IdleRich

IdleRich
That is nasty. Especially the idea of virtual segragation by restricting cheap public transport from poor areas to those that the rich might want to use.

"the improved transport of recent years has a less acknowledged downside: the Tube will whisk you to Oxford Street in minutes from a variety of less salubrious locales, as will a veritable fleet of buses."

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Agreed that M&W's sketch show isn't a patch on Peep Show - although in fairness it varies a lot, they have some fairly good gags sometimes I think - but I'm not sure I'd call it 'smug', as such. For me, smug comedy is Gervais's stand-up (ugh), Frankie Boyle and maybe Jimmy Carr (whom I nonetheless often find funny despite myself).

More generally, I think 'smug' is rather overused around these parts and is in danger of becoming a more or less meaningless catch-all term for anything one doesn't like or feels superior to. If it's genuinely how you feel about Mitchell and Webb's comedy then fair enough, but a lot of the time it's used on Dissensus I think it's basically just an easy way to dismiss something without having to think too hard about why you don't like it.

The first sketch show M & W did was good, The Mitchell & Webb Situation. The second one, That Mitchell & Webb Look was pretty poor. You may be right about my use of the word smug, although I don't find Frankie Boyle or Jimmy Carr particularly smug (maybe a little). Gervais is definitely smug.

e/y summed up my views on Brooker better than I did in his last post.

BareBones

wheezy
i used to listen to the M&W Sound on Radio 4 a bit before it got turned into a TV show and it was way, way funnier. Lots of the jokes didn't translate very well to TV I think. eg that one with the snooker commentators I thought was hilarious on radio at the time, but it was excruciating on TV. TV sketch shows are just pretty shit in general I think.

plus i think it's clear that mitchell is much funnier than webb.

STN

sou'wester
They used to have a sketch show called Bruiser, way back in the late 90s. It was alright, I think.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The snooker commentary sketch was fantastic, but there was loads of dead wood in the radio show too.

Loads of people I know don't like Peep Show. It generally (note use of this word) appeals to (and is aimed at) middle class white people, which is fine, but it's important not to confuse this with comedy that has broader appeal (eg Fawlty Towers, can't be arsed to think of anything more recent). I've cringed when I've watched it with people who do not form part of this demographic, as instantly the show's demographic leanings become cringemakingly obvious.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i used to listen to the M&W Sound on Radio 4 a bit before it got turned into a TV show and it was way, way funnier. Lots of the jokes didn't translate very well to TV I think. eg that one with the snooker commentators I thought was hilarious on radio at the time, but it was excruciating on TV. TV sketch shows are just pretty shit in general I think.

plus i think it's clear that mitchell is much funnier than webb.

Yeah, the snooker commentators sketch was like a throwback to the lamest kind of '90s comedy. 'Numberwang' also harked back to The Fast Show and all that catchphrase-based stuff - though having said that, the best bits of TFS are still undeniably brilliant; Ted and Ralph is pure tragi-comic genius, Jazz Club was great too.

I saw Robert Webb presenting some kind of clip-based TV show a couple of years ago and while it raised one or two half-hearted smiles, I mainly just felt sorry for him.

M&W's sketch about the magic clarinet was very contrived but quite good, I thought. Especially the punchline: "Well I've got a tuba that makes you shit yourself..." - PARP.

Harry Hill's Fruit Corner was amazing on the radio, probably even better than his first couple of TV series, and they were great.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fast Show I hated apart form the immortal line from the football commentator : "never underestimate the combination of ignorance and alcohol". Little Britain seemed like the inheritor of its lineage - I hate that too.

I like Paul Whitehouse though - the Harry Enfield show was largely classic (the Fast Show reduced everything to the punchline in my view, though obviously there were exceptions), and that thing with disgraced comedy actor Chris Langham sounded interesting.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Fast Show was by no means consistently great and it spawned some crap, but I reckon the better sketches still stand up.

But then, I am horrendously white and middle-class, so of course I liked it. ;)

bandshell

Grand High Witch
The best M & W sketch I've seen is the one where the bloke lets a film crew into his house and they won't leave. They just keep filming him and asking him what happened and he's saying these people came into his house and won't leave, they just keeping film him.

"Who's they, Terry?"

"Well, you know, it's you"

alex

Do not read this.
wii fit, why does everything have to be in front of a fucking screen nowdays? just go to a park and run in the fresh air for fucks sake you fat fucks... jesus christ. If I had my way I would make people buy all the gear then sell games that just had a man screaming 'GO OUTSIDE AND DO SOME REAL EXERCISE YOU LAZY FAT CUNT' until they actually did.

edit** also completely agree with bandshell and ey about c/brooker, so tiresome

Last edited:

Webstarr

PBIDMHI: Online address forms with really inflexible formats that demand 'state/county' in addition to 'city', so that you redundantly have to give an address in 'London, Greater London'.

Similar to this I hate it when they can't get county names right, i.e. me having to select the imaginary North Humberside instead of East Yorkshire

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Similar to this I hate it when they can't get county names right, i.e. me having to select the imaginary North Humberside instead of East Yorkshire

Counties are pretty much redundant as far as addresses go, anyway. You need house number (or name, if you're dead posh like), street name, town/city, post code. Job done.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Counties are pretty much redundant as far as addresses go, anyway. You need house number (or name, if you're dead posh like), street name, town/city, post code. Job done.

If you put a plaque outside your house/flat, does it 'officially' ge tthat name, or do you have to register it somewhere? Surely people must have called their houses ridiculous things.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If you put a plaque outside your house/flat, does it 'officially' ge tthat name, or do you have to register it somewhere? Surely people must have called their houses ridiculous things.

I don't know - I should expect it has to go on some Post Office registry. A lot of the sillier names have a number as well, so they can still receive post.

I think photos of some of the more egregious house-name plaques would be an excellent subject for a blog, if someone hasn't done that already.