Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 747

Thread: Where should I eat in London?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
    i def would not call that Thai spot "great", i would say dead average is more like it, at least by nyc standards... tho, i did appriciate the decent beer selection...
    Well I've always enjoyed the food there, though I liked the traditional decor better in the old place, before they moved round the corner.

    I've had Thai food in America (Chicago), it was quite different from what I've had in the UK but still nice.
    Once I had what amounted to strips of rare roast beef on a mound of mashed potato, not very Thai I thought, but still tasty.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Kastoori didn't rock my world like i had hoped. Had the taste bombs - a bit too wierdly lemony or something. And had the set meal thing with like three currys rice and chipatties which was cool but not amazing.... i think........ i wasn't very hungry that eve so who knows. sorry to be a downer.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    THE YABBA
    Posts
    5,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jahtao View Post
    Kastoori didn't rock my world like i had hoped. Had the taste bombs - a bit too wierdly lemony or something. And had the set meal thing with like three currys rice and chipatties which was cool but not amazing.... i think........ i wasn't very hungry that eve so who knows. sorry to be a downer.
    *marches jahtao back to Kastoori and rubs nose in tomato curry*

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
    i def would not call that Thai spot "great", i would say dead average is more like it, at least by nyc standards... tho, i did appriciate the decent beer selection...
    Just seen this - I think Yum Yum's has fallen off a bit since it moved round the corner onto the High Street. Food is not quite as good (tho still nice) but the decor is seriously poshed up and I think you are paying for that. It's nice for special occasions I guess...

    For my money I would plump for the Thai Cafe on Northwold Road - two minutes away. Cheap and cheerful.

    Aw - shame we couldn't meet up, Melchior!
    Last edited by john eden; 29-06-2007 at 10:10 AM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    THE YABBA
    Posts
    5,628

    Default

    I'd also put in a mention for Angeles on Kilburn High Road, it's proper, real Szechuan food, it has two entrances, one is a cheap n cheerful normal Cantonese buffet, but the other side ( the right ) is a Szechuan restaurant, you have to ask for the Szechuan menu if you look western. The food is fucking out of this world and if you haven't been to China and want a taste of what people eat in some provinces, going there is a must. Order three dishes - two meat and one veg - or just ask them for recommendations. They'll warn you that it's really spicy. It is ))

  6. #36
    nomadologist Guest

    Default

    thai food in ny is one of the reasons i won't leave this city if it kills me

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    I'm slowly working my way through low/mid-price places...

    Anyone have any more?

    Tayyabs is unbelievable if you have not eaten there. The best curry house I have ever been to in the UK I think. The lamb chops are amazing.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immryr View Post
    isnt that just a joke off peep show
    "Four naan, Jeremy? That's INSANE."

    How about Somine, on Kingsland Road near Dalston stn? Brilliant main course, bread, pickles and pudding for 6. Must try Mangal Ocakbasi next time I'm that way - had a look last night but decided to go with what I know. Seems I was wrong.

    Adulis on Brixton Road for quality Eritrean (mentioned on another thread too, I think).

    Estrela in Vauxhall does cheap and cheerful Portuguese, as well as being one of the nicest cafes in the city.

    Rasa's always a good bet.

    Little Bay's 'opera' branch in Wandsworth is utterly fantastic...

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,050

    Default

    Hate to be a downer, but Tayyabs...was rather mediocre.

    OK, so it didn't help that we had absolute cunts sitting either side of us in the cramped restaurant, who seemed to think that raising their voices was a signal of sexual prowess. But, to be honest, the cuisine lived down to my worst fear about Indian restaurant food - using excess chili in order to disguise the fact that the food isn't actually that flavoursome. The lamb chops were fine, but, IMHO, nothing to rave about. Everything else was better than your bog-standard curry house, but (I know it's a different cuisine, but...) not in the same universe as somewhere like Rasa.

    Best curry I've ever had in the UK was from the van that used to operate at lunchtimes on Lower Marsh at Waterloo (for anyone who ever worked there). The two women who ran it took a shop on Lower Marsh for a while, but, when I last checked, it seemed to have closed up. A real tragedy, 'cos their curries (chili as optional extra rather than ubiquitous taste-obliterator) were legendary....

