baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was going to post this in the twee thread, but refrained because it isn't really related:

People (music people) who make a big deal out of being liberal, environmentally friendly, vegan, etc etc, but then ALSO choose to make a big deal out of 'physical media', especially vinyl, despite it being a fucking hideously polluting medium. That whole "this is a slab of rainforest and petrochemicals - but we've wrapped in recycled cardboard, so it's OK!" shit really fucking annoys me.

Worst kind of hypocrites.

Thing is, a lot of those people will also support hideously fascist political policies, or at least not object to them.

Also, anyone who goes on about the environment, looks at you as if you've killed their first born if you dont' recycle a bottle, and then takes 10 flights a year, annoys me beyond measure. Worse even than hypocrisy, it's unimaginable stupidity to think no-one else will notice. Plus it shows a total disregard for basic maths. Anyone who goes on about the environment whilst still taking flights, basically. I take flights, therefore I don't care that much.

anyone who uses 'the deficit' as an explanation for justifying the Tories withdrawing money from yet another vulnerable group, and then can't really explain what it is/why it's a particular problem now.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also, anyone who goes on about the environment, looks at you as if you've killed their first born if you dont' recycle a bottle, and then takes 10 flights a year, annoys me beyond measure. Worse even than hypocrisy, it's unimaginable stupidity to think no-one else will notice. Plus it shows a total disregard for basic maths. Anyone who goes on about the environment whilst still taking flights, basically. I take flights, therefore I don't care that much.

I used to have a housemate like this. She was some sort of sustainability officer or whatever for Camden council, and was really into being 'green'. This meant buying an organic veg box each week (personally delivered to the door by van), most of which then rotted in the fridge as she spent most of her time at her boyfriend's flat and ate whatever he was cooking. She was all sustainable this and carbon-footprint that, then went on holiday with her BF to Thailand. Pretty sure she was actually the most wasteful, profligate and messy person I've ever met, let alone lived with. And whatever dubious good she managed to do for 'the' environment, her impact on our immediate domestic environment was pretty dire...

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Most people I've ever known who ahve gone on and on about the environment have been hopelessly apolitical cunts. Some of them have liked plastic bottles more than human beings. The people who owned the last shared house I lived in (will ever live in) were priceless examples. Everything had to go to compost, everything to recycling, and yet they flew a ridiculous number of times a year. I could have been burning plastic in the back garden for days and I'd still be 'winning', environmentally speaking.

One of the only people I know who bucks this trend has foregone flying completely, and for that I respect her.

Edit: I like the Green Party, from what I've read about them (not enough), as they seem to like human beings as well as the environment. Holistic thinking, I believe it is.

Edit 2: Liking your use of " 'the' environment ", Tea.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
quite coincidentally, what i came here to post is also evironment related (but i guess i fall squarely into the complainer category)

as a graphic designer, the proliferation of so many thousands of indulgent, wasteful, nonsense rubbish design books such as this do my fucking head in.
people who are seduced by it for 2 minutes and make an impulse buy will undoubtedly flip through it once, MAYBE twice, before shelving it to collect dust.

you walk into a design book shop and it seems at least 1/3 of all books on display are like this or partially like this.

minimalism and conceptual art is all fine, but don't do it in a way which involves wasting space, time, and resources.

don't these so called "designers" have any fucking sense of responsibility or conscience??
edit: flip through this book in the link by clicking NEXT above the second image.... shit is ridiculous. you cut down a hundred trees for THAT???

Last edited:

Leo

the proliferation of so many thousands of indulgent, wasteful, nonsense rubbish design books

i wonder if publishers are catering in some ways to the books-as-interior-decorating-accessory market in addition to the traditional book reading market? similar to the industry of oversized coffee table books, where i'm sure a certain percentage of sales go to people who are more interested in having something pretty and impressive on display in their apartment/house/office as opposed to actually wanting to read them.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Travel strikes. Ooh yay, let me just spend another 200 quid on booking last-minute alternative flights. Merry cunting Christmas.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sounds like I'll be able to get a refund on the train tickets, at least.

PBIDMHI: Online address forms with really inflexible formats that demand 'state/county' in addition to 'city', so that you redundantly have to give an address in 'London, Greater London'.

Also, forms where you have to pick 'country' from an alphabetical list of all the countries in the world. As the guy who writes The Oatmeal says, "Do I really have to scroll past North Korea and Shitfuckistan to find my country? Work out where most of your customers live and PUT THESE COUNTRIES AT THE TOP OF THE LIST."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I should start a dedicated "Why Michael O'Leary deserves to die with a cactus up his rectum" thread...

