Page 226 of 230 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 3438

Thread: Pointless But It Does My Head In

Seriously Benny, give it a rest. This is verging on monomania. It's not healthy.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

\_(ツ)_/

If you type in her name in google and see how this is being reported and commented on you might get what I mean.

I just find it bizarre that your first reaction to a woman literally getting away with attempted murder - which story is obviously more about the privileges of wealth, class and education than it is about gender, but never mind - is try to bend it into your narrative of universal female victimhood. Well actually I don't, because it's entirely in keeping with the stuff you've been coming out with for ages, but it is nuts.

Clearly the public reaction to a case like this is far more important to you than the case itself, which is telling. Because, you know, people are giving this woman a hard time, so she's the real victim here, obviously.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I can see both sides of the argument here. It's outrageous that this woman didn't get treated in the same way as someone of 'less talent' would, given the judge states that that's what has happened. The decision is about wealth, class and education, in that these determined the outcome of the case.

But the way it's been reported is about gender. With a woman who's committed a violent crime, the media rules are different and harsher than for men. So I think this woman deserved to go to prison (or rather to be treated equally as anyone else - don't especially think prison helps anyone, especially where there are issues of past abuse), but that a lot of the media coverage is misogynist, and has nothing to do with the public interest. Both can be true. Notable that no report I read said anything about the condition of the guy she stabbed! Not interested in that...

I have a problem in general with these kind of cases getting blanket coverage. There was a case this week in Kent where a kid had killed his stepdad with a single punch, maintaining that it was in self-defence, and was let off. The exact detail of the case is not known to the media, and yet there's loads of salacious coverage of it because he's a 17 year old. Is this really news?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Well whatever the (manifold) problems there are in our media culture, that's a separate issue from the miscarriage of the case itself.

I don't know if the media is necessarily harsher on women than on men in cases like this. I think it's more complicated than that. On one hand, much of the media effectively tried Amanda "Foxy Knoxy" Knox in absentia and decided she was guilty of Meredith Kercher's murder because she 'looked the sort' and because there was (allegedly) sex involved, and everyone loves a femme fatale. OTOH, I remember the media being overwhelmingly defensive of Louise Woodward, who of course turned out to be guilty as sin, because she was kind of baby-faced and innocent-looking. So it can certainly go both ways.

Women get judged on their looks even when the question is murder.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Other people.

call me cynical but most of the media just want to sell papers/get clicks, and playing up this angle sells papers and attracts eyeballs. i doubt it's any sort of moral stance, it's just what sells.

People on TV shows about selling houses that don't take their fucking shoes off while looking around.

Absolutely, but shouldn't there be some stricter regulations around it? The obvious argument is how the hell to enforce such regulations.....and on that, who knows.

@ Leo's post, but I do also feel strongly that indoor shoelessness should be enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Stupid novelty beers brewed with yeast taken from someone's beard, feet, cunt etc.
    Indeed and triple dipped filtered bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Absolutely, but shouldn't there be some stricter regulations around it? The obvious argument is how the hell to enforce such regulations.....and on that, who knows.

@ Leo's post, but I do also feel strongly that indoor shoelessness should be enforced.
    Detector after the welcome mat, shoes detected, release the 30ft spike!

A spike seems excessive. But if it means cutting off their feet in the interim period while they learn some basic household decency, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin D View Post
    Other people.
    This is the real answer to this thread. All the rest is just padding.

People who drive in the middle lane on the motorway all the time.