Where should I eat in London?

droid

You really missed out. Michelin star and all. Maybe the best meal Ive ever had in London. Certainly the best thai I ever had - plus they had an affordable early bird.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
David Thompson ran that place; his cookbooks are really brilliant if insanely time consuming but they produce the real deal Thai results.

luka

Silk Road in camberwell is the worst chinese restaurant I've been to in my life. Lifeless, soggy pap with no discernable flavour.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I remember you hated Chili Cool too. I went back there recently for the first time in a couple of years, and they've definitely 'dumbed down' the food since it's become more popular. The dishes I always order there used to be a lot more spicy/complex. Disappointing. Maybe the same's happened at Silk Road, cos it used to be good

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Chinese restaurants in London are a disaster

I had some good dim sum yeeaars ago in a fancy place in Soho that had tropical fish in tanks set into the walls. It was cool in a kind of simultaneously futuristic and 1980s sort of way. You could imagine Patrick Bateman eating there.

Weirdly enough, my now girlfriend was there too, but we were in a biggish group of only tangentially overlapping friends and didn't actually meet properly till years later.

I agree that Chinese food there for the most part tends towards the generic and greasy (isn't that true most places in the UK? are there great Chinese spots outside London? Actually Oxford's Opium Den is quite good). When I'm in town I usually head to the Kingsland Road Vietnamese places if I want something east-Asian.

Last edited:

luka

theres a few i want to give a chance still. sichuan folk, a place in kings cross i cant remember the name of, a couple of places in chinatown, the place in canary wharf... shanghai blues has recently closed which is a shame cos that was a good resturaunt.

droid

Ive been to two amazing Chineses in London. That fancy place on Berwick St (which I think tea is talking about) that had amazing food, incredible spherical desserts and the most expensive and delicious tea Ive ever tasted, and their sister restaurant about a mile or so away, down a dark alley. I went there with Mrs Droid & John Eden after our wedding when we stopped in London on the way to Jamaica. Absolutely outstanding food, and you could tell it was really fancy as the lighting was so low they had people standing beside the toilets to tell you which one to go in as it was too dark to see the signs.

droid

lol. It is REALLY fancy, and expensive. John Eden's freakish appearance had us turned away from Hakkasan - it was only Mrs Droid playing the honeymoon card that got us in.