Where should I eat in London?

I've had stuff from Pitt Cue truck which was pretty gorgeous but I think turning up to their place will involve a long wait which could be annoying.

Dukes in Haggerston is nice and you can book - also it's a big beer place with few dozen options, towards the American craft beer side. Beavertown is their sister brewery, now based in Hackney Wick but previously downstairs from Duke's, their 8 ball rye IPA is lovely!

I've read very mixed reviews of Red Dog.

Went to Meat Market in Covent Garden a couple of weeks ago and had one of their Dead Hippy burgers, which was very good, but it was their chilli fries that were superb.

Pitt Cue is worth a visit - if there's a queue (there wasn't when I went on a Saturday night this time last year) the White Horse pub is just opposite.

viktorvaughn

A nice week time lunch if you work round Shoreditch can be had at The Three Crowns, the new pub just of City Rd north of the roundabout. It's not cheap (2 course for 15, 3 for 18) but I've been twice and it's not messing around - whole lemon sole or amazing whole mackerel vigorously grilled with nice fried potatoes and stuff like smoked trout salad, or cold roast pork with celeriac remoulade for starters. Generous portions of meat and fish. Deffo recommend for a treat.

http://the3crowns.co.uk

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
always do these at home for our version of fish and chips, as my wife doesn't do deep frying at home. pretty easy to roast them, although sometimes they can turn out soggy from too much oil (but you need some oil on the roasting tray so they don't stick).

i'm suddenly hungry.

yeah have to use a shallow metal tray and spread them out

Paprika and chili powder also essential.

comelately

Wild Horses
I got family staying the night in a hotel near London Airport on Monday Night - any idea where to take them for some decent food. Rather not take them too far, and preferably not any further east - I guess this means Canning Town, as I doubt Canary Wharf has anything. Any tips appreciated.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I got family staying the night in a hotel near London Airport on Monday Night - any idea where to take them for some decent food. Rather not take them too far, and preferably not any further east - I guess this means Canning Town, as I doubt Canary Wharf has anything. Any tips appreciated.

Funny enough, Canary Wharf has one of the best Cantonese restaurants in London, the Royal China
http://clients.iciclesolutions.com.hk/royal_china/canary_wharf.html
It's pricier than your usual, but definitely worth it. If they're doing dim sum, it's the best in London. Also order the char siu.

Down the road at the Xcel is Caribbean Scene
http://www.caribbeanscene.co.uk/royale/contact-us/

Jamaican restaurant where the food is reaaaaaally good. Reaaaaaaally good.

They can be a bit....weird if not downright rude on the door though so be prepared for that and it wont piss you off.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Had a quick look at the menu for the Royal China - looks good and quite reasonable.

I went to Yipin China on Liverpool Road, Islington last weekend. Hunanese/Sichuan place. It looked really good, but very disappointing, wouldn't recommend (the pork with green peppers was fairly good tho, to be fair). Does anyone know if Ba Shan in Soho is any good?

Last edited:

mistersloane

Had a quick look at the menu for the Royal China - looks good and quite reasonable.

I went to Yipin China on Liverpool Road, Islington last weekend. Hunanese/Sichuan place. It looked really good, but very disappointing, wouldn't recommend (the pork with green peppers was fairly good tho, to be fair). Does anyone know if Ba Shan in Soho is any good?

Ba Shan is reliably good - it's not, erm, lifechanging but it's very high standard. It's the one we take people who havent had mainland food before to, as it's clean and not too scary. Ba Shu used to be good apparently but the chef left to open his place (his one is the one just off Brick Lane, forget the name, which is kinda a bit high food for me). Ba Shan definitely worth a pop though, once at least. My favourite round there is New China on Gerrard Street which is FEROCIOUS in its heat, the dan dan noodles will make you cry.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
hmm, I'm not very good with that level of heat... :slanted:

May give Ba Shan a go - still looking for an affordable Sichuanese or Hunanese restaurant (well, more any that isn't straight up Cantonese) in London that can match Chili Cool

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Any recommendations for lunch on Sunday near Kings Cross / the British Museum? Preferably fairly cheap, straightforward and informal (ie probably pub or cafe), disabled access would be good.

Cheers!

mistersloane

The Norfolk Arms is good for tapas, it can be busy though. It has private dining but that is upstairs which won't be disabled access :

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Resta...8038-Reviews-Norfolk_Arms-London_England.html

and opposite that, you've got seriously good Chinese in Chilli Cool, and wicked but very expensive fish and chips at the North Sea (silly expensive to eat in, reasonable if you take away and sit in Bloomsbury Square or wherever. Get the mushy peas. I hate mushy peas but their ones are magic.)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Getting back to Chilli Cool is on my to do list every time I'm down in London, and despite it being really convenient for Kings Cross, it keeps not happening. Next time...

We went to the Holborn Whippet in the end, which was pretty decent.

benjybars

village elder.
anyone had any good lunch time set price deals recently?

taking my wife out for our first meal since arrival of first baby 8 weeks ago. any suggestions most welcome.

luka

congratualations benjy did you marry thaat glamourous academic? has anyone beento the roti place in euston?

benjybars

village elder.
cheers! yeah that's the one Luka. 'glamourous academic' .. she'll like that!

back to the more important topic: lunch.

could go to Trullo again I suppose. would prefer to try somewhere new tho.