grizzleb

Getting into this debate a little late, but I just want to say I absolutely love Seinfeld. The 'moral void' is a huge element to the show, but it's central to the humour in the sense that these people are all infinitely self-destructive. The moment any of these characters let themselves be 'normal' and have some sort of empathy/decency they immediately return to type out of some horrible neurotic impulse. I don't know how anyone couldn't love George Costanza. One of my favourite comedy characters ever.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Similar thing... Who actually is Adele? I had never heard of before she was suddenly "most influential thing ever"

I think I heard her yesterday at the pub, and it was bloody awful. Produced by someone who doesn't like music, a la Ronson (though he does get credit for Back to Black, to be fair, for which he deicded he'd...like music for a bit?).

bandshell

Grand High Witch
My Grandma's doing a sponsored walk for breast cancer tomorrow. It's women only. I asked my mum why it's gender restricted. Why can't men support women with breast cancer? Surely they'd raise more without a gender restriction?

There's a men only walk for prostate cancer as well.

Seems pretty nonsensical to me. Obviously, most men don't have breasts and women don't have a prostate but I don't see why that should stop you supporting the cause.

I suppose this isn't pointless, but it does do my head in.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That is pretty silly. Surely they could make more money if they invited men too?

In any case, men can get breast cancer too. It's not terribly common I think, but it does happen.

grizzleb

Might be because a big crowd of middle aged women walking are pretty much only going to be walking for one reason...breast cancer.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
My Grandma's doing a sponsored walk for breast cancer tomorrow. It's women only. I asked my mum why it's gender restricted. Why can't men support women with breast cancer? Surely they'd raise more without a gender restriction?

Seems pretty nonsensical to me. Obviously, most men don't have breasts and women don't have a prostate but I don't see why that should stop you supporting the cause.

i worked for the prostate cancer charity for a short while. that did my head in, or maybe it was jsut the fact it was in Hammersmith, easily the worst place int he entire world apart from the Apollo and a couple of riverside pubs.

on related note, there was a whole debate about whether men were to be allowed on the Slutwalk (next weekend, i think)...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think men should be allowed on the Slut Walk, although if any of them get raped they'll only have themselves to blame.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Re. Clarke's plans to cut sentences for early guilty-pleaders:

Justice Secretary Ken Clarke's plan to offer 50% sentence cuts for early guilty pleas in England and Wales are set to be shelved, the BBC understands.

Political editor Nick Robinson said the controversial plans were "as good as scrapped" after a meeting between David Cameron and Mr Clarke on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13691943

I've always thought it deeply silly to give people jail-time 'discounts' for pleading guilty because what if you're innocent but have a seemingly watertight case made against you? Do you carry on denying it to the bitter end, landing yourself more jail time if your appeal is unsuccessful, or just give in and 'admit' it (thus severely hampering any future appeal) to save yourself a couple of years in chokey?

john eden

male pale and stale

Men can support it by sponsoring people? I did that recently. Was it "The Moonwalk"? That includes women walking at night, wearing bras they have modified/designed/altered themselves. If you got men doing it as well it might have a different vibe I guess.

Chris

fractured oscillations
people who develop strange grudges for no good reason, heap abuse on you, and refuse your repeated attempts to make peace or discuss what the issue even is, because apparently they're having too much fun stalking and abusing you (even if it goes on for years)

I just don't understand it. the internet breeds some really weird behavior, seems to give people an excuse to ignore basic human rights, or standards of decency and respect

:eek:

luka

you sent me an email accusing me of being the perpertrator once, which is odd cos you were the second person to accuse me of somthing like that. did you work out who it was?

Chris

fractured oscillations
yes. sorry, because I don't like making accusations, and really don't like having beef with anybody. but yeah, though I've been ignoring it for a while, turns out it's still been going on. so unnecessary and petty.

I won't get into it, but the internet can be really fucked up I guess. my usual policy has been not giving a fuck, but really, it's unacceptable

luka

it didnt offend me. it baffled me. why dont you hire a bounty hunter to hunt them down and kill them?

Chris

fractured oscillations
er, because I'm a nice guy, which is why I really barely respond to it at all. my attitude is that I'd probably like the person(s) if I knew them, and that differences are based on failures to communicate, probably over things we'd mostly agree on anyways. I'm not interested in getting anyone back - I don't really believe in it, or think that it helps anything. that's just ego