Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Where should I eat in London?

Quote Originally Posted by simon
    mandalay on edgeware road (near Lord's cricket ground) do truly wonderful burmese food, and are super friendly
    wow went there years ago still remember fondly the fish samosas mmmm

try mazorca on brixton rd (did they just chnage their name?)
    or the nameless place deep in brixton market
    for enormous & fantastic colombian soup then main course deals & incredible juices

also
    adulis - splendid eritrean on brixton rd near oval

lush
    the strength of london's cuisine is the diversity of it's communities - does cheap & nice english food exist?

There's a great Thai place in Stoke Newington called Yum Yum, not super-cheap but not too expensive either. The food's great, and they do some nice cocktails and Leffe on draught, which is great.

For a great cheap (non-curry-related) snack there are two great bagel places on the north end of Brick Lane, although I'm sure they've both been mentioned already.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    the strength of london's cuisine is the diversity of it's communities - does cheap & nice english food exist?
    YES IT DOES! Find a good pie shop - doesn't even have to be a restaurant, you can buy great pies in delis and markets. And great English cheeses, and hams, sausages, pickes...stuff you can either cook at home or eat raw in a pic-nic or ploughman's-type lunch. Proper fish and chips is great, although sadly increasingly hard to find these days due to competition from kebab/burger/fried chicken places.
    One of these days I seriously intend to buy a pot of jellied eels, too, but I haven'tgot round to it yet.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by STN View Post
    *after witnessing me undertaking a bout of overeating that would have shamed Caligula, a colleague of mine said 'it's eat all you want, not eat all you can'. I bitterly dispute this.
    isnt that just a joke off peep show

Quote Originally Posted by Immryr View Post
    isnt that just a joke off peep show
    Oh, possibly. I do rather hope not.

its from an episode in series one =p

Hmmm, I'd love to loftily say 'I don't watch Peep Show' but I do. And I like it.

frocks on lauriston road, right near victoria park, for lovely and really reasonably priced french/english bistro-style cuisine (and a killer cheesecake dessert).
    Frocks is good- as are the pizzas at The Lauriston pub on the same road...

There's also a hidden away little place called the Thai Room at Bow Wharf- where the big Fitness First gym is (I'm horrible with road names, but if you go up and around to the left from Frocks you'll eventually come to a roundabout- it's off that), you go under this arch, past a kid's playground and this big place called the Fat Cat Cafe or something and it's right there on your left. Or just walk up the canal from Victoria Park and approach it from the other way. It's a bit pricey there most nights but they do a more affordable Sunday buffet, and the people that run it are really lovely...
    in the eyes of the lord i drive a spaceship.

Sounds like Grove Road to me - going north from the crossroads at Mile End station, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by mos dan View Post
    kastoori is veggie, i might add. not that this makes it any less fantastic. as a tooting-ite, i wish there was a decent pub i could recommend to you for an after-dinner drink, but tbh you're better off heading back towards balham on the bus, to the duke of devonshire on balham high road
    Oh god the Kastoori, thirded as the absolute best place to eat Indian - or any type - of food in London, oh my god what a place. The tomato curry and, if you're there on the day they do it, the baked banana curry is just the bomb.

I went to Zaika - http://www.zaika-restaurant.co.uk/menu.html
    kinda michelin type Indian in Kensington - recently and the gourmand menu was a work of fucking art. Well worth a trip if you know anyone with an expense account

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    Good question. I was a devotee of caff called Butts at the Smithfield end of St John Street.

They always had a cold rib of beef, a ham on the bone and a turkey to carve cold cuts from.

Sensational home-chipped chips, good black pud.

What a caff!

Of course it's gone; replaced by a faceless coffee shop.

Anyone else remember Butts?

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    jai krishnas stroud green road, finsbury park,really good veggie indian in a restaurant that hasn't changed since the early 80's with moody staff, and an odd way of ordering.Good atmosphere, very cheap.
    BRAP!

cannot recommend jai krishna highly enough.. and they've just opened one on turnpike lane

also go and eat turkish food in haringey/dalston

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    There's a great Thai place in Stoke Newington called Yum Yum, not super-cheap but not too expensive either. The food's great, and they do some nice cocktails and Leffe on draught, which is great.

For a great cheap (non-curry-related) snack there are two great bagel places on the north end of Brick Lane, although I'm sure they've both been mentioned already.

i def would not call that Thai spot "great", i would say dead average is more like it, at least by nyc standards... tho, i did appriciate the decent beer selection...

and yes, those bagel/salt beef spots at the end of Brick Lane are pretty great and damn affortable for london food...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    YES IT DOES! Find a good pie shop - doesn't even have to be a restaurant, you can buy great pies in delis and markets. And great English cheeses, and hams, sausages, pickes...stuff you can either cook at home or eat raw in a pic-nic or ploughman's-type lunch. Proper fish and chips is great, although sadly increasingly hard to find these days due to competition from kebab/burger/fried chicken places.
    One of these days I seriously intend to buy a pot of jellied eels, too, but I haven'tgot round to it yet.
    there's an eel shop about a 5 minute walk from Camden Market that is decent... it's down the street from (i think) a Tesco... (i actually ended up copping pre-made sandwhiches from tesco and boots quite a bit last time i was in london, as i knew it would be decent enough and quite cheap and for me as an american, a chicken tikka sandwhich on brown bread counts as exotic eating...)

the Stockpot in Soho is a good cheap spot to eat... nothing amazing, but you can count on a decent meal w/o breaking your budget if you are in that area...

There is a phenomenal cake shop just down the road from the Stockpot - not necessarily cheap but amongst the finest patisserie eating experiences I have had in this country. And the woman who runs it is absolutely delightful too - it's called Madame Something and I noticed they have a stall at Borough Market on a Saturday as well. (and still didn't think to memorise the name)

Tas Pide - just round the corner from Tate Modern/Globe is also well worth a go. Turkish, superb service and the kind of place where they bring you something extra for nothing just because.

If you are further West there is a very good Iranian on the Warwick Road - Mohsen which I would suggest could possibly rival Patogh over on Crawford Place (next to Edgeware Road) - both do good lamb Kebabs and amazing flatbreads the size of your table.

Tayabs is a must and i agree that unless you know where you're going then don't even bother with Brick Lane - instead go to The India Club on The Strand - just look for the sign for the Strand Continental Hotel, head upstairs, quell fears that jenks has sold you a pup and stop when you reach the top floor - all formica tables and pictures of Mountbatten but proper indian food. It's where i always take vegetarians who don't like japaneses food. Lovely dosas.

and yes, those bagel/salt beef spots at the end of Brick Lane are pretty great and damn affortable for london food...
    Yes! Cheap and open 24 hours; my standard call after any sort of late night.
    in the eyes of the lord i drive a spaceship.