Running

Woebot

I've started running in the morning.

What ought I to be aware of?

Someone has told me I ought to get a proper pair of sneakers (for once i was delighted NOT to have to get all the right kit, sighs)

I don't go very far.....

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Yeah - good trainers. Running on hard surfaces without the right cushioning can cause minor splinters in yer leg bones. Very painful.

dHarry

I'd recommend MBTs - expensive, but engineered to minimize hard surface impact on joints and improve muscle use, gait and posture. Encourage your shoulders back, stomach in, head held straight etc (a bit like the army, or modelling school ;-) and really work the leg muscles. Excellent for both walking and running, and very hard-wearing and well-made.

jenks

thread death
Stretch before and after!

Get some decent shoes - not a big fan of white trainers but they are essential.

Vary your route so that you don't get too bored.

Make sure your top doesn't rub - bleeding nipples!

Walk/Run/Walk for the first couple of weeks.

You can find quite a few routes at:

http://www.walkjogrun.net/

Take a personal stereo

Enter an event six months hence to give you a reason to go out for a run.

Avoid breaking your knee by slipping on orange juice whilst at work (Ok, that was just me but I'm only just getting back to running now)

S

simon silverdollar

i love running. the major thing i'd say you should be aware of his the importance of warming up properly beforehand (e.g running at quite a slow pace for the first 10 minutes or so) and stretching properly afterwards. i didn't used to do this because i thought it looked wanky, but then found that i couldn't walk for about a week.

also, you should be aware that minimal techno is probably the perfect running soundtrack!;)

henry s

Street Fighting Man
good on yer, WOEBOT!...I started running in high school, and never stopped...that was (sigh) 26 years ago, so I guess you could say I'm into it...

advice above from Jenks and Silverdollar seconded...(I personally do not use music on my runs...the environment seems to provide it's own soundtrack)...

personal horror story: once while running pre-dawn, a very large insect flew into my mouth and lodged itself in my esophagus...I couldn't pass it one way or the other, and it was very uncomfortable, to say the least...I continued my run to the local hospital, where the emergency room doctors sucked it out with the thing the dentists use to get spit out of your mouth...turned out to be a horse fly!...one in a million chance, of course...(ER docs inflicted more pain with their damn prodding than the bug did)...

one thing I've learned: always give dogs as wide a berth as you can...they mostly don't like to be startled, and can be counted on to tell you so...

swears

preppy-kei
I run a couple of miles a night, it's definitely improved my mood and increased my energy levels.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I went for a tonking good run this evening - up onto Sydenham Hill, down through Crystal Palace park, back up through the sports centre grounds and over the old CP terrace, then back down the hill to Dulwich.

I used to get leg pains, but now I stretch loads before I go out and I don't get them any more. I alternate running with swimming too, which helps.

I never find running boring, but I'm dead lucky cos there's loads of parks near me. I can do a 4 mile run and only a half mile or so is on major roads. Swimming on the other hand is really dull, unless your very stressed or got a lot on your mind. Confined to the swimming pool this summer too, as Lambeth council have reduced Brockwell lido to a pile of rubble in thie infinite wisdom :(

bassnation

the abyss
i love running. the major thing i'd say you should be aware of his the importance of warming up properly beforehand (e.g running at quite a slow pace for the first 10 minutes or so) and stretching properly afterwards. i didn't used to do this because i thought it looked wanky, but then found that i couldn't walk for about a week.

also, you should be aware that minimal techno is probably the perfect running soundtrack!;)

i think techno is alright for that, but house music is a little too slow - plus with the pulse beat i can't help but go at that rhythm. my favourite work out music is jungle - 165 bpm i reckon is absolutely perfect for running especially if its really slamming. its not as much fun without tunes. also love brisk walks in very hilly parts of the country (some of the mountains in wales really test your stamina). does anyone know which is best for calorie burn and fitness? surely if your going up hill the slower you go, the more work your muscles have to do?

Last edited:

Woebot

WOW. ace advice.

simon- "minimal techno" lol ;)
actually i think i'm going to do it without music.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It gets really really boring after a while. then you will stop!
That's what I reckon, it's best to do something that you enjoy that gets you fit at the same time, then when you finish playing football/dancing/fucking you suddenly realise that you've done something healthy as well as fun. I think playing football keeps me (relatively) fit in a way that running could never do because I would never stick to something so dull. Of course you have to resist the temptation to go straight to the pub after footie or to spice up your dancing or whatever with anything unhealthy.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Of course you have to resist the temptation to go straight to the pub after footie or to spice up your dancing or whatever with anything unhealthy.
I've often wondered this: viz., to what extent does (reeeaaasonably responsible) drug use 'cancel out' the exercise benefit of dancing?

I figure it's probably still doing you some good as long as you get a decent amount of rest the next day, eat sensibly and so on - and as long as you aren't caning six pills every weekend (and eight beers and a packet of Marlboroughs while at the club)...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I've often wondered this: viz., to what extent does (reeeaaasonably responsible) drug use 'cancel out' the exercise benefit of dancing?"
I don't think it works like that. If you take twenty pills and dance for thirty hours you are surely working off a load of fat and exercising your muscles but your heart may take a (no pun intended) beating. The good and the bad don't neatly cancel out because they are not exact opposites.
Does that make sense or am I just drunk?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i think the danger from uppers comes from over stretching the heart - ie you're doing too much exercise. That's where heart problems from cocaine come from anyhow i believe, i'm not sure about pills.