Where should I eat in London?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I got a good one:

There is this mexican restaurant north off Oxford St. I forget the name of the street but it's one street over from Berner St in the direction of Tottenham Court Road.

You'll find it, it's the only Mexican restaurant on the road.

When you are there order the Street Tacos and come back here and thank me afterwards.

:)

EDIT: I'm almost postive the restaurant is on Newman St.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I ate at the Mangal Ocakbasi 1 last night - phenomenal! I had the mixed grill with quails for 13£ and it was this incredible pile of succulent char-grilled meat with a lovely fresh salad and pickles and decent bread. It was better than the Mangal Ocakbasi 2 which is on Kingsland Road proper and is the one that Gilbert and George eat in every night at 8pm. 1 is more of a proper grill joint where you order at the counter; 2 is more of a sit down restaurant, though the food is of course fairly similar. They also have a Mangal Pide place further up the road but I have not eaten there. Will check out Somine.

Hmm, shame you didn't enjoy Tayyabs more! When I ate there is was tons better than the rubbish I have had a couple of times on Brick Lane which tasted like cheap microwave meals. I didn't find it overly-hot either, might have just struck lucky. Is Rasa the one on Church St?

Will definitely try Mangal Ocakbasi next time I'm in Dalston!

Maybe I just got a bad night at Tayyabs, but I wasn't impressed. Yep, there's two Rasas on Church Street: one meat and one veg.

I've got one more: Otonomiyake/Abeno on Museum Street in Bloomsbury. Wonderfuly authentic Japanese cabbage pancakes...

viktorvaughn

Will definitely try Mangal Ocakbasi next time I'm in Dalston!

Maybe I just got a bad night at Tayyabs, but I wasn't impressed. Yep, there's two Rasas on Church Street: one meat and one veg.

I've got one more: Otonomiyake/Abeno on Museum Street in Bloomsbury. Wonderfuly authentic Japanese cabbage pancakes...

My Japanese house-mates cooked me those things, they were amazing. Thanks for the tip.

viktorvaughn

More tips please!

Here's a few of mine.

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/reviews/10533.html
Al Parco is a wicked pizza place right next to Hampstead Heath.

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant-3775.php
Assa is a wicked Korean near Centre Point - try the fired mackerel.

http://www.thefishclub.com/
This was well nice and we just all paid 15£ as there was a big group and we got a mixture of things, all huge portions, though I think they were trying to shift the fish at the end of the day.

rasa in charlotte st (as was mentioned before) is great. i had a beetroot wedding curry when i was there, just divine.

for ethiopian i like lallibela in tufnell park, not exactly cheap but fantastic food

viktorvaughn

rasa in charlotte st (as was mentioned before) is great. i had a beetroot wedding curry when i was there, just divine.

for ethiopian i like lallibela in tufnell park, not exactly cheap but fantastic food

I have now eaten at both Lalibella and Queen of Sheba and they were both really nice. Ate for about 10£ per head in Queen of Sheba and its a really nice chilled atmos, at end of Fortess Road near Kentish Town tube.

Off to Jai Krishna on Stroud Green Road next week, so nice and so so cheap.

Any more anyone...?

luka

did i say thai garden on globe rd bethnal green? thats the best thai i've ever had. weirdly thai food in sydney is the wrst i've ever had. weird cos there's 5000 times more thai people/thai restauraunts here.
theres a very enjoybale thai place on leytonstone high road too, but thats probably too far east for feeble dissensus users.
also drummond street for indian.... or green street if you're a local and you know which are the good ones. definietly go ambala for potato wadas though....

crackerjack

Do you mean that little place in a railroad arch?

No, it's on the northern part of Globe Rd, near the Florist pub and some italian restaurant i forget the name of. Must say I prefer the Thai Vista (just round the corner on Roman Rd) myself, partly cos they do meat, but mostly, so everyone else says, cos I haven't got a clue. But their tom yang kung is spicier, which is the clincher for me.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

Ah well reminded haven't been there yet, let us know how you get on! It sounds great.

There's a great Szechuan in Kilburn called Angeles which is similar and fantastic and a northern Chinese place down in Surrey Quays which also does meat squewers...The menu is all in Chinese so you just have to give yourself to the whims of the people who run it, it's fantastic.

viktorvaughn

Ah well reminded haven't been there yet, let us know how you get on! It sounds great.

There's a great Szechuan in Kilburn called Angeles which is similar and fantastic and a northern Chinese place down in Surrey Quays which also does meat squewers...The menu is all in Chinese so you just have to give yourself to the whims of the people who run it, it's fantastic.

Yeah I really fancy to just dive in and order a load of stuff blind or target some of the weird tripe and innards dishes, I'm in a mood for some dirty meat!

I was taken to a Szechuan hotpot place in Shanghai - the table was built around two pots of broth, one fiery oil, the other meaty and mild, with a selection of thinly sliced meats to dip/cook in each. There was also something like a cake-icing tool for dispensing long cords of fishy goo into the broth. All delicious and addictive. I recall having birds nest and frogspawn ice cream at another place nearby afterwards. Szechuan heat is very different to chilli, aromatic fire I suppose, and every now and then I get a taste flashback to that meal, as if it subtly rewired my brain.

elgato

I just dont know
Any more anyone...?

Fassika (im almost certain thats the right one, there are two near each other and im not 100% about the name) on Seven Sisters Rd is the best Ethiopian food I've had by a considerable margin, and thus possibly the best food I've had full stop!

very cheap also (for vegetarian it worked out around 6-7pound a head)

really nice vibes, warm and welcoming, they have Ethiopian jazz on weekly too i believe

if in doubt its the one with short stairs leading up to the main floor (about head height at street level), and stairs going down to the basement where the toilets are

Last edited:

crackerjack

Hate to be a downer, but Tayyabs...was rather mediocre.

A Tayyabs dissenter? there's a rarity. Still haven't been there - went lsat week and the queue looked like being an hour long (10mins we were told on the phone when they refused to take a reservation), so we went to Lahore instead. Excellent, if you don't mind the school canteen ambience. But didn't rate teh lamb chops.

luka

lahores real good if youre talking about the right lahore. i like the way they're always in a rush to get you out the door again.
ronaks in forest gate was always an extremely good indian. might have gone downhill. you might be put off by the nutters walking in off romford road and the alcoholic uncle that comes in and out behaving strangely.