Page 3 of 230 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless But It Does My Head In

Curses... In the words of charlie brown, "always the basson!"

Default Good Grief

They look so unlike the Peanuts characters.... as if they were chosen deliberately to look nothing like lucy & charlie brown.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    uptight euro upper class rigid little rules for every social function - how to dress, what shoes to wear with what jacket in what season. especially when it comes to dining - why oh why are you horrified if i have another helping of pasta AFTER i finish my creme brule??!! there is a midnight sausage snack coming up in 20 minutes ANYWAY.
    haha..I love all that shit. Knowing the "rules" really impresses the girls too, and I need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by swears; 24-05-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spellin'

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I'm guessing that Mr Tea has a problem with eating dick, not the fact that dogs are cute.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    re: dog dick in China - only a tiny little region of the country traditionally has dog and cat on the menu, as a delicasee, like bird's nest soup or shark fin, though now it's become more popular in the big cities because of tourism. and that's another western stupid: just because it's cute we shouldn't it? baby chickens, cows, pigs are all cute. hypocrites!
    You mis-understand me: I'm not objecting becayse it's 'cute', I'm objecting because it's disgusting!
    (it was the 'dick' bit, rather than the 'dog' bit, I was getting at. Plus, I bet dophlin tastes awesome...)
    And let's not forget the species being driven to extinction because their ovaries or hypothalamuses are a vital ingredient in 'traditional Chinese medicine'...

Edit: why is it that eating doplhin is 'abhorrent', btw? I mean, if a particular species of dolphin is on the verge of extinction, that's fair enough - although the same thing can be said of the distinctly non-cute North Sea cod.
    So unless they're about to die out, you seem to be guilty of exactly the same 'cuteness bias' you dismiss as a Western hypocrisy?
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 24-05-2007 at 05:57 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I'm guessing that Mr Tea has a problem with eating dick, not the fact that dogs are cute.
    *nyom nyom nyom*
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    haha..I love all that shit. Knowing the "rules" really impresses the girls too, and I need all the help I can get.
    yeah i can see myself getting into it too. it's like figure skating, precarious, yes, but when it becomes natural it's nice. hmmm maybe an ettiquette thread...

As a child i was very taken with this line on a Talking Heads record sleeve that I saw in WHSmiths:

"table manners are for people with nothing better to do"

I had it all drummed into me by my very class-conscious mum. I know exactly which fork to pick up.
    on the other hand she also taught me useful stuff like how to read and how to put on a record.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    on the other hand she also taught me useful stuff like how to read and how to put on a record.
    That neatly sums up the two most important life skills of any self-respecting Dissensian!

"table manners are for people with nothing better to do"
    I was under the impression that originally manners were invented as a way to behave to make people feel comfortable, it's now become so twisted round that they are used by those who know as a way to make others who don't feel uncomfortable.

"Knowing the "rules" really impresses the girls too, and I need all the help I can get."
    This is a recurring theme with you Swears, are you really ugly or something? What's the problem?

why is it that eating doplhin is 'abhorrent', btw?
    Again I'd be guessing but I reckon that Zhao thinks that because of their intelligence level.

When you give someone a quote for a job and they come back 3 times trying to shave costs off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2stepfan View Post
    BMW drivers talking on the phone while taking up the whole fucking road and not looking where they are going.

Cunts.

Definitely a grumpy old man moment for me.
    that has to be the most openly flouted law in the uk - some days it seems like every driver i see in london is on the phone while driving.

Mercurial tradesmen

I was under the impression that originally manners were invented as a way to behave to make people feel comfortable, it's now become so twisted round that they are used by those who know as a way to make others who don't feel uncomfortable.
    I'd recommend you read Levi-Strauss's essay 'On the Origin of Table Manners' in The Raw & The Cooked - very illuminating.