Page 228 of 230 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230 LastLast
Results 3,406 to 3,420 of 3445

Thread: Pointless But It Does My Head In

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Hello if you still lurk here. And sorry about all this.
    Look, if I'm that much of an embarrassment then just ban me. Seriously. I've enjoyed being a member of this community over the years but for a forum called 'dissensus' it has its fair share of orthodoxies.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Drama queen, much?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Well that's how I see it. It's just obvious. On the one hand you have the misogynistic stereotype of the 'Feminazi', and on the other, feminists who are only too happy to fit that stereotype by being far more interested in demonizing men than in actual equality.
    You don't think that misogyny (and the 'resurgence' in it -not sure when misogyny took time off, but that's a minor point here) might just be driven by men being misogynist, rather than by women?

I think it's a point of view worth considering, as is the thought that many women might have more than enough reason to 'demonise' men, because the 'actual equality' that they're allegedly not really that interested in has already been infringed on many, many occasions.

Please tell me you don't believe what you've written above, and were just annoyed and writing any old crap to try to win the argument? It's not unorthodox to blame women for misogyny, it's just wrong and offensive.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 19-05-2017 at 11:40 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Drama queen, much?
    Lol, says the man apologizing on my behalf to people who haven't posted in the best part of a decade in case they're anonymously browsing the forum. It's just that if it's causing that much unpleasantness then I probably shouldn't post here any more.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Please tell me you don't believe what you've written above, and were just annoyed and writing any old crap to try to win the argument? It's not unorthodox to blame women for misogyny, it's just wrong and offensive.
    I'm not blaming "women", that's ridiculous. It's not feminism or feminists per se either, but a particularly dogmatic strain of feminism. I'm pretty sure all my female friends would gladly call themselves feminists, but I've never heard any of them come out with some of the mental stuff that Benny does sometimes.

I'm not blaming "women", that's ridiculous. It's not feminism or feminists per se either, but a particularly dogmatic strain of feminism. I'm pretty sure all my female friends would gladly call themselves feminists, but I've never heard any of them come out with some of the mental stuff that Benny does sometimes.
    So you're only blaming some women for this resurgence in misogyny. That's alright then!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Lol, says the man apologizing on my behalf to people who haven't posted in the best part of a decade in case they're anonymously browsing the forum. It's just that if it's causing that much unpleasantness then I probably shouldn't post here any more.
    You could try not being unpleasant. It's worked wonders for Craner.

OK JUST BAN ME TOO THEN, waaaaaaah.

Get a grip.

Here's a more balanced report of the case, the full details of which have not been published. Contrary to previous reports she hasn't even been sentenced yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ge-after-abuse

Lavinia Woodward, 24, has been told that if she stays off drugs and does not reoffend, she may avoid a prison sentence – immediate or suspended – when she returns to court in September.

After her case was brought to public attention in press reports this week, pictures from her Facebook account were published across the media, and she began to receive threatening messages.

The full details of the case have not been published. The 24-year-old student was described to the court as very vulnerable with psychiatric issues. She is already in rehab. A psychiatric report and a pre-sentence report both concluded that the effect of sending her to jail would be “catastrophic”.

Her ex-partner, a Cambridge University student whom she met on the dating app Tinder, did not need hospital treatment. His fingers were steri-stripped and his 1cm leg wound required stitches which were inserted at the scene.

While the mitigating factors in the sentencing guidelines ask judges to consider whether a defendant has shown otherwise good character or exemplary conduct, there is no specific mention of academic achievement or intelligence. The judge’s comments that she was was an “extraordinarily able lady” and her defence counsel’s reference to her being “bright” – which have attracted public attention to the case – may therefore not be relevant to her sentencing.

The deferred sentence imposed conditions on Woodward, to remain drug and alcohol free and to commit no further offences. The judge said he wished to give her the chance to prove she could continue to rehabilitate herself. Pringle also handed down a five-year restraining order preventing Woodward from having any contact with the victim.

Her ex-partner was not seriously injured, there was no premeditation and she had no previous criminal history. A category 3 offence would normally be dealt with by way of community service; a category 2 offence would have a starting point of a sentence that could be suspended.

Use of a weapon would have counted as an aggravating factor in assessing the offence but the breadknife was merely an object to hand rather than something she had fetched with intent to use. The court also heard that she stabbed herself with the blade.

So Mr Tea, if this had been the first report you'd read about the case, would you have had the same reaction?

Do you think this woman should go to jail?

And can you see how taking gender into consideration might be a useful perspective, rather than 'bizarre' or 'nuts'?

So you're only blaming some women for this resurgence in misogyny. That's alright then!
    Plenty of men too. Benny is a man, or presents as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    So Mr Tea, if this had been the first report you'd read about the case, would you have had the same reaction?

Do you think this woman should go to jail?

And can you see how taking gender into consideration might be a useful perspective, rather than 'bizarre' or 'nuts'?
    Let me turn that round and ask you what your take would be if the genders were reversed. A "bright" and "promising", but also "vulnerable", man with drug problems violently assaults his girlfriend with a knife. What's your take then?

Moreover, leaving gender aside, I maintain that it's fucked up that she should be treated more leniently than if she were just an ordinary prole who worked in a shop or something. You've got someone who's already lucked out in the life lottery being accorded yet further privilege. If you have more reason than some other people to want to avoid jail, then that's all the more motivation for you to avoid committing crime, isn't it?

OK, but only those men who are in support of feminism are responsible for this resurgence of misogyny, right? It's not the men who are actually being misogynist who are responsible?

Ffs Tea, there are points where you have to hold your hands up and realise that you've said something indefensible!
    Last edited by baboon2004; 20-05-2017 at 12:04 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Or am I? How do you know I'm not one of those man-hating feminazis in disguise?

Let me turn that round and ask you what your take would be if the genders were reversed. A "bright" and "promising", but also "vulnerable", man with drug problems violently assaults his girlfriend with a knife. What's your take then?
    String him up by his balls!

It's not the men who are actually being misogynist who are responsible?
    Of course they're responsible, and I never said otherwise. But nothing happens in a vacuum and there are social and cultural forces that can make people more likely to adopt a certain prejudice.