    Anyone know where they might be now?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    "Four naan, Jeremy? That's INSANE."

    How about Somine, on Kingsland Road near Dalston stn? Brilliant main course, bread, pickles and pudding for 6. Must try Mangal Ocakbasi next time I'm that way - had a look last night but decided to go with what I know. Seems I was wrong.

    Adulis on Brixton Road for quality Eritrean (mentioned on another thread too, I think).

    Estrela in Vauxhall does cheap and cheerful Portuguese, as well as being one of the nicest cafes in the city.

    Rasa's always a good bet.

    Little Bay's 'opera' branch in Wandsworth is utterly fantastic...
    I ate at the Mangal Ocakbasi 1 last night - phenomenal! I had the mixed grill with quails for 13 and it was this incredible pile of succulent char-grilled meat with a lovely fresh salad and pickles and decent bread. It was better than the Mangal Ocakbasi 2 which is on Kingsland Road proper and is the one that Gilbert and George eat in every night at 8pm. 1 is more of a proper grill joint where you order at the counter; 2 is more of a sit down restaurant, though the food is of course fairly similar. They also have a Mangal Pide place further up the road but I have not eaten there. Will check out Somine.

    Hmm, shame you didn't enjoy Tayyabs more! When I ate there is was tons better than the rubbish I have had a couple of times on Brick Lane which tasted like cheap microwave meals. I didn't find it overly-hot either, might have just struck lucky. Is Rasa the one on Church St?

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    2,662

    Default

    I got a good one:

    There is this mexican restaurant north off Oxford St. I forget the name of the street but it's one street over from Berner St in the direction of Tottenham Court Road.

    You'll find it, it's the only Mexican restaurant on the road.

    When you are there order the Street Tacos and come back here and thank me afterwards.



    EDIT: I'm almost postive the restaurant is on Newman St.
    Last edited by Sick Boy; 14-01-2008 at 01:23 AM.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by viktorvaughn View Post
    I ate at the Mangal Ocakbasi 1 last night - phenomenal! I had the mixed grill with quails for 13 and it was this incredible pile of succulent char-grilled meat with a lovely fresh salad and pickles and decent bread. It was better than the Mangal Ocakbasi 2 which is on Kingsland Road proper and is the one that Gilbert and George eat in every night at 8pm. 1 is more of a proper grill joint where you order at the counter; 2 is more of a sit down restaurant, though the food is of course fairly similar. They also have a Mangal Pide place further up the road but I have not eaten there. Will check out Somine.

    Hmm, shame you didn't enjoy Tayyabs more! When I ate there is was tons better than the rubbish I have had a couple of times on Brick Lane which tasted like cheap microwave meals. I didn't find it overly-hot either, might have just struck lucky. Is Rasa the one on Church St?
    Will definitely try Mangal Ocakbasi next time I'm in Dalston!

    Maybe I just got a bad night at Tayyabs, but I wasn't impressed. Yep, there's two Rasas on Church Street: one meat and one veg.

    I've got one more: Otonomiyake/Abeno on Museum Street in Bloomsbury. Wonderfuly authentic Japanese cabbage pancakes...

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Will definitely try Mangal Ocakbasi next time I'm in Dalston!

    Maybe I just got a bad night at Tayyabs, but I wasn't impressed. Yep, there's two Rasas on Church Street: one meat and one veg.

    I've got one more: Otonomiyake/Abeno on Museum Street in Bloomsbury. Wonderfuly authentic Japanese cabbage pancakes...
    My Japanese house-mates cooked me those things, they were amazing. Thanks for the tip.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    More tips please!

    Here's a few of mine.

    http://www.timeout.com/london/restau...ews/10533.html
    Al Parco is a wicked pizza place right next to Hampstead Heath.

    http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/restaur...urant-3775.php
    Assa is a wicked Korean near Centre Point - try the fired mackerel.

    http://www.thefishclub.com/
    This was well nice and we just all paid 15 as there was a big group and we got a mixture of things, all huge portions, though I think they were trying to shift the fish at the end of the day.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,324

    Default

    i like thai garden globe road bethnal green

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •