Running

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You're typing too well to be drunk.
I see what you're saying, there are obviously limits to how much exercise in one go is good for you. I think dancing for thirty hours would be just as harmful if you hadn't taken any drugs, but no-one's going to do that because you wouldn't have any of the fun buzz blocking out the agonizing pain and exhaustion. It'd be like running a marathon without adequate preparation.
On balance I reckon it's probably good for you as long as you don't put your heart under *too* much strain (obviously it depends on how fit you are generally - Liam could probably dance for about three days straight before noticing he was a bit puffed out) and gice your liver/brain cells etc. time to recover in between.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i think the danger from uppers comes from over stretching the heart - ie you're doing too much exercise. That's where heart problems from cocaine come from anyhow i believe, i'm not sure about pills.

Could be - I find coke (in my limited experience) makes my heart race when I'm just standing around, I'm fairly sure pills don't do that unless I'm dancing hard enough that I'd be working up a sweat anyway. Also people who get really into coke - what with it being addictive and all - can end up taking every night, and even during the day, whereas even the most hardcore rave-bunny is unlikely to be taking pills during the week.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
coke is really really bad for fucking up your heart, it really does speed it up a great deal and it tends to give you bad palpitations.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
Good shoes make all the difference. There is a shop in Temple called Run and Become - they make you run up and down the street outside and observe how you run, which part of your foot you land on etc. and prescribe the best running shoes for the job. It sounds a bit much but it works. They have a good selection and aren't too expensive. I bought a pair of shoes from them nearly 3 years ago which are still holding up.

http://www.runandbecome.com/

turtles

in the sea
Run slow. It took me ages to realize that you don't have to be completely panting and dead tired at the end of a run to get a good benefit out of it. It's much easier on the body, you're not tired and sore for the rest of the day, and your fitness still improves. I think it's some stupid macho guy thing that says your only allowed to run fast and hard...it took me until i started running with a couple woment to realize the benefits or a more regular pace (besides running with fit ladies :D ) (and yes read into this all you like...:D:D).

Also, finding a good running route is key. If it all possible try and stay away from roads and traffic and find yourself some nice parks/woods/riverside/seaside place to run...far more calming.

nomos

Administrator
I've never really liked running for its own sake, but I was in Vancouver for a couple of days last summer, staying on English Bay, and thinking that I could really get into it if I had a place like that to do it.

English_Bay5.JPG

Woebot

I've never really liked running for its own sake, but I was in Vancouver for a couple of days last summer, staying on English Bay, and thinking that I could really get into it if I had a place like that to do it.

English_Bay5.JPG

vancouver is supposed to be wicked. i got offered a job there the other day (nothing happened though i said i was potentially up for it)

turtles

in the sea
Yes! Vancouver is spoiled for beautiful places to run. The seawall along english bay & stanley park is great...but also running along kits beach->jerricho->spanish banks, or up in pacific spirit park by ubc, or along the fraser river... and that's just van city proper, not even getting into the north shore or other nearby places :) . It's a very fit city, really. London may beat us in a lot of other departments (like, say, the music scene) but vancouver's hard to beat when it comes to outdoor activities (alright, i'll stop with the civic pride now...).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haha, talking of the Vancouver music scene, I was just listening today to a Skinny Puppy CD my girlfriend copied for me, might have to dig out some old Frontline Assembly records in a minute...

On the point of short/hard vs. long/gentle exercise, I think the general rule is that intense exercise is best if you want to get 'buff', while lots of low-intensity exercise is the thing if you want to lose fat and improve general cardiovascular fitness. Er, probably. I'm probably not the person to ask, being neither fit nor buff (but at least not fat either, more by luck than judgement).

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Does no one bike for exercise? I have the same inertia with getting bored. I used to run 2 10ks a week to get into shape for "football", but once i stopped playing, i stopped running. i would try to pick it up for health and stamina, but always found it boring and tedious.

i now bike 8 miles a day to and from work, all year round. i love biking, and that combined with a hatred for both driving and the public transporation around here, keeps me fitter than i have been since i graduated high school 11 years ago.

in the end, it all comes down to enjoying the process, not just the result. for me, at least.

jenks

thread death
I love my bike - i'm doing about 80 - 100 miles a weekend at the moment in preparation for a summer of big rides - the biggest being a ride from Southend to Paris to celebrate teh end of the Tour.

If i had to choose, it would be the bike every time, you get to go further and quite frankly it is not as knackering - much better for your knees and you get the chance to get into a whole other level of kit. Lance was wrong, it's all about the bike - i'm waiting on delivery of a carbon frame as i write.

Also i think the people who write about cycling generally seem to produce better books

Woebot

also, you should be aware that minimal techno is probably the perfect running soundtrack!;)

i've kept doing this, 4 days a week at the moment. hopefully five quite soon.

i took my iPod out for the first time yesterday and really felt like a *real* runner.

and guess what i was immediately drawn to listen to? villalobos! ha. so you're right si. i reckon some of the appeal, beyond its machinic/metronomic factor, must be the ability to hear the outside sound. you don't entirely block out the background with it.

still running the same route. i quite like the repetivness of doing this.

nomos

Administrator
i'd imagine villalobos' 'fizheuer zieheuer' would be great for this - marching marching not quite there marching going to be triumphant when we get there... marching. perfect for the way running forces one to appreciate the process rather than the destination.

leamas

Check out this guy: Sri Chimnoy. He's a 2x world champion runner and general all round guru. You've got to love his chat about the 'inner run'. Whether you take it seriously or not he has some very useful things to say about how to run well.

"Running is a physical subject, a mental subject, a philosophical subject and a subject of the Beyond."

S

simon silverdollar

and guess what i was immediately drawn to listen to? villalobos! ha. so you're right si. i reckon some of the appeal, beyond its machinic/metronomic factor, must be the ability to hear the outside sound. you don't entirely block out the background with it.

yeah it's the way it provides some kind of structure- the metronomic rhythm etc- while also being 'ambient' in some way- it fits into the surrounding outside sound, rather than blanketing it.

although recently i've been quite enjoying listening to hip hop on runs- particularly lil wayne. it's nice to have someone chatting away to you on headphones while you're running. you become involved in the story and forget about the pain.

U-Basstard

tragic mix
coming from an ex-county champion cross country runner:eek: try maurizio m-series, always worked for me. i'm a lanky basstard and it seemed to perfectly suit my stride.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
and even though it's designed for cycling, seems to me that Kraftwerk's Tour De France Soundtracks would be perfect for running, especially if you can sync your breathing with that heard in the tracks...

anybody give that LCD Soundsystem/Nike thing a shot?...James Murphy doesn't exactly strike me as somebody attuned to the mindset of the long distance runner, but who knows?

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i just started running every other day as of 9/6/09. i started out running 2K but as of last night i've just about doubled that!

i haven't run since high school (as punishment) and i've never run two miles until now

i like it a lot. rather surprised at that. murakami's running memoir got me thinking about it. and a great deal on japanese New Balance sneakers gave me impetus!

:cool: