nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
hmmn. the best thrift store i ever set foot in was in syracuse...

silver lining

I really don't mind SARAH-cuse, as its pronounced here, too much. It's surrounded by rural farm land on all sides. And a great lake nearby that causes snow to fall 6 months per year. I couldn't wait to leave when I was younger.

It's Rochester and Utica that I wouldn't live in for less than a few million a year. Buffalo has a good school, and that's it.

Watch, now that I said that I'll end up stuck in one of those places for the rest of my life.

STN

sou'wester
The geezer who elected to spend about an hour bellowing at his girlfriend at five-thirty (I know it was five-thirty because he shrieked this fact at her) this morning in the alleyway behind by house.

My ire is compounded by the fact that when I stuck my head out of the window and screamed 'shut up' like the cockney housewife I am, the bloke started having a go at her for keeping people awake, when in fact his girlfriend's responses had been so quite throughout that it was only when I put my head out that I realized she was actually there, rather than being roared at down the phone.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
The geezer who elected to spend about an hour bellowing at his girlfriend at five-thirty (I know it was five-thirty because he shrieked this fact at her) this morning in the alleyway behind by house.

My ire is compounded by the fact that when I stuck my head out of the window and screamed 'shut up' like the cockney housewife I am, the bloke started having a go at her for keeping people awake, when in fact his girlfriend's responses had been so quite throughout that it was only when I put my head out that I realized she was actually there, rather than being roared at down the phone.

what a cock.

Nomad: it was last summer i got mugged in Manhattan. i have to say my calling it a 'dodgy' part of east Harlem was out of order: given the circumstances, and the fact i was in a slightly run-down, somewhat deserted area of a relatively deprived part of the neighbourhood (AFAICT) and mildly confused, well, what happened happened, eh.
my time in Harlem was entirely more uplifting than negative given all the little cuties playing water fights with each other in the street, good food, loud reggae and rap booming out everywhere, the sense of history and community cohesion and so on etc etc

i agree with you about Rust-Belt cities and whatnot, BTW.

AFAIK the most murderous US cities per capita include New Orleans, Gary, IN, Youngstown, OH, Newark, D.C., Baltimore and Detroit.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
I do know that economic oppression in mid-sized cities need not be measured against war in Nigeria to be truly problematic.

In a country with the amount of money and resources that the U.S. has at its disposal, ghettos shouldn't exist, period. That was my larger point, a pretty obvious one.

points we can all agree on.

Atlanta used to rate very highly for violent crime, did that get sorted out?

Wiki shows recent homicide stats for US cities and Atlanta is uncomfortably near the 'top' (as it were, which means worst)

St Louis too, N mentioned up-thread plus a few places i mentioned up-thread.

'United States cities by crime-rate'

Camden, NJ, Irvington, NJ, Richmond, CA, just some of the smaller cities also getting dishonourable mentions

population 40,000 to 60,000

60,000 to 100,000

100,000 to 250,000

250,000 +

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
i agree with you about Rust-Belt cities and whatnot, BTW.

I'm not sure anyone was ever disagreeing about that. or at least I wasn't. they're (largely) desolate, shitty places.

AFAIK the most murderous US cities per capita include New Orleans, Gary, IN, Youngstown, OH, Newark, D.C., Baltimore and Detroit.

those lists are interesting. mostly unsurprising (in addition the ones you mention, Cleveland, Miami, all the ex-industrial towns &, having lived there, Oakland as well as Stockton & esp. Richmond). Camden isn't surprising either - right across the river from Philly, where I lived for a couple yrs - it's a rough town. Kenner LA is a similar case - suburb of NOLA, I've been there to catch out from the trainyard.

a lot of "inner suburbs" on the lists actually, which is also unsurprising. coming up more on that banlieue model as the urban cores get gentrified, poor people pushed to the fringe fo the cities, the wealthy suburb-suburbs are the ones further out, connected to the downtowns by highways, bypassing entirely the inner suburbs. saw Mike Davis give a great talk on this topic back in high school.

