grizzleb

Friend of my dad who works as a pilot instructor says that Ryanair has just about the most stringent safety precautions of any airline in the world.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Friend of my dad who works as a pilot instructor says that Ryanair has just about the most stringent safety precautions of any airline in the world.

Well if they had a crash or something and there was found to be some fault in their procedures, people would sue, wouldn't they? It's just basic economic sense.

They're still cunts.

grizzleb

I didn't mean for that remark to have ethical implications, but that knowledge at least gives peace of mind when you're crammed into one of their jets. Ryanair is capitalism at its purest form almost, it's brilliant.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm staying in a guesthouse at the moment while I look for a flat...it's generally pretty nice but I'm the only person here out of both staff and guests who isn't Indian and the heating is on full whack all day and night, I feel like I'm being roasted alive.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Seems this is almost my own personal thread at the moment, but I cannot help venting about the following kind of crap...

On a bottle of shower gel in the bathroom in my girlfriend's house, the label reads:

some patronising marketing fuckhead said:
"We don't believe in testing our products on Bambi, Skippy or Lassie."

...accompanied by a wee cartoon icon of a darling fwuffy bunnykins. Jesus shuddering fuck. Is there some sinister conspiracy afoot to turn Britain's entire adult female population into burbling simpletons? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You have read a women's magazine, Tea?

Somehow it seems to be much more acceptable for a woman to read them than it does for a man to read FHM, Loaded etc. But they're both full of unbridled shit (I quite like Marie Claire though, or maybe that was only because at the time I was learning French and it was in French, thus rendering anything quite interesting, regardless of content).

That advertising makes me sick though - it seems to belong to an offshoot of the Innocent smoothie/Pret a Manger style, which makes me want to kill.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yes, it started with foods ("I'm packed with yummy natural goodness!!", oh dear Lord stay my hand, for I will not be held responsible...) but has now leeched out into other products.

With cosmetics, you've got the other extreme in stuff that's aimed at men. Which brand was it recently that decided the best way to make men buy moisturiser was to call it "refuelling" rather than "moisturising"...

CyberShave 5000: BECAUSE YOUR FACE IS A MACHINE.

WH Smith has decided to call its 'range' of foods (mediocre sandwiches and generic chocolate/cereal bars, in other words) "foo-go". In nice, non-threatening, all-lower-case, soft-edged sans-serif. Fuck off you cunts, I'm not going to be talked to like I'm a toddler.

Last edited:

you

I love this dynamic Tea, reason being that the hard, machine language'd, engineer stuff aimed at men is just as utterly nonsensical as the softer, cutesy, cuddly stuff aimed at the women-folk. There is no hydro-activated membrane protection filter just as there are no lemony wemony happy lemons in shampoo. Despite all the criticism and parody these marketing guys just soldier on, becoming more and more absurd - you gotta love it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wish I could see the funny side of it but I just find the whole thing depressing. Is the Great British Public really that stupid? The fact that companies shell out big bucks to the people who come up with this crap would seem to suggest that it is.

Baboon, you know that old film, The Evil That Men Do? Whenever I see someone reading Heat or Closer or any of that bollocks, the phrase The Shite That Women Read suggests itself to me...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also, the social day out for new employees at the company I've just joined has been decided. The activities I voted for (paintballing, quad bikes) came 2nd and 3rd in the popular vote. The winner? 'Golf clinic', whatever the fuck that is. Somewhere people are taken to be resusitated after falling into a coma through sheer boredom, perhaps.

Sigh.

Last edited:

you

I wish I could see the funny side of it but I just find the whole thing depressing. Is the Great British Public really that stupid? The fact that companies shell out big bucks to the people who come up with this crap would seem to suggest that it is.

Baboon, you know that old film, The Evil That Men Do? Whenever I see someone reading Heat or Closer or any of that bollocks, the phrase The Shite That Women Read suggests itself to me...

well, it is tragic, not sure if this is a consolation or not but it isn't an anglocentric issue - it's global.

people like shite, people like marketing, market forces....someones gotta make the product, and if they make it sitting in an oval of costa cups, over-priced cufflinks, ipads and blackberrys then so be it....

you

the amount of business services that exist today tea - shit, you know theres a whole service sector for just managing your business address, your registered addresses...sickening.

.... oh, and don't think it's the dumb businesses that are being gullible, even the government still feel they can sub-contract there way to a cheaper solution FFS.... lunacy.

snake_oil.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Golf clinic? How's the job going anyway?
Baboon - do you speak French?

Er, not well. Lived in Paris for a year or so though. Watched 'Man on Wire' last night (great film), and got most of the French in it, so not as rusty as I thought it was.

@Tea, I think You is spot on - this stupidity is deeply connected to the stupidity of the systems within which we live. Most of the common sense consensus on any number of issues is close to ludicrous, so this level of asinine(ness?) in product selling is to be expected. Which also explains why you (or I) find it depressing rather than laughable.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Er, not well. Lived in Paris for a year or so though. Watched 'Man on Wire' last night (great film), and got most of the French in it, so not as rusty as I thought it was."
The reason I ask is cos I've been spending a lot of time in Paris at the moment and I'm trying to improve my French. I feel that I'm getting better at understanding it each time I go but I lack the confidence to speak it and, also, while I'm back here I set myself back a little. Did you just pick it up by living there or did you study or what?
Where did you live in Paris? It's such a beautiful city, I don't know if it's because I'm only seeing the best parts and always having fun there but I absolutely love the place.

you

Idle - start a Paris thread please - would be great to talk about it further, i'd love to live there at some point, always felt very comfortable there compared to London.

EDIT - yeah, saying this here because you inbox is full btw