downloading music

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i bought so many CDs pre-file sharing (mostly as a teenager) for £11-16 - it was a ludicrous rip-off and the vast majority of that money went to record companies. Seeing artists live seems like a better way to remunerate them, although maybe I should check where the money does actually go. I'd happily buy more CDs if the majority of the money went direct to artists.

From the article: "Vic (Chesnutt) was deeply in debt to hospitals" that's because the United States is an appallingly inequitable country that doesn't have free medical care, not because of filesharing. ffs.

Leo

US ISPs apparently are ready to implement a six-strikes anti-piracy policy.

http://torrentfreak.com/att-starts-...y-plan-next-month-will-block-websites-121012/

i believe france has a three-strikes policy, any word on how that's working?

i still buy a lot but do DL when something is rare/out-of-print/otherwise unavailable. do you think ISPs will give me a break if i plead that the 10-year old moodymann 12" in questions was limited to just 500 copies worldwide and he never reissues on vinyl or cd?? :slanted:

luka

probably time to acknowledge that filesharing blogs became the djs of the era really in terms of shaping aesthetics and disseminating information. there's a whole generation of obsessive downloaders that have 1000s of times more music and music knowledge than the most hardcore of record collectors becasue of these blogs. record collections that cost 1000s of pounds and decades to assempble can be ecilpesed in a few months of downloading. i dont think the ethics of it turned out to be half as clearcut as john eden thought it was at the beginning of the thread in as much as an inflential blog can spark a reissue or concert opportunities. youtube is perhaps going to replace this. spotify certainly wont cos theres absolutely nothing on it and the curation is too basic.

luka

i remember when woebot done his phillips silver records post and i didnt know what the fuck it was hardly anyone had seen them. now every 15 year old with a slight interest in music has them all on a harddrive.

luka

Excuse me the ignorance, but what are "phillips silver records"? I'm intrigued now.

Thursday, September 04, 2003
Ingram surpasses himself. When I saw these iridescent silver covers I almost drooled onto the keyboard. Absolutely no idea there was a whole series of these things. I actually have a Prospective 21 siecle, not one in Matthew's list. It's Pierre Henry's Voile D'Orphee/Entite/Spirale. Possibly my favorite album sleeve, least ways that's what I told Julian House for his record cover book forthcoming, the only real rivals are DJ Trax's 1 Man 1 DJ EP for Moving Shadow and 2 Bad Mice's Hold It Down/Waremouse EP ditto. Matt tells me the Henry is worth around 250 dollars. That's roughly 160 times what I paid for it. Picked it up for 1 quid at a jumble sale, the school at the bottom of Warnborough Rd, Oxford, must have been '82, '83. Didn't really know who Pierre H was, just liked the cover. There was a fair bit avant-classical floating around those days, must have been 60s type clearing out their attics. Stuff you see now on the high on the wall (out of grab-and-run reach) at Other Music, going for sixty, seventy dollars. WHY. DIDN'T. I.BUY.MORE.OF.IT.WHEN.IT.WAS.GOING.CHEAP.THEN?!?!?! is the gritted-teeth question. I was on a grant or on the dole, is the answer.
Posted by SIMON REYNOLDS at 9:43 PM No comments: Links to this post

^^