Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86

Thread: downloading music

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1

    Question downloading music

    I am a music fan and usually get it from inet downloading from soulseek, where i can find almost everything. But once i failed to find music i was searchin and had to download from web site. So when 90% of 170mb had been downloaded the electricity went off and next day i had to start from the beginning.

    I know there are programms that continue downloads but dont know what they are and there to get them. May be you will advise me something??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,331

    Default

    I advise you not to use soulseek and to pay for your music so that the artists who made it can continue to do so.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polz View Post
    it just occured to me that buying second hand records doesn't benefit the artists either. so following your line of reasoning you shouldnt buy second hand records as well.
    Indeed. Having said that most of the 2nd hand records I buy are completely out of print, so there is not much chance of reimbursing the artist. Although (with the exception of promos) at least someone has at some point.

    Plus I am rather fond of record shops, so buying 2nd hand records from them ensures that they continue.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    I advise you not to use soulseek and to pay for your music so that the artists who made it can continue to do so.
    You are quite right,but retailers have to match the ease with which you can access stuff.
    Why wait for a retailer like [for example] UK Record shop to come through when you could have the music you want in an instant?


    http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polz View Post
    so do you think it is allowed to use soulseek/limewire for out of print records? (dont get me wrong, i buy a lot of original records, reimbursing the artist etc, paying silly amounts for postage as well)
    I think that's probably alright, yeah. I do use actually soulseek for the following:

    a) "public domain" stuff like recordings of soundclashes from the 80s
    b) material by people who I don't like or want to give money to - i.e. neo-nazis
    c) the odd track by people who have lots of cash already

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    You are quite right,but retailers have to match the ease with which you can access stuff.
    Why wait for a retailer like [for example] UK Record shop to come through when you could have the music you want in an instant?
    I don't think they HAVE to, but it would be nice. For example it isn't really on to go into Virgin and shoplift a load of CDs because the queues are too long. Tho I would have more respect for someone who did that than someone downloaded all their music from slsk.

    If nobody pays money for grime mixtapes then it seems very likely that there won't be any more. So instant gratification will be just that - short term. Delaying gratification often has benefits...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polz View Post
    so do you think it is allowed to use soulseek/limewire for out of print records? (dont get me wrong, i buy a lot of original records, reimbursing the artist etc, paying silly amounts for postage as well)

    You can sell what would appear to be bootleg DVDs of old movies/TV programs on Ebay.IF the footage is officially unavailable and you state that it is 'In the public domain'.I am not sure if the same would apply to sharing out of print music though.


    http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    I think that's probably alright, yeah. I do use actually soulseek for the following:

    material by people who I don't like or want to give money to - i.e. neo-nazis
    But why would you want what they have to offer?


    http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    But why would you want what they have to offer?
    I think it's important to keep an eye on them from time to time.

    A friend of mine is currently researching some work by a now relatively respectable musician who used to have links with the NF and it seems was involved with some bands which were released by nazi record labels. So soulseek was a good way of enabling my friend to hear the music in question and identify the vocalist.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kvarngärdet
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hisaishi View Post
    I know there are programms that continue downloads but dont know what they are and there to get them. May be you will advise me something??
    They are called download managers. I use GetRight, which is one of the more popular ones. Not all servers accept broken connections to be resumed, though, and downloads from MegaUpload, Rapidshare, and other free file-hosts must be carried out manually, so these programs’ utility is severely circumscribed in practice.

  11. #11

    Default

    freedownloadmanager.org - very good.

    Should I pitch into the filesharing debate? Probably not. It's a bit like arguing Palestine vs. Israel. Everyone has a strong opinion and normally a discussion (online) turns into an argument.

    I lived through the "home taping will kill the music industry" 70's, the "home videoing will kill the cinema" 80's, I dont remember much about the 90's but I appear to still be alive and living through the "downloading will kill the music industry" 00's.

    I rather suspect that the music industry will prosper long after I am gone...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blubeat View Post

    I rather suspect that the music industry will prosper long after I am gone...

    I'm sure you're right, but I am more concerned about the artists than the industry.

    It is indecent - downloading music by people like Prince Alla, for example, when he is living in a wooden shack.

    People I know have seriously considered giving up releasing music over the last few years...

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    People I know have seriously considered giving up releasing music over the last few years...
    This is what will do it if you ask me, for smaller artists earning a couple of hundred quid off an album that took two years to make...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Dust View Post
    This is what will do it if you ask me, for smaller artists earning a couple of hundred quid off an album that took two years to make...
    LEGAL downloading could in time be a possible solution to that.If an artist makes their work available to the pulic without incurring the costs of manufacture and distribution then releasing music becomes a more straightforward task.


    http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    LEGAL downloading could in time be a possible solution to that.If an artist makes their work available to the pulic without incurring the costs of manufacture and distribution then releasing music becomes a more straightforward task.
    Not really, distribution will still exists, download sites take 50% and distributor will take 20%, add studio time, time spent making the tracks, food, rent, mastering etc and that's a shit load of 30ps you need to make.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •