Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Where should I eat in London?

rasa in charlotte st (as was mentioned before) is great. i had a beetroot wedding curry when i was there, just divine.

for ethiopian i like lallibela in tufnell park, not exactly cheap but fantastic food

Quote Originally Posted by rockypoppy2 View Post
    rasa in charlotte st (as was mentioned before) is great. i had a beetroot wedding curry when i was there, just divine.

for ethiopian i like lallibela in tufnell park, not exactly cheap but fantastic food
    I have now eaten at both Lalibella and Queen of Sheba and they were both really nice. Ate for about 10 per head in Queen of Sheba and its a really nice chilled atmos, at end of Fortess Road near Kentish Town tube.

Off to Jai Krishna on Stroud Green Road next week, so nice and so so cheap.

Any more anyone...?

droid Guest

This is the best Thai food Ive ever had:

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/94.htm

Not cheap, but not too expensive for Michelin star food. Main course/starter/appetiser for about 30/35 sans drinks.

did i say thai garden on globe rd bethnal green? thats the best thai i've ever had. weirdly thai food in sydney is the wrst i've ever had. weird cos there's 5000 times more thai people/thai restauraunts here.
    theres a very enjoybale thai place on leytonstone high road too, but thats probably too far east for feeble dissensus users.
    also drummond street for indian.... or green street if you're a local and you know which are the good ones. definietly go ambala for potato wadas though....

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    did i say thai garden on globe rd bethnal green?
    Do you mean that little place in a railroad arch?

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Body No Problem View Post
    Do you mean that little place in a railroad arch?
    No, it's on the northern part of Globe Rd, near the Florist pub and some italian restaurant i forget the name of. Must say I prefer the Thai Vista (just round the corner on Roman Rd) myself, partly cos they do meat, but mostly, so everyone else says, cos I haven't got a clue. But their tom yang kung is spicier, which is the clincher for me.

Anyone eaten at Gourmet San? Might go tomozza.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...s.foodanddrink

Quote Originally Posted by viktorvaughn View Post
    Anyone eaten at Gourmet San? Might go tomozza.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...s.foodanddrink
    Ah well reminded haven't been there yet, let us know how you get on! It sounds great.

There's a great Szechuan in Kilburn called Angeles which is similar and fantastic and a northern Chinese place down in Surrey Quays which also does meat squewers...The menu is all in Chinese so you just have to give yourself to the whims of the people who run it, it's fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Ah well reminded haven't been there yet, let us know how you get on! It sounds great.

There's a great Szechuan in Kilburn called Angeles which is similar and fantastic and a northern Chinese place down in Surrey Quays which also does meat squewers...The menu is all in Chinese so you just have to give yourself to the whims of the people who run it, it's fantastic.
    Yeah I really fancy to just dive in and order a load of stuff blind or target some of the weird tripe and innards dishes, I'm in a mood for some dirty meat!

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    I was taken to a Szechuan hotpot place in Shanghai - the table was built around two pots of broth, one fiery oil, the other meaty and mild, with a selection of thinly sliced meats to dip/cook in each. There was also something like a cake-icing tool for dispensing long cords of fishy goo into the broth. All delicious and addictive. I recall having birds nest and frogspawn ice cream at another place nearby afterwards. Szechuan heat is very different to chilli, aromatic fire I suppose, and every now and then I get a taste flashback to that meal, as if it subtly rewired my brain.

Havent been in a few years, but Bistro Aix in Crouch End used to be badman!

Quote Originally Posted by viktorvaughn View Post
    Any more anyone...?
    Fassika (im almost certain thats the right one, there are two near each other and im not 100% about the name) on Seven Sisters Rd is the best Ethiopian food I've had by a considerable margin, and thus possibly the best food I've had full stop!

very cheap also (for vegetarian it worked out around 6-7pound a head)

really nice vibes, warm and welcoming, they have Ethiopian jazz on weekly too i believe

if in doubt its the one with short stairs leading up to the main floor (about head height at street level), and stairs going down to the basement where the toilets are
    Last edited by elgato; 17-10-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Hate to be a downer, but Tayyabs...was rather mediocre.

A Tayyabs dissenter? there's a rarity. Still haven't been there - went lsat week and the queue looked like being an hour long (10mins we were told on the phone when they refused to take a reservation), so we went to Lahore instead. Excellent, if you don't mind the school canteen ambience. But didn't rate teh lamb chops.

lahores real good if youre talking about the right lahore. i like the way they're always in a rush to get you out the door again.
    ronaks in forest gate was always an extremely good indian. might have gone downhill. you might be put off by the nutters walking in off romford road and the alcoholic uncle that comes in and out behaving strangely.