Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Monkey Dust FTW. I vaguely know the guy who directed the ones about 'Ivan Dobsky, the Meatsafe Murderer' (only he never done it!):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Monkey Dust covers them nicely.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pointless but does my head in: The blank stares I get from people who've never heard or seen Monkey Dust.

Wow, that is exactly what I mean. Well done, Monkey Dust.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
It's the little shits on bikes that do my head in...

I have a problem with people on bikes too. It's not so much that they are on bikes, but that by being on bikes it apparently gives them this moral highground that authorizes them to be a bunch of indignant, condescending assholes.

first off, f**k you dudes. cos I am the epitome of an indignant, condescending asshole on a bike:D - nah, I'm loads better than I used to be. I still ride a fixed gear, ride fast as hell, cut thru traffic & stuff, but I know what the hell I'm doing cos I've been at it since I was 15 & I was a messenger for a while.

of course there are a lot of jerks who don't know what they're doing riding bikes. there are even more clueless jerks driving cars. I don't doubt, Sick Boy, that you've had your fair share of bad experiences w/people on bikes. Likewise, I couldn't count the # of times people in cars have almost killed me/totaled my bike when I was just riding along. Sometimes it's been my fault of course - everyone makes mistakes on/in any vehicle.

I understand why drivers get irritated w/bikes sometimes - but, seriously, don't put that blanket statement on everyone who rides a bicycle. a lot of drivers are downright hostile - keep in mind too that I'm not the one in a 2-ton hunk of metal - if I hit you it's very unlikely that I'm going to kill you.

I just love riding & I hate cars (but not drivers!!). sorry - this is something I've been living every day for years so I get kinda impassioned about it.

also f**k riding on sidewalks while I'm at it

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Checkout monkeys who insist on scanning every single item you're buying, when you're quite clearly buying 4,5,6... of exactly the same thing.

There should be a smiley sticking its tongue under its bottom lip...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Nottingham is said to have the UK's (or at least England's*) highest crime rate. People there keep the ancient tradition of Robin Hood at least partly alive by robbing the rich and, er, robbing the poor as well.
But Notts is generally a very nice place. Provided you don't sell crack on the wrong street corners you're very unlikely to go down in a hail of bullets any time soon. It's certainly a lot nicer feeling than a lot of places around there - Derby (to some extent), Mansfield, the Nottingham / Derby / M1 hinterland around Long Eaton and Spondon, and the Alfreton / Langley Mill type places that afaict have been slowly eating themselves alive since heavy industry and coal mining left town...

john eden

male pale and stale
Checkout monkeys who insist on scanning every single item you're buying, when you're quite clearly buying 4,5,6... of exactly the same thing.

There should be a smiley sticking its tongue under its bottom lip...

Ever worked on a supermarket checkout?

They probably do this because the next person in the queue looks like a psycho, or you seem cute / worth hanging on to. ;)

In my day we never had no fackin' scanners tho. Strickly ital price sticker guns and bashing it all in by hand. Kids today...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite

They probably do this because the next person in the queue looks like a psycho, or you seem cute / worth hanging on to. ;)
I guess you could sum up half of this thread as "people whose behaviour annoys me and although I realize that it's the pathological nature of Late Capitalism that's locked us into this self-destructive behavioural pattern and not any fault of them as a human being IT STILL ANNOYS ME."

And the other half as "people who do fairly normal, blameless things that happen to transgress arbitrary codes of acceptable behaviour that I've just made up."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Certainly have.

Though I like your explanation that they're checking me out (at the checkout). God, that could be a Streets song, couldn't it?

It just annoys me because it's so pointless. I dunno, maybe I'm just incredibly easily annoyed. OTOH, it is merely one tiny facet of the myriad forms of spasticity regularly exhibited by the numpties who work in the Somerfield petrol station across the road from me. Fuck me, they are special.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
first off, f**k you dudes. cos I am the epitome of an indignant, condescending asshole on a bike:D - nah, I'm loads better than I used to be. I still ride a fixed gear, ride fast as hell, cut thru traffic & stuff, but I know what the hell I'm doing cos I've been at it since I was 15 & I was a messenger for a while.

of course there are a lot of jerks who don't know what they're doing riding bikes. there are even more clueless jerks driving cars. I don't doubt, Sick Boy, that you've had your fair share of bad experiences w/people on bikes. Likewise, I couldn't count the # of times people in cars have almost killed me/totaled my bike when I was just riding along. Sometimes it's been my fault of course - everyone makes mistakes on/in any vehicle.

