Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hardly worth drafting a law against though, is it? Yet another piece of legislation to save us the awful ordeal of having to think for ourselves. Joy.

slowtrain

I like Tom Waits but I am always scared of putting him on because I know a lot of people feel very strongly about him.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
1239295179707.jpg

I fucking love Tom Waits, fwiw.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
in a way i can't bear tom waits, or nick cave, or leonard cohen. which is not to say that i don't like some of their songs (ncik cave especially), but they're so wantonly glum, in a very specific way i don't find interesting (which is to say that there are wantonly glum artists i do find interesting). Can't put my finger on what it is though.

i find grinderman infinitely more listenable than nick cave (obv i mean the other nick cave stuff), fwiw.

maybe it's just goth i don't like, as the cure and depeche mode also bore me, despite my liking some of their songs.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I would have said that Tom Waits was a fairly playful if not downright silly singer. Never would have called him glum. Inauthentic maybe. But I couldn't really give a shit, seems pretty obviously a caricature or a number of caricatures to me, there's no way he can have been a hobo and a merchant seaman in the south pacific in the 19th century and a German huntsman etc etc

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
yeah i like Tom Waits he can be quite a brave writer and he seems like a cool guy, i'd like to go drinking with him and we'd get really fucked on whisky sours and swing dance those puerto rican babes we met and probably end up at that afterhours place on the lower-east side swigging wine straight from the bottle and talking about war and religion and then we'd say hey Tom why doncha go on over to that pianna and then...

slowtrain

I only like Tom Waits non-ballad songs.

All of his 'glum' or 'romantic' ones I find pretty boring.

I just like the ones about living in an old fridge or playing dice or stealing someones money or cats in the mailbox.

zhao

there are no accidents
shallow people have always done, and continue to do, only every fucking day, my head in completely.

constant shallowness leads to evil. coil was right it's true.

people who only ever think and talk about bullshit all day everyday. my girlfriend says that maybe they do have other dimensions but only choose not to reveal them, and only ever talk about celebrities or whatever the fuck because it's a choice. i don't buy it.

but honestly i don't know which is worse, people who are blatantly shallow, or those who pretend to have depth by listening to Tom Waits.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
but honestly i don't know which is worse, people who are blatantly shallow, or those who pretend to have depth by listening to Tom Waits.

...or people who reveal their great spiritual and artistic depths by bitching about how horribly shallow and inauthentic Tom Waits is...

Zhao, has it occurred to you that maybe some people listen to Tom Waits for no other reason than because they like his music, rather than because of some misguided quest to be perceived as "deep" in the eyes of others?

I dunno, no-one wants to think of themselves as "shallow" but as insults go, it's so vague as to be almost meaningless. And something that's "bullshit" to one person is deeply meaningful to someone else. Is Cyclonopedia "bullshit" or "meaningful"? What about football? What about X-Factor? What about fashion? What about dubstep? Ah, but there's deep dubstep and then there's shallow dubstep...blah blah blah...

Last edited: