Page 225 of 225 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225
Results 3,361 to 3,372 of 3372

Thread: Pointless But It Does My Head In

Good god but am I ever sick of people who think it makes them sound smart or funny or worldly wise by starting with "But at least..." and then saying something that's obviously untrue and finishing with "Oh." or "Oh wait."

It's like the dark days of the early '90s and Americans thinking they'd have a go at this sarcasm thing by saying something in a very sarcastic voice and then going "...NAWT!!!!" just in case anyone missed the sarcasm.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

my "pointless..." comment for the day: i have loads of old 12" house and techno vinyl with $5.99 (for domestic) and $9.99 (for import) price stickers on them. i was just looking at a weekly new releases email and almost all of the 12" vinyl is at least $14.99...holy crap, how do people afford to buy records anymore? who's going to take a chance on some obscure single when it's that price? maybe most dance music fans are buying digital at this point, so there's only a small universe of obsessives who spend cash for vinyl.
    I've been thinking about prices for vinyl a lot recently cos I am moving and short of money so I have been looking through my records and selling things I don't want or need. As well as my own stuff there is a load of kida 90s and 00s dance music that has accumulated over the years. I've sold some sevens for over a ton but others sell for much less than I expected - especially the "dance" stuff. While you're right that new stuff is expensive, it generally doesn't hold its value. It's weird to me that things such s box sets with like five drum & bass twelves cost 40p on discogs. It just seems that the sheer weight of vinyl should make it cost more than that. So, what's my point? None really but I guess that if someone can't afford new twelves they could amuse themselves and buy every new techno, house, big-beat etc record released between 95 and 2010 for a total of 7.50

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    It's like the dark days of the early '90s and Americans thinking they'd have a go at this sarcasm thing by saying something in a very sarcastic voice and then going "...NAWT!!!!" just in case anyone missed the sarcasm.
    in the late 80's USA, i seem to remember saying "sike" instead of "not". It may be a regional thing.

Quote Originally Posted by empty mirror View Post
    in the late 80's USA, i seem to remember saying "sike" instead of "not". It may be a regional thing.
    Like this, you mean?

I'm going mainly from the Wayne's World movies, to be totally honest. And the guy who tried to teach Borat how to do 'comedy', although of course that was long after the early '90s.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Flat Earth

Stupid novelty beers brewed with yeast taken from someone's beard, feet, cunt etc.

the fact that the 'hater' rhetoric has somehow made it acceptable to discard any criticism on the basis of a fabricated suggestion of some petty motive like jealousy or whatever.

the hater/anti-negativity thing has allowed way too much wack shit to fly. i'd argue that it's one of the main reasons for things becoming so shit. if we're not allowed to be honest when it comes to criticism then the bar will get set lower and lower. the kids now were raised on the idea that if you're determined, and believe in yourself enough, you will succeed. but they forgot to factor in the other bit.. talent.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    the hater/anti-negativity thing has allowed way too much wack shit to fly. i'd argue that it's one of the main reasons for things becoming so shit. if we're not allowed to be honest when it comes to criticism then the bar will get set lower and lower. the kids now were raised on the idea that if you're determined, and believe in yourself enough, you will succeed. but they forgot to factor in the other bit.. talent.
    I'd argue it's the same kind of "the more succesful you are, the more people will hate you" mentality that fueled a big part of Trump's support during the election. It almost glorifies being critized/hated and makes people blind to the actual content of the criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    the kids now were raised on the idea that if you're determined, and believe in yourself enough, you will succeed. but they forgot to factor in the other bit.. talent.
    This is complicated by the fact that many people have made it very big without much in the way of identifiable talent at all. So if talent helps in terms of becoming a success in certain fields*, it isn't actually necessary, the missing ingredients are sheer dumb luck and, let's not forget, the often unseen (or ignored) helping hand of well-connected and/or rich parents. I mean, without wishing to dis Lana del Rey's abilities as a songwriter or performer, it can't have hurt her career to have minted parents. Kim Kardashian hasn't exactly had to claw her way up out of the gutter either. And so on.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; Yesterday at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Kim Kardashian hasn't exactly had to claw her way up out of the gutter either.
    Arguable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichen View Post
    Arguable.
    Haha, I see what you did there.