I understand why drivers get irritated w/bikes sometimes - but, seriously, don't put that blanket statement on everyone who rides a bicycle. a lot of drivers are downright hostile - keep in mind too that I'm not the one in a 2-ton hunk of metal - if I hit you it's very unlikely that I'm going to kill you.

I just love riding & I hate cars (but not drivers!!). sorry - this is something I've been living every day for years so I get kinda impassioned about it.

also f**k riding on sidewalks while I'm at it

i'm riding with this guy on this issue. on any day of the week find me cutting through traffic like greased lightning, like hot knife through butter, like guitar solo through speed metal riffage.

but there is a paradise city where both bike haters and lovers will find peace and contentment: Berlin, where there is a bike lane on every big street.

I guess you could sum up half of this thread as "people whose behaviour annoys me and although I realize that it's the pathological nature of Late Capitalism that's locked us into this self-destructive behavioural pattern and not any fault of them as a human being IT STILL ANNOYS ME."

And the other half as "people who do fairly normal, blameless things that happen to transgress arbitrary codes of acceptable behaviour that I've just made up."

pretty much. the problems with bikes is simply a symptom of bad city planning based on the automobile-as-ego-extension in the age of ultra-individualism as created by the consumerist ethos.

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I'm not sure I agree zhao ...that berlin is a paradise for cyclists. Yes at first with all the cycle lanes I thought it was better but the lanes are really built for the casual cyclist, with their uneven surfaces and pedestrians drifting onto them...also when you do hit the road, car drivers seem annoyed that you want to share THEIR space with them....and then there's the cobbles, probably the most efficient way to make roads in the 16th century but c'mon who exactly do they benefit now? (except people who want to see the city as some kind of heritage theme park).

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Almost got knocked down by another pavement cyclist coming at me from behind (ooh err missus, etc) last night. Worst thing was that there's a designated cycle lane on that street - why can't you use it, you fucking moron? :mad:

zhao

there are no accidents
I'm not sure I agree zhao ...that berlin is a paradise for cyclists. Yes at first with all the cycle lanes I thought it was better but the lanes are really built for the casual cyclist, with their uneven surfaces and pedestrians drifting onto them...also when you do hit the road, car drivers seem annoyed that you want to share THEIR space with them....and then there's the cobbles, probably the most efficient way to make roads in the 16th century but c'mon who exactly do they benefit now? (except people who want to see the city as some kind of heritage theme park).

true, true... but you know, comparitively speaking... to a city like LA. but i guess anything is prolly better than LA for cyclists... whats a better city then? lets go there! :D

and those shit cobbles are prolly also a reason girls tend not to wear heels here, preferring trainers, with stilletos out of the question... surely to everyone's loss and having devastating and long term corrosive effects on the culture at large.

alex

Do not read this.
People who take a long while with answers over email (work based, not personal based)

People who say "fax me that over" fax? Fax? Fucking Fax?? dont, just dont...how they are not obselete i dont know..

Girls who are fit & know it...not so phit with my phlem in your hair are you

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Almost got knocked down by another pavement cyclist coming at me from behind (ooh err missus, etc) last night. Worst thing was that there's a designated cycle lane on that street - why can't you use it, you fucking moron? :mad:

The kid riding his bike about inside the bloody supermarket just now didn't exactly go down well either.
(Though admittedly it was just a wee fixed-gear thing, from what I could tell. But still...)

I'm a bit concerned that I may be turning into a grumpy old man. Usually it would take something quite serious to get me worked up.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
People who say "fax me that over" fax? Fax? Fucking Fax?? dont, just dont...how they are not obselete i dont know..
Massive agreement. It's even worse if you aren't just using the fax machine but are spending hours setting up all the horrible clunky legacy equipment that's neccessary to test how well a fax service that about four people will ever use works with your nice shiny telephone switches / app servers.