Two years ago the hand baggage allowance on Ryanair was 20kg. A year ago it was 15kg, and now it's 10kg. The allowed volume of a bag has shrunk, too. Pretty soon they're going to start charging you if you're wearing anything a bit bulky and weighing you on the way out and the way back to see if you've put on any weight. Fucking bloodsucking cunts.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Travelled with Ryanair last month against my better judgment, but didn't take any baggage, just to be entirely safe.

Agreed with those forms. How many people from Vanuatu precisely do you think ARE GOING TO USE YOUR SERVICE???!! Oh shit, I scrolled past.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Tea

Spare a thought for Michael O'Leary, Chief Executive of 'Ryanair'.......

Arriving in a hotel in Dublin, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Euro please, Mr. O'Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money.

"Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland"

"That is remarkable value" Michael comments

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be 3 euro please."

O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat. "Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra 2 euro. - You could have pre-book the seat, and it would have only cost you a Euro."

"I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please"

Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of EUR4.00 for your seat sir"

O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another 3 euro."

O'Leary was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager".

"Ah, I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be 2 euro please." O'Leary's face was red with rage.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr. O'Leary,"

"I've had enough, What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his E mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between
9 and 9.10 every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10 cent per second"

"I will never use this bar again"

"OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for one Euro".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Heh, nice one.

Also, what's with their much-vaunted status as "Europe's most on-time airline"? The reason they're always "on time" is that they schedule an hour for a flight that takes 40 minutes, so as long as they're no more than 20 minutes late they're "on time". And then when they land they play that fucking fanfair and announcement and you invariably have a bunch of witless cunts who start clapping and cheering, for fuck's sake. Presumably these same people whoop with joy and pump their fists whenever they put money in a vending machine, press a button and lo and behold, a chocolate bar appears at the bottom, AS IF BY MAGIC!!!

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
While Ryanair are indubitably a bunch of cunts, it is quite incredible how many travel options one has for very low fares these days. Guess I'd rather have them than not, though I always travel with zero(ish) luggage, just in case they make up some wankerish new rule in the time it takes me to get to the airport.

In the same vein as Ryanair, I hate restuarants that seem to have very reasonable prices, before you realise that they're charging £5 for 'sides', ie any carbohydrates. Just tell me the fucking price for the whole thing!

slowtrain

Sounds like I'll be able to get a refund on the train tickets, at least.

PBIDMHI: Online address forms with really inflexible formats that demand 'state/county' in addition to 'city', so that you redundantly have to give an address in 'London, Greater London'.

Also, forms where you have to pick 'country' from an alphabetical list of all the countries in the world. As the guy who writes The Oatmeal says, "Do I really have to scroll past North Korea and Shitfuckistan to find my country? Work out where most of your customers live and PUT THESE COUNTRIES AT THE TOP OF THE LIST."

I think the trick is you just click the first letter of your country and it takes you directly there.

e.g., pressing your "U" and "N" keys in quick succession, and it will take you to United Kingdom

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I go between finding him amusing and dreadful. 2011 Wipe was shit.

He can be funny at times but I find him incredibly obnoxious and dull. Could probably go into any pub in the country and find a Charlie Brooker ranting in the corner.

For me, he falls into the same category as Mitchell and Webb (bar Peep Show). Humour that's not particularly intelligent, not particularly stupid and not particularly funny. Occupies this smug middle ground.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
For me, he falls into the same category as Mitchell and Webb (bar Peep Show). Humour that's not particularly intelligent, not particularly stupid and not particularly funny. Occupies this smug middle ground.

Agreed that M&W's sketch show isn't a patch on Peep Show - although in fairness it varies a lot, they have some fairly good gags sometimes I think - but I'm not sure I'd call it 'smug', as such. For me, smug comedy is Gervais's stand-up (ugh), Frankie Boyle and maybe Jimmy Carr (whom I nonetheless often find funny despite myself).

More generally, I think 'smug' is rather overused around these parts and is in danger of becoming a more or less meaningless catch-all term for anything one doesn't like or feels superior to. If it's genuinely how you feel about Mitchell and Webb's comedy then fair enough, but a lot of the time it's used on Dissensus I think it's basically just an easy way to dismiss something without having to think too hard about why you don't like it.

e/y

He can be funny at times but I find him incredibly obnoxious and dull. Could probably go into any pub in the country and find a Charlie Brooker ranting in the corner.

yeah, I think that's a very good way of putting it. when it concerns ''serious'' stuff it's very safe ranting - like often people will praise him for ''taking on'' Murdoch or Cameron, but he's not actually doing anything particularly brave or original. everyone knows they are cunts, so what? and his piece in the Guardian on the London riots was risible.

that said, I think his News Wipe series was generally pretty good, especially the segment about the handling by the news media of incidents like school shootings.

overall, I much prefer when he writes about pointless things, those columns can be pretty good I think.

Last edited: