Where should I eat in London?

Lichen

Ahh but everyone knows the best Italian food is to be had from un-posh places that have harsh fluorescent lighting rather than dribbly candles in chianti bottles.

Or so I read here. Probably in this thread. And probably nearly a decade ago.

I wrote that. I stand by it.
Quality of lighting is in inverse proportion to quality of food.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Au contraire. That's just an extreme expression of mood lighting.

Special completely black 'darkbulbs' that cost thousands of euro a pop. I bet you could market those to someone sufficiently rich and stupid.

Last edited:

Lichen

Special completely black 'darkbulbs' that cost thousands of euro a pop. I bet you could market those to someone sufficiently rich and stupid.

"Blacklight is essential for the body to balance energy flow properly - and most of just aren't getting enough of it."

luka

Lots of new Chinese restaurants in London, especially hotpot places, seemingly aimed more at Chinese tourists and students than any one else. Also Korean and Japanese. The standards are much higher than they were 5, 6 years ago. A positive development. Went to a korean place, Zipbab, on Red Lion street with no customers yesterday. Really liked it.

The other thing I really love is chickpea, Lebanese canteen round Deptford/New Cross, just east of New Cross station. Don't think anyone in there's Lebanese, not that that matters.

comelately

Wild Horses
Did you go?

I saw Ichibanya in Central Bangkok for....significantly less money. I actually ate at Hinoya, which had just opened its first branch in BKK.....and I don't really get it. My dish had tartare sauce on it, but that was unpiquant even by British Chippy Standards. I get that Japanese Curry is supposed to be bland, but fuck it I'm not feeling it.

luka

I think average wages and rents etc are significantly lower in Bangkok too so not entirely surprising. I didn't go no and I agree it's not a sophisticated dish I just want to have it with cheese do its a bit like chips cheese and curry sauce. That kind of sweet fatty thing.

comelately

Wild Horses
I think average wages and rents etc are significantly lower in Bangkok too so not entirely surprising.

Yeah kinda, but this was at Central World Mall and the price discrepancies aren't always quite what you'd think for non-Thai food. Mostly I ate Thai style curry from street guys or the cheaper food courts.

I didn't go no and I agree it's not a sophisticated dish I just want to have it with cheese do its a bit like chips cheese and curry sauce. That kind of sweet fatty thing.

Yeah fair enough, I do just kinda feel that Japanese curry can be largely replicated by buying a katsu sauce from the supermarket and a trip to the chicken shop. Obviously it makes sense that we've taken to Katsu, but generally Brits have better access to cooking facilities than students in Asia and can knock their own simple grub together. Admittedly we've largely forsaken deep fat fryers thanks to public safety announcements during the 1980s, but most of those dishes can be replicated with relative ease.

Last edited:

luka

Cheese and omelette and some deep fried thing with a sweet curried gloop poured on top. There's times when that is a very appealing idea to me.

luka

Did you go?

I saw Ichibanya in Central Bangkok for....significantly less money. I actually ate at Hinoya, which had just opened its first branch in BKK.....and I don't really get it. My dish had tartare sauce on it, but that was unpiquant even by British Chippy Standards. I get that Japanese Curry is supposed to be bland, but fuck it I'm not feeling it.

Im in here now. It's exactly what I expected. Exactly what I needed. Really good hangover food. Healing.
Will definitely come again.

luka

Lin's resturaunt on Southwark rd near Tate modern is great. Really like it. Me and woops went after work yesterday. Chinese.

version

I have no clue what a tsing tsao is and now I'm reading about a WW1 siege.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Tsingtao

The Siege of Tsingtao, sometimes Siege of Tsingtau, was the attack on the German port of Tsingtao (now Qingdao) in China during World War I by Japan and the United Kingdom. The siege took place between 31 October and 7 November 1914 against Imperial Germany. The siege was the first encounter between Japanese and German forces, the first Anglo-Japanese operation of the war, and the only major land battle in the Asian and Pacific theatre during World War I.[4]

kevinoak

When we were planning a visit to London and would have preferred to stay where we could find good restaurants within walking distance. On a travel forum we were recommended to use Food Near Me apps that really work fine

Last edited: