STN

sou'wester
one of the below:

The fact that googlemaps is so fucking shit it won't stay locked on a location as you zoom in. Why on earth would I want to zoom in on the middle of the bloody screen?

OR

The fact that I've become such a frustrating old dullard that I can't work googlemaps properly.

Leo

one of the below:

The fact that googlemaps is so fucking shit it won't stay locked on a location as you zoom in. Why on earth would I want to zoom in on the middle of the bloody screen?

OR

The fact that I've become such a frustrating old dullard that I can't work googlemaps properly.

yup. i have more success using the "+/-" nav tool. often goes wildly off target when i try to zoom instead with the computer touchpad.

dd528

You can just double click on the location I think? Only zooms you in one level at a time, but you get there in the end. Also if you put your cursor over a location and use the scroll wheel I think it zooms in or out on that location.

slowtrain

Try using google maps on a macbook... Just trying to move around involves accidentally zooming in and out and flying way off the map (gets even worse on street view)

STN

sou'wester
That bloody CardSafe thing you get with Lloyds Bank card payments online. I can never remember the bastard password, but it just lets you set up a new one using the card expiry date (which you've already entered) and your date of birth (which probably isn't that tough to get hold of), so it's utterly pointless and is just irritating. The constant setting up of new passwords contributes to not being able to remember them and it's a self-perpetuating pain in the fuck.

e/y

was reading that earlier. many of the comments exceed the usual idiocy of CiF threads by a wide margin. sad stuff.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeah, exactly. one guy made a simple but brilliant point though - that the mode of communication in those comments itself mirrored what kelis was saying, that people were falling over themselves to deny racism, by not even considering that it could exist. hence the concentration upon anything and everything else - queue jumping, the possible inconsistencies in her story etc etc - while the word 'slave' was left utterly uninterrogated.

And to be honest, Kelis skewered something really at the heart of Britain more succinctly than a hundred 'cultural commentators', in what she said. Fighting against something the very existence of which is denied, is particualrly horrific.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Guardian's not perfect by any stretch but it's generally pretty left-liberal, so why do so many frothing conservatives read it? Or maybe they don't actually read the paper but just post ignorant bile in the CiF section?

Edit: that said, the story as it stands is pretty fishy. There are no public commercial flights from either of the very tiny, private air fields on the Island, even if you could fly from the IoW to London it sure as hell wouldn't take three hours and why would she have to queue up for immigration and passport control after a domestic flight anyway?

Edit mk II: then again, it could be that she's relating an incident that really happened and that the facts of the story have been mangled by a Guardian journo who's never set foot outside the M25...

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
the tone in which so many of those fuckers are saying 'we don't like queue jumpers in the uk' is really rubbing me up the wrong way

STN

sou'wester
quite, if queue-jump she did (and I'm certainly not saying she did) then there's ways of addressing that without being such an utter bastard about it. Also, why on earth would she bother to make that up?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Also, why on earth would she bother to make that up?

i think this is pretty key - it would be more bizarre for it to be made up than for it to have happened.

anyways, whether it happened or not is not so much the point, as it's an interesting gauge for people's reactions towards issues of racism.

alex

Do not read this.
don't think i've ever remembered one of those bloody card safe things, make a new password up every time, complete waste of time

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
don't think i've ever remembered one of those bloody card safe things, make a new password up every time, complete waste of time

Yeah, they're a complete pain in the arse, and as STN points out, pretty much worthless as a security measure. I think it's probably there mainly to give the illusion of an added layer of security.

e/y

The Guardian's not perfect by any stretch but it's generally pretty left-liberal, so why do so many frothing conservatives read it? Or maybe they don't actually read the paper but just post ignorant bile in the CiF section?

Easier to get a reaction and I imagine a good percentage of right wingers posting on there think of it as 'sticking it' to the liberal establishment or somesuch bullshit.

e/y

liz-jones-is-rich.jpg

alternatively, this could go in the Pointless / Chuckle thread, but I'm in a bad mood.