Where should I eat in London?

luka

tried to go yesterday and there were no tables available. so book if you want to try it. will try again next week.

you

a very very good burger would be nice

other wise looks like I can't go wrong with hk diner....

IdleRich

IdleRich
I went to a really good Vietnamese at the bottom of Kingsland Road the other day - I had frog legs in batter, shredded beef salad and a goat and galangel curry. That last was amazing. In fact, I think I'm going to go there again now and have it again. See ya!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Come on Rich, that's about as specific as "I had a curry on Brick Lane". Can you remember what it was called?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've got the card right here - it's called Mien Tay (or maybe Mien Jay) - there's one on Lavender Hill in Battersea as well apparently. Today I had frogs legs with galangel followed by goat with galangel. Arguably too much galangel. My friend had a soup with something called beef ball in it. He should have had something with galangel to be honest.

Leo

these last few posts are making me wish you guys were into the whole instagram-yr-dinner thing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've got the card right here - it's called Mien Tay (or maybe Mien Jay) - there's one on Lavender Hill in Battersea as well apparently. Today I had frogs legs with galangel followed by goat with galangel. Arguably too much galangel. My friend had a soup with something called beef ball in it. He should have had something with galangel to be honest.

Yeah, I just made tom kha gai (or some approximation to it) with galangal. Usually use ginger for this sort of thing but you can really taste the difference when you use galangal. Cursing myself for forgetting the kaffir lime leaves but there's kaffir lime zest in the red curry paste I used, apparently. I'll buy some lime leaves for the next time I make it.

Cooked and ate with petergunn's mix playing in the background, which is Vietnamese music rather than Thai but hey, whatever.

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, it's galangal. So it's a relative of ginger that looks like ginger and tastes nothing like it? I like it anyway.

luka

im making a new rule meaning no food buisness can have more than 3 branches. londons been eaten by shitty chains.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OK, it's galangal. So it's a relative of ginger that looks like ginger and tastes nothing like it? I like it anyway.

Oh well it's gonna be an approximation to the pronunciation of a word from a non-European language that's probably pronounced 50 different ways depending on whereabouts you are in SE Asia, so who cares? It's like English-speaking people who make a point of being right-on by spelling 'Kolkotta' instead of 'Calcutta', as if there's any such thing as a uniquely 'correct' spelling of an Indian place-name in the Latin alphabet.

Sorry, not having a go at you. Anyway, yeah I can see there's some similarity to the taste of ginger but it's definitely distinct and really worth getting hold of if you want to make that kind of food.

Last edited:

I went to the Lavender Hill one before Christmas. There were about 8 of us so but despite the large menu we ended up having at least 3 of the goat galangal curries and a load of those frogs legs too.

I remember trying to get high on galangal at university, which wasn't a total disappointment. It takes a lot and appeared to have the power to remove the non-stick layer from a pan, which is good going for a root juice.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm gonna regret this but how on earth does one get high on galangal?
Ollie, that's the thing, to me it doesn't taste anything like ginger but apparently it is related. I've got to stop talking about it or I'll need to pop down for another goat in a minute...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've read of people getting high on garlic by eating several raw bulbs. High in more ways than one, I suppose. Perfect for that solo trip.

Nutmeg also works, apparently. I think when you're trying to get high on the contents of your kitchen cupboard it's time you had a serious look at where your life is going.

(That said: HMG, was it any good?)