Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread: Where should I eat in London?

i really really hate travelling so havent been to many places
    but auckland, sydney, melbourne, osaka, tokyo, all thousands of times better
    assuming new york and la and vancouver are thousands of times better.

I was in LA fairly recently - the vegan food shits on anything over here, but the rest isn't so hot IMO. Had the worst Japanese food of my life there - didn't think it was possible for it to be that bad (had good Japanese too, of course). I thought the Mexican food was mediocre, and we made a point of checking out all the trendiest taco trucks. Last time I went to NYC, was approx equal to London in terms of good food and bad food, but that was forever ago.

Osaka better yes, lived there for a while - still possible to get poor food, but rare. No idea about Australia, as I probably will never go there.

Only places I've ever had consistently good food, and where eating out has been a consistent pleasure, were Japan, Budapest and the countries of the former USSR. SE Asia v decent too, but I don't have much experience.

So I think London is kinda average for European/American cities, albeit with terrible gaps (eg Thai food, as you mentioned upthread). Eating out <<<<<<< home-cooked food, most places in the world. But posh kids have still ruined the experience by making it more pretentious and more expensive for average food.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 31-07-2018 at 10:42 PM.

i dont think theres such a thing as good mexican food. everyone i know whos been to mexico itself says the same thing. its even worse there than it is in england.

ive mentioned it on here before i think but the fact you cant get decent bread in london is just surreal.

ive heard good things about italy greece and turkey. heard terrible things about everywhere in south america.

Food in the Yucatan is good (region not the pub, much as I like the pub, food is not its strong suit), and fish tacos can be blissful, but yes, Mexican food does lend itself to very bad, stodgy interpretations. Some of the stuff I had in LA I wouldn't give to an enemy.

The bread debacle, I agree with - surreal is the word. I remember (vaguely) having decent bread somewhere in the UK recently, but it happens rarely.

I thought Italy was overrated til I had really good experiences in Rome. Just stick to pasta, pizza and rice. I love Greek and Turkish food, but lots of in-country bad versions as well as the good stuff. I did eat well in Istanbul tho.