other cities that weren't surprising - tons of Southern towns & small cities (Birmingham, Greensboro, Jackson), nearly half of the lists being Cali

cities which were surprising, or at least that I wouldn't have thought of - how high up Boston was, Sacramento, Tulsa, Nashville & Memphis, Rockford IL (which I knew was messed up but it has like Gary-type crime rates). plus also El Paso for, bizarrely, how low its crime rate was. that one I'm not sure about at all.

also you seem to know a hell of a lot about American cities, Scott. at least compared to how much I know about English cities - I mean, I could name them off but I've no idea about their crime rates. so kudos to you.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nottingham is said to have the UK's (or at least England's*) highest crime rate. People there keep the ancient tradition of Robin Hood at least partly alive by robbing the rich and, er, robbing the poor as well.

*since much of Glasgow is rough as fuck

STN

sou'wester
Any joke relating to 'Let's Party Like it's [whatever year]' on a flier for a retro club night or similar.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Tuition costs not scaling down to reflect the average salary you are likely to get with a degree these days. Actually, I have a point with this.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Rinse FM's adverts, especially the ones for 'classy' funky house nights. They come across as the least appealing things ever.

massrock

People walking dogs with the lead stretching all the way across the pavement.

No I will not walk all the way around you and your wretched animal while it sniffs every bit of piss. Get it off the street or carry it.

polystyle

People walking dogs with the lead stretching all the way across the pavement.

No I will not walk all the way around you and your wretched animal while it sniffs every bit of piss. Get it off the street or carry it.

Do i hear that Mass ...
And when two owners , leashes , dogs get together in middle of sidewalk -move it on over.

Likewise two DDouble strollers with walkers and cell's attached to ear barreling down sidewalk -or jogging together.

Another thang - when did jogging on the *ucking sidewalk become anything close to an acceptable idea ?
Hopefully you don't get that in Londonium town !
Grrrr

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Jogging on many streets in London would be effectively suicidal. I don't have too much of a problem with them on pavements, they're slow enough and make enough noise that you can avoid them, or simply leave it to them to avoid you. It's the little shits on bikes that do my head in...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I have a problem with people on bikes too. It's not so much that they are on bikes, but that by being on bikes it apparently gives them this moral highground that authorizes them to be a bunch of indignant, condescending assholes.

I was moving into an apartment once and had my car parked on the side of the road with the hazard lights on. All the doors were open because my friends and I were going in and out the building carrying things. The door didn't stick far enough out into the road to hit cars by any stretch of the imagination, but apparently enough to hit bikes because one woman stopped, waited til I came out of the building again, slapped the roof of my car and said

"HEY!! This is a BIKE LANE!"

as if she were approaching my door at the speed of sound and had to make a dangerous split-second maneuver to avoid it.

I have almost been hit by cars before. Most times have been my fault. I have almost been hit by bicyclists so many more times I've lost count as they zip past red lights, try and pass boarding streetcars, ride on the fucking sidewalk, etc...

polystyle

Can someone make T shirts with a friendly warm ' Get Off The Sidewalk ' out front ?
been done already ?

Cue sound of sparking stun gun ...

Here I think running on the sidewalks can be chalked up to possibly one org. - 'NYU'.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Cryptic job ads. Especially ones via recruitment websties and agencies where they don't even tell you who/what the bloody company is! :mad:

Itchy & Scratchy

I have a problem with people on bikes too. It's not so much that they are on bikes, but that by being on bikes it apparently gives them this moral highground that authorizes them to be a bunch of indignant, condescending assholes.

(...)

I have almost been hit by cars before. Most times have been my fault. I have almost been hit by bicyclists so many more times I've lost count as they zip past red lights, try and pass boarding streetcars, ride on the fucking sidewalk, etc...
Monkey Dust covers them nicely.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pointless but does my head in: The blank stares I get from people who've never heard or seen Monkey Dust.