

anyone (mrsloane?) know anywhere cheap quick and good in Stockwell?

I don't think i've ever actually eaten anywhere good in Stockwell proper but there's a fair few places in the surrounding areas. Perhaps my favourite is Migue's, an argentinian place at the Oval end of Brixton Road. Unsurprisingly its all about the meat. They do an awesome burger (featuring two patties, ham, a fried egg and crisps) for about a fiver and steak with patacones (crispy fried green plantain) for 7 quid.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I really wanna go to Silk Road, heard great things about it.

On the portuguese tip - and close to you baboon - is Brazas just on the corner of Brixton Water Lane and Tulse Hill, blindingly good piri piri chicken.

soemone else told me about that place too! totally forgotten to go there...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
There's two Portuguese places down the South Lambeth Road which is a short bus ride/brisk walk away which are meant to be good, or in the other direction there's the Dragon Castle at the Elephant and Castle which is meant to be a really good Cantonese but I went there and it was a bit pricey so didn't go in. I get sniffy about paying 8 quid for sweet and sour pork on the Elephant and Castle roundabout.

Estrela's great on South Lambeth.

Dragon Castle is well pricey, yeah. They totally cheated us on the wine costs when we went there too.. not impressed.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't think i've ever actually eaten anywhere good in Stockwell proper but there's a fair few places in the surrounding areas. Perhaps my favourite is Migue's, an argentinian place at the Oval end of Brixton Road. Unsurprisingly its all about the meat. They do an awesome burger (featuring two patties, ham, a fried egg and crisps) for about a fiver and steak with patacones (crispy fried green plantain) for 7 quid.

If memory serves, there are a couple of great tapas places right next to the tube or very close anyway. Can anyone verify this for me? Also - El Rincon in Clapham - best tapas I've had in London.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
If memory serves, there are a couple of great tapas places right next to the tube or very close anyway. Can anyone verify this for me? Also - El Rincon in Clapham - best tapas I've had in London.

El Rincon is the only restaurant in London aside from lunchtime sandwich shops where I get recognised by the staff, which is nice. Brilliant people, only reason to go to Cla'ham.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
anyone know where to get a good burrito?

i nominate food for thought in covent garden, such good quality vegetarian food and so consistent. i even bought their recipe book.

luka

all the other customers look ill though, real pastey, with dark circles under their eyes and bad hair.... something about health food seems to do that to people

nice salads though, and im vegetarian so its good for me.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
you might have a point cos i fit that description quite well.

mind you, the insomnia and d-i-y haircuts don't help.

Tweak Head

Have you tried the korean places on Denmark Street? Very cheap and absolutely lovely. I could eat kimchee all day.

Me too. Big Korean community in New Malden (no, I have no idea why), which is out past Wimbledon. So there are some really good Korean restaurants there. My favourite is Sorabol, near the big roundabout, which has a real local, family feel. There's another one around the corner that has real charcoal in its table barbecues (Sorabol has gas), but Ithink Sorabol is better. They have Japanese beer too, which is far, far better than the Korean stuff at the other place.

STN

sou'wester
Me too. Big Korean community in New Malden (no, I have no idea why), which is out past Wimbledon. So there are some really good Korean restaurants there. My favourite is Sorabol, near the big roundabout, which has a real local, family feel. There's another one around the corner that has real charcoal in its table barbecues (Sorabol has gas), but Ithink Sorabol is better. They have Japanese beer too, which is far, far better than the Korean stuff at the other place.

korean beer is pretty dire, isn't it?