Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
HH had a great comeback to a heckler once: "Ah, you heckle me now sir, but I know that when I get home, I've got a nice chicken in the oven". When you've got people like Jimmy Carr and Ricky Gervais devoting their lives to devising the ultimate put-down like it's some kind of arms race, it's funny just because it's so refreshingly harmless.

Actually, for the Does My Head In bit, I saw some of Gervais' 'Politics' show a while ago...Christ. He opened with a crack at Jim Davidson - an easy target, but fair play - and then spent the next ten minutes milking the inherent comedic potential of the word "spastic". :slanted:

you

The way the Guardian is sometimes 'feminist' to the point of out-and-out misandry.

The cover feature for last weekend's magazine is titled 'Holding the baby...and everything else', subtitled 'Why having children spells the end of equality', illustrated with the image of a put-upon-looking woman holding a baby in one arm and a mini-husband in the other. Because men are just big stupid useless babies who are helpless without a woman to look after them all the time, amirite girls????

Fuck off.

The Guardian seems pretty anti-male sometimes..... the endless softening of men with at home dads etc, the pro women nonsense about being a mother and doing it all etc etc..... I haven't really read any proper text about the subject but the demasculation of man in the uk is pretty crazy..... They had an article a while ago about how men have regressed into kids.....sort of explores geek culture etc... conclusion being we had nowt else to do.

slowtrain

The Guardian seems pretty anti-male sometimes..... the endless softening of men with at home dads etc, the pro women nonsense about being a mother and doing it all etc etc..... I haven't really read any proper text about the subject but the demasculation of man in the uk is pretty crazy..... They had an article a while ago about how men have regressed into kids.....sort of explores geek culture etc... conclusion being we had nowt else to do.

Not familiar with The Guardian so can't really comment on that exactly, but its been interesting hearing the research my mum (internet cringe!) has been doing into masculinity for her phd... Twentieth century masculine 'ideal' is very different to the post-renaissance one...

I.e, for Heathcliff to be seen as feminine, while Edgar Linton was the epitome of patriarchy.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Hmm, well I dunno about "pro women nonsense" exactly but what I think is possibly not so great - for women themselves, I mean - is this insistence that YOU TOO can have both kids and a high-powered professional career, because taken as a modern feminist article of faith this can very easily start to sound like YOU SHOULD have both, and you're a bit of a failure if you don't. Like, if you concentrate on climbing the career ladder at the expense of having kids at all, you're missing out on this huge important life-affirming thing and will feel jealous when all your friends start having families, and if you pack in your career or at least take a substantial break in order to have kids then you're 'selling out', bowing down to patriarchy, established gender roles etc. And if you try to have both, you risk ending up going nuts from the sheers strain of it all...

you

pro women nonsense is perhaps the wrong phrase...... uber-pro-power-wonderwoman is a better term for the guardian.... and yeah, Tea, it's a potentially damaging line to push on people. I don't understand this modern obsession with career anyway.

Unless you can find an extra 24 hours in each day you will never get 100% of both.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That too. But what's the alternative? Sometimes I feel guilty for never reading a newspaper, like it totally undermines my idea of myself as an "intelligent person", but they're all just so crap. I used to buy the Indy occasionally but stopped when it turned into "the antimatter Daily Mail", as I heard someone put it once.

I read the Standard when I find a copy on the tube. There's often some surprisingly good writing in it these days.

Well, lots of more leftist newspapers to read, I guess. I suppsoe I find most of my news off various websites these days - def do check the Guardian, but more for intnl news than domestic. I still find the Independent generally more human, although obv some thigns about it aren't ideal.

I'm worried about your mental health now.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I don't understand this modern obsession with career anyway.

Unless you can find an extra 24 hours in each day you will never get 100% of both.

I think it totally depends what you're doing as regards a career, and whether it is genuinely beneficial to people or just poison in the human well. The dissociation of work from politics that so many people seem to practise does my head in more than almost anything.

As you say, a career in itself is nothing to obsess about, just as 'ambition' without any focus is scary and mad.

you

Mark Fisher to thread.....

Well if you work in the private sector your going to be pretty fed up unless audis are your goal in life...... unless your working with a specific product/service your are passionate about, but few do.

If you work in the public sector doing a job you care about you would be chronically frustrated at the top down, market stalinism impeding the effectiveness of your job and your ability to help people.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
the guardian rocks

278891693.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"But now they are dead...

"...she can set up that lesbian anarchist hemp-knitting commune she always dreamed of."

Edit: ha, now UFO's picture has vanished I look like a total nutter. :)

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
bernard the moaning, calls-his-son-darling, mollusc of a human being in work, says the word dubai, 'DUBAIEEE'

do you see a fucking E on the end you fucking prick?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
was looking to see if there's any funky night still on at the Fridge Bar in Brixton (does my head in in itself - WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT ABOUT UPDATING A FUCKING WEBSITE?), and found this:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article704711.ece

read the whole article. that guy deserved to get his head kicked in, and too bad it was caught on CCTV. Of course the whole story's not there, but still.

I never liked that Ralph Daley guy.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Motherfucking SELF-SERVICE CHECKOUTS.

I mean, who thought these were a good idea? Other than the supermarket board members who thought "Hey, let's maximise shareholder return by firing most of our checkout operators!".

They are so. Shit. They nearly always fuck up and require someone to come over and sort things out for you. They don't do cashback. They make a fuss if you try to do something incredibly complicated and difficult like bring your own shopping bag or buy a bottle of wine. And the woman's voice does my fucking tits in.

But the worst of it is, supermarkets that no longer have any ordinary manned checkouts. In Ye Olden Dayes, long before I was born, you went into a shop and actually asked for the things you wanted - fancy that! Now you can do your whole shopping trip without interacting with another human being - except most of the time, when you have to call over the checkout goon (the human who is the slave of the machine*) to sort something out for you because the fucking thing's fucked up.

metropolis-clock-300x225.jpg

This is what William Gibson warned us about.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I was leaving a hardware store the other day and a woman was standing haplessly in front of one of those self-service check-out machines repeatedly wailing to no one in particular, "how do I do this? HOW DO I DO THIS?!"

It was like something out of Terry Gilliam's Brazil

bandshell

Grand High Witch
They now have self-service machines in my local library. Think I mentioned it in some thread about libraries. Bloody awful.

Every person has to go and get a member of staff to help them operate these unsightly, awkward, purple boxes.

Such a waste of time and money.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
The self-service boxes at the libraries at my Uni are actually pretty useful, but I don't really like them on principle because they could be hiring students to do that job.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
They now have self-service machines in my local library. Think I mentioned it in some thread about libraries. Bloody awful.

Every person has to go and get a member of staff to help them operate these unsightly, awkward, purple boxes.

Such a waste of time and money.

But it's TECHNOLOGY! And COMPUTERS! And INTERACTIVE! And therefore GOOD! What are you, some kind of romantic Luddite????